Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 08:33 PM

98 posts, read 95,119 times

Advertisements

I am looking at Norfolk, Virginia as a possible place to live. Seems like a really cool area. Close to a lot of history and the beach, which is what I love. I want to live further south than where I'm coming from. Seems friendly. That drive over chesapeake bay to get there looks gorgeous! Overall, it seems like a really nice place to be. If any of you locals have any input on this, I would really appreciate to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 09:02 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Do you have a job here? Why Norfolk?

Old 11-07-2020, 03:09 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times
Depends where you live - looks can be deceiving

Old 11-08-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Do you have a job here? Why Norfolk?
I may have a job lined up in Norfolk. In the process of trying to get one. And I like it because of all the history close by, the beach close by, and the area seems nice and friendly. And I like the idea of being in a smaller city instead of a bigger city.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Depends where you live - looks can be deceiving
What are some good areas to live? And where should I avoid?

Old 11-15-2020, 04:35 AM

125 posts, read 121,702 times
Norfolk in general is ghetto and run down. Many nicer options in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach which is a quick drive to Norfolk in most cases.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:44 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
When looking at a place to live, look into street flooding. In many places in the city, it is a regular occurrence and problem when there is a high tide.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:04 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,339 times
Yes, no, and maybe.

Hampton Roads is like a sweepstakes: Many will enter, few will win.

I highly encourage you to visit this place first and spend a week here. Go out during rush hour. Go to the stores in the evening. Visit the different cities, because each brings its own pluses and minuses to the table.

It's really going to come down to what kind of salary you're pulling. Norfolk is typically very well off, or very not. There is not much middle class to speak of. The middle class typically lives in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake and commutes over.

Are you looking to rent or buy? Taxes are high on "nice" homes in Norfolk and you don't get much bang for your buck from that tax money. The schools are atrocious if that is important.

All that said, Norfolk has a magical feel to it and character that isn't matched in the surrounding cities. I truly love visiting Norfolk, but would never consider actually living there. The surrounding suburbs in VA Beach and Chesapeake are pretty generic and packed with overpriced apartments and sardine-can neighborhoods with worthless HOAs. You can always move a bit further out to the country, but house prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years and considering the high real estate tax and fact that you're likely not using city water or sewer, you're not getting much for your money.

Not sure if you're from Virginia, but just remember that the Virginia of today is not the Virginia of yesteryear. We get taxed from every angle, from car tax to high real estate taxes in many areas to an ever-increasing income tax.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:33 AM

21 posts, read 17,608 times
I know this is a bit late... not sure if you've moved yet, but I like Norfolk a lot. As others have stated, there are parts that are ridiculously expensive, other parts that are low income with more crime, and areas that are in between. My mother purchased an older condo right in the heart of Ghent (which is a quaint area) for under $155k. Though there aren't many condos in Ghent for that price, every now and again you can find them and they're in solid condition (though older). I'm from Boston, MA and have lived in South Hampton Roads for 14 years. I've lived in Virginia Beach most of the time but lived in Norfolk for 2 years (near Granby High School). I've worked mostly in Norfolk. I find people are a bit more laid back and nicer overall compared to Virginia Beach. lol

Good Luck!

Old 03-08-2021, 08:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi_thoughts View Post
I know this is a bit late... not sure if you've moved yet, but I like Norfolk a lot. As others have stated, there are parts that are ridiculously expensive, other parts that are low income with more crime, and areas that are in between. My mother purchased an older condo right in the heart of Ghent (which is a quaint area) for under $155k. Though there aren't many condos in Ghent for that price, every now and again you can find them and they're in solid condition (though older). I'm from Boston, MA and have lived in South Hampton Roads for 14 years. I've lived in Virginia Beach most of the time but lived in Norfolk for 2 years (near Granby High School). I've worked mostly in Norfolk. I find people are a bit more laid back and nicer overall compared to Virginia Beach. lol

Good Luck!
Ive been looking at cottage homes on Granby. Oddly, its potentially the quietest area I will ever live in (Im currently in a big Townhome high density development in Dulles Intl flight paths). Im not interested in living in Ghent (neighbor /Stereo/Party noise at all hours) but like to be close to Ghent and OV Beaches.
Crime looks block by block.
How is daily living in Cromwell Farms/East Belvedere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area