Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 08:04 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
That is an interesting map. Locals seem to prefer to call areas by name in my experience rather than by direction such as Pembroke (now Town Center?), Little Neck or Redmill as examples. Perhaps due to water being everywhere that divides or the transient nature of the city.. idk..
You are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 06:14 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Ok maybe I'm thinking about it wrong? The hwys already "map it as a plus sign" but, no one calls the oceanfront and the adjacent inland areas "north or south" on either side of 21st street. If our miles of shoreline were straight which they are not, maybe that would make sense to me. Or maybe look closer to greatneck rd instead of staying on 264 as you come closer to the oceanfront?
Yeah you're just thinking about it wrong, but it's all good and I take no offense!

My only problem with using Great Neck Rd as a boundary is its too far east, I think you're already comfortably on the eastern side of the city but admittedly the entire project is subjective and ambitious, so not a big deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
That is an interesting map. Locals seem to prefer to call areas by name in my experience rather than by direction such as Pembroke (now Town Center?), Little Neck or Redmill as examples. Perhaps due to water being everywhere that divides or the transient nature of the city.. idk..
This is true and while I think we all understand this (we've all pointed this out), the city is massive and in attempting to map it out, I think it's easier for me to break it down into geographical quadrants. The way The Beach has developed, and the shape of the city, make it easier to divide into "NW/SW/NE/SE" than "N/S/E/W" in my opinion...

People do identify areas of town by name, no disagreement there...

Old 10-26-2021, 05:15 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Mapping Norfolk

Over the next few days I'll unveil my results for mapping the city of Norfolk. Understand that a lot of the boundaries are fluid and in some cases there are disagreements within people who live in the same area on what neighborhood borders are, but I think its pretty cool to get a base to work from...

I'm still working on how to best create a map showing the actual neighborhoods, but to help I'll post Nfk city's official neighborhood map:

https://www.norfolk.gov/923/Neighborhood-Service-Areas

For residents current or former of Norfolk, I definitely want to hear from you guys. Once I have everything from Norfolk posted, I'll work on updating my Virginia Beach figures from two years ago...

Neighborhoods were defined as stated by official Norfolk city designations and mapped by recognized borders and stringing together Census tracts...

Here we go, presenting Norfolk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area