Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 11:28 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Definitely a cool topic. Do you have actual maps/graphics to go with the data you're pulling?

Old 06-13-2019, 12:55 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
When I grew up I also lived in the Northwest part of Va. Beach, my favorite area of VB. Interesting fact: I worked at Bayville Park for 5 years in the early 1990's.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:00 AM

71 posts, read 65,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Bob, cool recollections.
You might be talking about Constitution, as it cuts from VB Blvd to Independence (behind Pembroke Mall). I remember a Bradlees Dept store there in the 80s, and was told it was a Robert Hall Village prior. The Bradlees folded in the early 90s (if I'm remembering right). And then there was a beat-up KMart for years.

Did u drive thru Pembroke on your recent visit.., that building is now a giant tile/flooring retailer..
Nope, I just checked google maps, and it was Independence. I did see Pembroke Mall last summer. When Pembroke opened, where Target is now was a Food Fair supermarket. Sears was on one end (I think it's still there), and Miller & Rhoads was on the other. At the corner of Jeanne St. and Constitution Dr. (parking for Target now?) was a cinema where I saw the movie Alien when it first came out.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:10 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHoward View Post
Sears was on one end (I think it's still there), and Miller & Rhoads was on the other. At the corner of Jeanne St. and Constitution Dr. (parking for Target now?) was a cinema where I saw the movie Alien when it first came out.
(Bob) yeah that Sears was there for about 50 years, but closed recently. The space was carved up, and part of it is now a grocery store (Fresh Market).

I remember the old, giant free-standing theater outside Pembroke. It was unique bcuz it was a circular building. Back in the 80s, they had cheap summer movies for kids. I think it was 'Ultra Vision', which was a specific type of circle theater building (?) peace..

Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Definitely a cool topic. Do you have actual maps/graphics to go with the data you're pulling?
No, I don't. I dont even know how to create a map but that would be a great idea to help visualize the data!

Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Default Southeast Virginia Beach

Population
•72,090 (2017 ACS)
•41.15 mi² across 10 neighborhoods
•1,752 ppmi² population density

Southeast VB has 16.6% of the city's population in 28.4% of the city's land area (north of Green Line)...

Diversity
•Southeast is 70.3% white, 13.4% black, 4% Asian, and 7.5% Latino...
•6.9% of Southeast's population is foreign born...
•Atlantic Park is the most diverse neighborhood; northern Sandbridge is the least diverse neighborhood...
•whitest neighborhoods: northern Sandbridge (88.5%); South End (86.9%); Red Mill (82.5%)...
•blackest neighborhoods: Atlantic Park (35%); Seatack (24.9%); Oceana (18.6%)...
•most Asian neighborhoods: Lynnhaven-London Bridge (9.1%); Princess Anne (5.2%); Atlantic Park (4.4%)...
•most Latino neighborhoods: Dam Neck (14%); Oceana (12.3%); Seatack (9.7%)...

Economics
•Southeast VB has a median household income of $77,436, compared to a 10.9% poverty rate...
•northern Sandbridge is the wealthiest neighborhood; Seatack is the poorest neighborhood...

Education
•93.5% of Southeast residents have a high school diploma...
•36% of Southeast residents have a four-year degree...

Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Default Southeast area characteristics

Southeast Virginia Beach has the lowest population density of any of the quadrants, as over 40% of the land area is military grounds in the Oceana and Dam Neck areas. Southeast is mostly suburban-to-rural in character....

Sandbridge is a neighborhood and tourist area that stretches across the Green Line. As the motivation of this research was to map VB above the Green Line primarily, Sandbridge is unique in that it straddles the Green Line so I had to break it up. There is no such thing as "northern Sandbridge", and if someone is interested in stats on the entire Sandbridge area, I can provide that. As it is, the portion of Sandbridge that is above the Green Line is the strip north if Sandbridge Road...

Virginia Beach's municipal services largely run out of the Princess Anne neighborhood...

Ocean Breeze Waterpark is in Southeast...

I define the border area between SE and SW VB at Lynnhaven Pkwy. West of Lynnhaven is characteristically more urban and more demographically diverse, east of Lynnhaven is more suburban and much less diverse. You can see the trends too at the neighborhoods immediately to each side of Lynnhaven. As it is, Lynnhaven Mall and retail area I'd technically consider SE VB, but it is literally right on that border. Neighborhoods going directly west of the mall take on the characteristics I mentioned above, and the areas going east shape in a different fashion...

Lynnhaven and Red Mill are the primary retail and shopping districts in Southeast Virginia Beach, and General Booth Blvd is another retail and dining artery...

SE and NE quadrants both illustrate that if VB were divided into just an eastern and western half, the eastern half of the city is more segregated and wealthier than the western half of the city...

Southeast neighborhoods (alphabetical):
Atlantic Park, Dam Neck, Lynnhaven-London Bridge, Oceana, Ocean Lakes, Princess Anne, Red Mill, Sandbridge, Seatack, South End/Rudee...

Old 07-18-2019, 07:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Hey murksiderock! I love this info on VB . Can you do Norfolk? Im esp interested in Tidewater Dr, Granby. Thanks so much!

Old 07-29-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Hey murksiderock! I love this info on VB . Can you do Norfolk? Im esp interested in Tidewater Dr, Granby. Thanks so much!
Yep, I'm finishing up The Beach today then I'll do Norfolk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area