Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 09:38 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,933,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Ive been looking at cottage homes on Granby. Oddly, its potentially the quietest area I will ever live in (Im currently in a big Townhome high density development in Dulles Intl flight paths). Im not interested in living in Ghent (neighbor /Stereo/Party noise at all hours) but like to be close to Ghent and OV Beaches.
Crime looks block by block.
How is daily living in Cromwell Farms/East Belvedere?
East Belvedere and Cromwell Farms are in one of Norfolk's nicest areas, in my opinion. I used to live off Granby in West Ocean View and always loved taking Granby downtown for work just to pass through the Belvedere section and Riverview. Never lived in those neighborhoods myself, but they seem really quiet, established, and low crime. Be sure to check the flood maps though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 08:39 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,114 times
I just visited and could not believe the change to East Ocean View! Pretty Lake was the hood years ago, and now there are new homes and even my favorite restaurants is there on Pretty Lake now! East Beach is all new where is used to be the hood. What is goin on with East Beach in Ocean View? Also, I went to a really cool evening at Ocean View Beach Park for fireworks and good live music, was a good time in the OV!

Old 07-13-2021, 09:05 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,933,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
I just visited and could not believe the change to East Ocean View! Pretty Lake was the hood years ago, and now there are new homes and even my favorite restaurants is there on Pretty Lake now! East Beach is all new where is used to be the hood. What is goin on with East Beach in Ocean View? Also, I went to a really cool evening at Ocean View Beach Park for fireworks and good live music, was a good time in the OV!
Haven't been back to Norfolk for a few years, but I know EOV has gone through some major transformations. Even friends in VB, who used to turn their nose up at OV, have been known to hang out there now. Just wish there was better public transit that was part of that redevelopment (maybe there is now?).

Last I heard is that gentrification wave is moving its way down OV Ave into West OV too. Seems the days of Norfolk's gritty/beachy neighborhood are numbered! But what is a city if it isn't in flux?

Old 07-17-2021, 07:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,458,097 times
Yes if you want low crime and it is more integrated here than it is in some other cities, particularly the Midwest, but no because it is very expensive and Norfolk and Virginia Beach in particular attract a lot of narcissists trying to be cool and real estate developers take advantage of that. So they are overpriced. Norfolk has a lot of people that would be better served in Brooklyn, but cannot afford Brooklyn or may not like how big Brooklyn is and how insignificant larger cities like New York and Los Angeles can make a person feel at times. These people want to stay on the coast and would never go for cities like Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Detroit so they end up Richmond or Norfolk. Feel free to eat artisanal granola and pay $20 for a cupcake like everyone else.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,894,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
East Belvedere and Cromwell Farms are in one of Norfolk's nicest areas, in my opinion. I used to live off Granby in West Ocean View and always loved taking Granby downtown for work just to pass through the Belvedere section and Riverview. Never lived in those neighborhoods myself, but they seem really quiet, established, and low crime. Be sure to check the flood maps though.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area