Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 32,597 times

Advertisements

I've been in Hampton Roads for 4 years and I really dislike this area for the reasons listed..

1. Why in the HE!! do people slow down when they're about to go to the HRBT! C'mon it's only a tunnel it's not that serious.

2. If I see another driver in front of me turn without using their turn signal I think I will catch a serious case of road rage and have to take a charge for assault lol!

3. For the people that live in Newport News and Hampton. How in the He!! do you live in the area all your life but never go across the water. I mean there's more to this area beside the Peninsula.

4. Too much ghetto trash within the area. I came from pretty much a seedy area of Brooklyn but the people out here seem to be 25 years behind, Why would you not expose yourself to different things. You rather stay in your area and have 8-10 kids by time your 30 years old (damaged Goods)

5. Lack Of Cultural Diversity, Lack of Museums, Theatre, Not Pedestrian Friendly and It's just too slow for me. I'm tired of the fact everything shuts down at 2AM I'm used to staying out in NY until Daylight in the Summertime which is at least 6AM.

6. I can't get a Good Boar's Head Turkey and Cheese Hero.

In Conclusion the reason why I came to VA was basically for a change of pace. I have family out here so they helped me out. I received my Driver's license and once I finish college (August 09) I'm outta here I'm going to DC, Charlotte, NC or back to NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown1225 View Post
I've been in Hampton Roads for 4 years and I really dislike this area for the reasons listed..

1. Why in the HE!! do people slow down when they're about to go to the HRBT! C'mon it's only a tunnel it's not that serious.

2. If I see another driver in front of me turn without using their turn signal I think I will catch a serious case of road rage and have to take a charge for assault lol!

3. For the people that live in Newport News and Hampton. How in the He!! do you live in the area all your life but never go across the water. I mean there's more to this area beside the Peninsula.

4. Too much ghetto trash within the area. I came from pretty much a seedy area of Brooklyn but the people out here seem to be 25 years behind, Why would you not expose yourself to different things. You rather stay in your area and have 8-10 kids by time your 30 years old (damaged Goods)

5. Lack Of Cultural Diversity, Lack of Museums, Theatre, Not Pedestrian Friendly and It's just too slow for me. I'm tired of the fact everything shuts down at 2AM I'm used to staying out in NY until Daylight in the Summertime which is at least 6AM.

In Conclusion the reason why I came to VA was basically for a change of pace. I have family out here so they helped me out. I received my Driver's license and once I finish college (August 09) I'm outta here I'm going to DC, Charlotte, NC or back to NY
Can;t help ya on too much, but if you go to farmers market on Dam Neck and Princesses Anne, they might be able to fix you up with the hero.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
sorry you feel that way, kinda like when we escape from our home towns. I like the "seek and you shall find" phrase the most, but I will never get a fresh lake perch fry on a friday nite unless I go back there!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:35 PM

31 posts, read 96,350 times
Quote:

i think closing at 2am is pretty standard... if you need to be out partyng til the sun is rising than i would of never suggested va to you.... go back to ny or try cali... maybe miami...

i think you'll have road rage everywhere... you should relax in general

and some people find what they like and are happy... sure it's good to explore areas... but it'd probably make traffic a lot easier if those people stay on the "penisula" area anyway! :P

good luck wherever you go, but accept that these things don't sound particular just to va

Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,673 times
Quote:

1. I ask myself that same question. I've actually driven into the tunnel @ 70mph and didn't touch the brakes with no problems. I still don't know why people brake. That's why there is always a back up.

2. You'll pretty much get this anywhere. But it is frustrating, especially when they slow down to a snail's pace, and THEN put on their turn signal!

5. I totally agree with you on this one! This area is very slow paced, and it sucks that everything closes @ 2am! It would be nice if places would stay open all night!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:25 PM

209 posts, read 771,430 times
I was floored when I found a Chinese church. I'm sooooooo temped to go there just to see how the place works.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
Quote:

1. I hate the tunnel and try to drive as fast as I can to get out of there, so I can't answer this one for you!
2. Lack of turn signal usage bothers me as well but I've noticed that no matter what city I am in, this is a growing problem due to cell phone usuage!!!
3. Again, I hate the tunnel and the bridge so I try not to travel to Va Beach too often. Also, the traffic makes me want to stay on this side of town~Williamsburg
4. WOW!!! 8-10 kids by 30! I have some catching up to do! I only have 2!!!
5. I would have to disagree with this one! I am from Atlanta and have lived in Houston as well and I think that this area offers a lot to see and do and offers a lot of history and culture that you don't get in other areas.
6. Sorry about that!

I hope that when you graduate in 09 that you are able to move to DC! I love DC and just got back from a vacation there this past Monday! I think that Charlotte offers a great life style for young single men and women and offers a great family atmosphere but I would choose DC any day over Charlotte! Anyway, good luck with graduation and hopefully you'll find your way to DC!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,570 times
My same concerns basically and I live in Newport News and yea I will be relocating to Washington, D.C. within the next two years..

Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
My same concerns basically and I live in Newport News and yea I will be relocating to Washington, D.C. within the next two years..
Then expect to sit in traffic for most of your commute to and from wherever you go. If you decide not to drive, your life revolves around a schedule. It's just the way it goes, no matter where you live. There's always some sort of traffic unless you are a one stop light town.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM

41 posts, read 128,061 times
Quote:

Why do people move here from places like New York and Chicago and expect EXACTLY the same amount of attractions/nightlife? This is like me moving to St. Louis and wondering why there isn't an ocean beach 30 minutes from my house! Yes, the HRBT is the most baffling stretch of road ever, but that's why the MMMBT was built, people have more sense diving through that tunnel, even if it is slightly out of the way. I don't know anyone in the situation of #4... and I've lived here my whole life. #5 doesn't make any sense. You can't have all of this history, folks from all over the country (which helps explain the tunnel-phobes), and a growing international community without having culture? I'll admit that we aren't very pedestrian-friendly overall, but there are plenty of spots perfect for walking. Sorry that the clubs close at 2AM; but outside of NYC, Chicago, LA, DC, Miami and Vegas, there really aren't too many places that are open all night, and a lot of cities are silent after 10 PM. And I ignored the museum thing. Clearly you have not been here very long. Chrysler's Museum, Hermitage Foundation, Thorogood House, Mariner's Museum, VA Air and Space Museum, Nauticus, VA Aquarium, VA Sports Hall of Fame, Lightship Museum, VA Living Museum, Children's Museum, Yorktown, Dismal Swamp, Jamestown Settlement, COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG, Hampton University Museum, Moses Myers house, Lynnhaven House, Old Coast guard Station, Nansemond Indian Museum, Ocean View Museum, Isle of Wight Museum, First Landing Cross/Cape Henry lighthouse, and many others.
Sure, DC has more to offer. It's a lot bigger and more famous. Maybe, just maybe, Charlotte does too (I really doubt it in the way of historical significance and museums). But Hampton Roads does just fine for its size. VA is completely unique and if you can't handle that, you don't have to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area