Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 07:54 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend drying when half dry, especially if your hair frizzes. Let it air dry 10 minutes max and then break your hair in sections. You have to actually use your arm strength and wrap your hair around the brush while blowing it and pulling you hair down at the same time. If you don't want the ends flipped, you need to twirl your hair under. I have extremely long thick wavy/curly hair and only wear it straight, so I have to do this each time. If you have a straightening iron, you can go over it when done using the brush. If you hair is fine, I would not recommend a brush too large. I get all my brushes from Ulta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 09:08 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I’m sorry you were in an abusive relationship. I hope a healthy and happy one is in the future

I read about the sulfate free shampoo and tried it a few times. I have healthy hair and get compliments but when I used the sulfate free it didn’t get the hair feeling clean and looked dull in my opinion.
I also only used a little conditioner at the ends. Too much conditioner makes my hair look greasy and weighs it down

I would try no mousse and no leave in conditioner. I have long hair but I take a round paddle brush at the ends and pull down which is the opposite of what everyone here is saying. Everyone is different so a lot is what works on your hair.

Once an awhile I put a small amount of frizz control on my hair especially in a pony tail. Very small amount. I think people put too much and do too much to their hair it actually damages it or makes the hair harder to work with. Some products when washed out can still leave a small amount and it builds up overtime.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:00 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post

She has tried to show me twice how to use a round brush. I still can't get it to work. I put the brush under my hair and twirl it around to get my hair on the brush. I dry my hair on the brush. As soon as I pull the brush straight down, my hair flips out instead of being straight or curling slightly under. I hate this haircut so much.
Naturally the hair is going to straighten right out if you pull the brush out while your hair is still hot. Roll the hair up with your round brush, dry it or if already dry, let the air heat it up, remove the blower, AND LEAVE HAIR IN THE BRUSH FOR A FEW SECONDS UNTIL THE HAIR COOLS. Then you can remove the brush however you like. The only other thing I can think of is that you are taking too much hair into one "roll" so the heat can't get to all the hair.

It takes a little practice.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:22 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
Quote:
My Twitter friend was able to help me; she had to revise the cut as it was uneven and she had to do something to "the stack" but I didn't really understand what that was.

She walked me through using a round brush, then she re-wet my hair and coached me through it as I did it myself. That made all the difference.

I did it myself this morning and it's not perfect but it's a LOT better than it was. Between the coaching and revising the haircut, I think I'm on the right track.

Quote:
Full disclosure, I just got out of an abusive relationship (so did a close friend of mine, I posted a question about her situation when I first got here) and while I wasn't explicitly forbidden from cutting my hair, my STBX was very controlling and kept saying how he hated short hair on women. He looked at old pictures of me with almost this exact haircut and said things like "You look a lot better with long hair." He would get very upset when I went against his wishes so I knew I couldn't wear my hair the way I wanted even though he never said "Pizza, you are forbidden to cut your hair."

So this haircut was very meaningful and liberating for me but also very stressful when it wasn't working out right. I chose this haircut because I had had it in the past and had been able to style it without too much difficulty...so not being able to style it at all was pretty upsetting!

Not great when you're still pretty raw.

My advice to other ladies like me getting away from emotional/narcissistic abusers: maybe wait a bit longer than I did to cut your hair!
Kudos to getting away from this guy! AND, for going to your hairdresser friend, and letting her coach you through styling your hair!

As an added note: When some women leave their abuser's, one of the first things they do is cut their hair. It's almost like, a symbolic claim to their own autonomy. A fresh start...*MY* way.

Congrats!

Old 06-03-2023, 06:37 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I would say too much conditioner for sure. Barely damp hair. Twirl the brush, and slowly twirl your hair out of the brush. Pulling it straight down will pull the curl out. I like the round brushes with the mental "core" to them as they grab the heat.

You may have a build up of condition and/or mousse. I would rise in either vinegar or if your hair is dark, strong brewed coffee will remove build up, but when I use a very dark coffee, it plays down my grey hairs, which for some would be good and others not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care