Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 05:15 PM

10,985 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

LOL, I'm a female! My father, a centenarian, still has a fair amount of hair. No baldies in our family. My paternal grandfather died in his mid-70's with a full head of black hair. His wife, my grandmother started going grey in her 20's. I started going grey in my early 40's. I'm not worried about losing my hair now after seeking various solutions in the past couple of weeks. Obviously it's not going to be as thick as 20-30-40-50 years ago. Baldness comes from the mother's side of the family genetically, and there's no baldness on that side, either. I think baldness on men can and does look really good. Not so much for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 08:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
^^I THOUGHT you are female! Us girls want to keep our hair!

I just remembered something else that used to be prescribed for female hair loss, I don’t know if it is still in use. It’s spironolactone, which is a blood pressure med. I never used it, but a friend of mine did & her hair loss stopped & it regrew.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post

I just remembered something else that used to be prescribed for female hair loss, I don’t know if it is still in use. It’s spironolactone, which is a blood pressure med. I never used it, but a friend of mine did & her hair loss stopped & it regrew.
Dang straight! One reason is, I've tried on wigs and they look awful. Other women can put them on and look fine (natural). I don't know what it is, but I'm not going to be wearing any wigs It's really odd. Even the well-made ones look ridiculous. Too bad, because I would wear wig if I needed/wanted to.

That's interesting about the blood pressure medication. I have low blood pressure but even if I didn't, would I/should I/could I take that?!

Old 11-16-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's interesting about the blood pressure medication. I have low blood pressure but even if I didn't, would I/should I/could I take that?!
I don’t know, you would have to see Dr. & get a prescription. Where I live, I can’t get to see a Dr. for hardly anything, so I’m just throwing it out there.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:52 PM

https://youtu.be/kpXtJpN4LZA?si=Jf5UWCK8p3QuyNWM

This MD has also experienced his own hair loss. This episode is all about hair loss treatment for women.

Old 11-18-2023, 12:39 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Metlakatla, thank you for reminding me about that. I had read about it earlier this year and thought it would be a good idea (rosemary oil) even before the hair loss. I have some oil from 6-7 years ago so probably need to get some fresh. I agree about all the hype, so I'm careful where I buy it. You're fortunate that you can use mint. Several years ago I tried using hair care with mint in it (Pureology, which is a high quality company; there's something about my biochemistry that mint makes my hair fall out. I gave those products to my daughter who didn't have a problem. Go figure.

Mitch, yes I've considered minoxidil. I understand that you have to keep taking it or your hair situation will regress. I don't care about side effects. I'm old enough that I just don't care anymore, unless of course the side effects are severe - which I don't think they are?

movinon, yes, I'm going to my doctor today to have my thyroid checked. It's a walk-in clinic. My mother "took thyroid" as she called it, for 46 years; started when she was 40. I had my thyroid checked about 8 years ago. It was right on the borderline so I asked my doctor to prescribe it. Well, I read the side effects and decided not to take it at that time. Again, I'm old enough now that I just don't care anymore about side effects. I'd rather have whatever benefits that levothyroxine will provide.

Now here's a kicker:
I had a followup with a rheumatologist yesterday. My ortho surgeon had sent me because I kept having inflammation in my ankles for months. I found out that I don't have RA but the doctor prescribed - get this - hydroyquinoline, that stuff that nobody could get 2-3 years ago at the height of the pandemic! WTH. I read the side effects: hair loss. Not taking it. I can fix inflammation by improving my diet and getting up off my ass and being more active! And why would I take that when I don't have RA? Again,

For now, I've decided to use rosemary oil, start taking my vitamins again (including Biotin - it really does seem to help!), improving diet and taking Levothyroxine.
Just because the blood test for RA came back negative does not mean that you don't have RA. It just means that the markers for it has not been detected. It could be seronegative. For hair loss, I've been recommended to take oral Folic acid or folic acid in a multivitamin.

Old 11-18-2023, 04:13 PM

Interesting. The doctor was very rushed, rather dismissive and quickly prescribed hydroxyquinoline which I will not take. Too many doctors prescribing intense drugs with side effects. I have to analyze these situations and choose my battles (prescriptions). However, I will try to find out about the markers.

I do take a very good women's multivitamin with a decent amount of folic acid in it, but I had stopped taking it for awhile. Another reason the hair might have been affected. I might add a side supplement because the multivite I take only has 43% of RDA. It's rather crazy-making when some multi-vites given you way too much of one thing (way over the RDA) and not enough of another (under the RDA). They have their reasons for their formulas, I suppose. I've been taking this one for years and it's done well by me.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:39 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Costco's Capillus Pro Cap is back, $270 off.
Read reviews online. Some people find it helpful. Fast results are promised.
And, l guess, you can return easily.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:44 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post

Yes! Several studies are very positive.

Old 03-03-2024, 06:02 PM

Cool!

I saw this just now it popped up in my news feed. I don't doubt it. It's full of good nutrients I used to feed it to my dogs through bones I got at the butcher had to be careful because it's very high in calories but I'll bet it is very good for the scalp.
https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/10...th-tricks-diy/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care