Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 06:25 AM

674 posts, read 333,485 times

Advertisements

I just got a bob haircut.

For reference:

I have very few gray hairs so they are not a factor in my hair's unruliness.

My hair is a little wavy naturally but is much more straight than not.

I have baby-fine hair but it's not super-thin.

I'm using multiple sizes of round brushes and a regular hairdryer. I wash my hair with sulfate-free shampoo and use both conditioner and leave-in conditioner (per my hairdresser's strong recommendations). I also use mousse (again per her recommendation).

She told me to dry my hair "to 50% dry," whatever that means. I don't know what that means.

She has tried to show me twice how to use a round brush. I still can't get it to work. I put the brush under my hair and twirl it around to get my hair on the brush. I dry my hair on the brush. As soon as I pull the brush straight down, my hair flips out instead of being straight or curling slightly under. I hate this haircut so much. Don't even get me started on "sectioning." I can't section my own hair to save my life. I try. And fail. Every morning.

I'm ready to literally shave my head at this point.

I've watched multiple YouTube tutorials; they aren't helpful since the vast majority of them are someone round-brushing someone else's hair or they're a professional hairdresser round-brushing their own hair. I need a civilian in their own sloppy bathroom juggling a dryer and a round brush like I do.

Or a hairdresser to show me once and for all what I'm doing wrong...AND LET ME DO IT INSTEAD OF WATCHING THEM DO IT.

I even paid my hairdresser for a tutorial that involved me holding a mirror and watching HER work. This is not helpful. I am obviously the problem. If watching her do it was enough, I wouldn't need a tutorial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 06:45 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
My hair is very much like yours, baby fine but straight with no waves. I have a chin length bob. For me, I cannot use conditioner and especially not leave in conditioner. It weighs down my hair, and I lose any slight body that might be there.

Mine tends to wing up on the sides when I use a round brush, unless I do the side kind of at an angle. I sort of frame my face with the brush if that makes sense.

Also, I don’t have the coordination to use an actual round brush AND a blow dryer together. I have a round brush blow dryer.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
My hair is very much like yours, baby fine but straight with no waves. I have a chin length bob. For me, I cannot use conditioner and especially not leave in conditioner. It weighs down my hair, and I lose any slight body that might be there.

Mine tends to wing up on the sides when I use a round brush, unless I do the side kind of at an angle. I sort of frame my face with the brush if that makes sense.

Also, I don’t have the coordination to use an actual round brush AND a blow dryer together. I have a round brush blow dryer.

Hope this helps.
I'm having trouble finding a round brush blow dryer that's actually round instead of oval. Several people have recommended the same two tools to me; tried them both, they're both oval. Neither worked and both were very large and heavy and hard to manage (one was the Tigi BedHead Blowout tool).

Old 05-16-2023, 07:24 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
I'm having trouble finding a round brush blow dryer that's actually round instead of oval. Several people have recommended the same two tools to me; tried them both, they're both oval. Neither worked and both were very large and heavy and hard to manage (one was the Tigi BedHead Blowout tool).
Mine is revlon. Definitely round, not heavy at all. I think it’s a 1.5 inch barrel. Check Amazon.

Have you ever used a curling iron on it? When my hair starts getting a little longer, the brush blower doesn’t quite work as well so I use a curling iron, same size barrel. Just to touch up mostly the sides.

I think you she try not using the conditioner and leave-in, and see how your hair works without it. Unless your hair is very damaged, it shouldn’t make a huge difference in the condition of your hair. My opinion, anyway.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Mine is revlon. Definitely round, not heavy at all. I think it’s a 1.5 inch barrel. Check Amazon.

Have you ever used a curling iron on it? When my hair starts getting a little longer, the brush blower doesn’t quite work as well so I use a curling iron, same size barrel. Just to touch up mostly the sides.

I think you she try not using the conditioner and leave-in, and see how your hair works without it. Unless your hair is very damaged, it shouldn’t make a huge difference in the condition of your hair. My opinion, anyway.
I don't have a curling iron (or a straightening iron).

I'll look for the Revlon one; I actually did look on Amazon and there's only a billion of these tools there and it's hard to find a needle in a haystack; I'll probably shop elsewhere for it.

Thanks.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:25 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Are you using clips to section your hair? That's how I've done it for decades. Then you only need to focus and worry about one small section at a time.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Are you using clips to section your hair? That's how I've done it for decades. Then you only need to focus and worry about one small section at a time.

I tried that. I'm still failing miserably.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:47 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Do some experimenting. Your hair sounds similar to mine, although I haven't any gray. Bend over and dry your hair completely dry. See how that looks. Try different angles when using the round brush. Instead of pulling hair forward when using the round brush try pulling it sideways or back. It seems counter intuitive but I find it stops the outward flip that the hair wants to do. Also try a half round instead of a round.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:48 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Trying to understand how someone doesn't understand 50% (HALF) dry.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Trying to understand how someone doesn't understand 50% (HALF) dry.
Feel free to explain it to me like I'm 5 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care