Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM

94 posts, read 388,926 times

Advertisements

Long story short, don't have my guy anymore to inspect my cars.

Need to find a friendly inspection station (i.e. one that does not nitpick on details sp. modified cars/trucks) in VA Beach? Any suggestions?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 AM

98 posts, read 784,270 times
AAA car care center on Great Neck Rd. Have used them twice. They get busy though so be sure to be first in the am or leave your truck there all day.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
is it an older car?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks yall...ended up using BP service station on 17th street. Passed without problems or questions, works for me. Just a 3" lift and 32's on my truck, and an older gas sipper (265K miles plus) - so nothing crazy to really worry about but nice not to worry at all...

Not saying it will happen every time I go there but for now works for me...

Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM

209 posts, read 771,363 times
I fear taking my car for an inspection here. I'm keeping my WV license as long as I can. I've already had a cop question me about my exhaust system. I kind of wish he would of gave me a ticket because he was a real... um.. not nice person. I'd loved to walk into court with proof that my car is all stock. fufufu

Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 AM

328 posts, read 1,540,067 times
Hmm..did the PO pull you over just for your loud pipes/exhaust or what was the initial reason for the stop??

Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,696 times
Stay away from Tune Up Plus (any of them) They are notorious for pushing their managers to sell sell sell.............can easily walk away with a 1,000 dollar bill.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM

He was sitting down at the car shop when I pulled up. I knocked her down into first gear and it revved. It didn't even rev that much! Just shot up to 3k; She idles at 1k. When I got out, he went, "Well son, what you got on that car? Doesn't sound stack to me." I almost went, "That's too bad because the law says nothing about sounding stock." but I'm new here and I can't get away with being mean to prick cops. And who makes a law that depends on how loud the police say something is? Add a Db level and stop depending on people how might not have good hearing.

Interesting little tidbit. I went to a rod shop over the weekend and they WOULD NOT install duals on my car. They told me that since my car didn't come with them, they would be illegal. I pointed out that when you get a car like mine, you can get one with single or dual pipes. They still would not do it. Why is everything considered illegal here? D: Here I am, prepared to shell out 600-700 bux for a new exhaust, and they wouldn't do it... I'm depressed now. :/

Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 AM

That doesn't sound right - maybe they meant a true dual exhaust system just wouldn't sound right on your car so they didn't want to do it (versus single exhaust dual outlet). Or maybe straight pipes? Those are illegal in VA - you need that catalytic converter on the exhaust. Oceana brakes and muffler does custom exhaust work and they are pretty cool...I'd check with them. Though, just a matter of opinion, anything without a v8 and duals isn't going to sound very good and most muffler shops are likely to agree...but that is a whole other forum and thread...

Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 AM

I don't wanna post what kind of car I got here, because I'd rather not have it attacked because I pissed someone here off, but I can give you my word that my V6 will sound good with pipes. > I've got a couple of buddies that have the same setup on their cars and it's great. And I was going to go true-dual or 1 in 2 out, but they gave me such a hassle I just walked out.

I think the problem with the laws here is they are vague. It can be read in such a way that anything not stock is illegal. Also, it's at the policeman's digression. If you **** him/her off enough, they can write you up for exhaust and won't even be questioned. Like I said, the laws concerning custom exhaust need to be rewritten and remove the laws for window tinting. The Federal government, if I'm not mistaking, already has a law stating that windows should be no darker than 35% on cars all around and on trucks it's 35% for front, anything for 50% back, and anything for the rear window. I really don't understand this state. Too many stupid laws, no offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area