Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 PM

737 posts, read 1,465,216 times

Advertisements

People need to realize that there is more to life and being happy then "nice weather"! I just tell friends and family from the mainland what it is really like living here(for us anyway) and they usually back off haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,056,832 times
It's not just island envy, it's also (insert any desirable location or action) envy. When you managed to achieve the things most people couldn't or wouldn't have the courage to do, you could count on being the recipient of a few negative remarks.

When my wife left to live in Europe, (I stayed behind for another 3.5 years to finish my 30-year labor in the workforce), people said: "How can you leave your children behind? Why can't you wait for your husband to go with you? Do you only care about yourself?" Then they came to visit her, and after oohing and ahhing, said, "Why did you buy an 800-year-old house, it's pretty now that you fixed it up, but it can't be very comfortable, can it? And why are your furniture not antique to suit the house?"

When we left for a three-month voyage as the only passengers on a freighter, people said, "What a reckless thing to do at your age. What if something happen to you in the middle of the ocean, away from everything? Pirates always target cargo ships, don't you know?"

When we got rid of most material encumbrances, including the house, people said, "You are going to rent? That's throwing money down the drain every month. What are you going to do when you are old and have nothing to show for?"

When we returned to the States after seven wonderful years abroad, people said, "You shouldn't have left in the first place, we knew you would realize your mistake. Well, you've already missed many changes in your family; you must have felt some regrets."

When we moved to Florida, people said, "It's not enough to deal with earthquakes in California most of your life, now you decide to live in hurricane area?" Then they came to visit, and after oohing and ahhing, said, "It's beautiful, but there's nothing to do here, aren't you bored at all?"

This time next year, we will be living in Hawaii for another chapter of our life. I know what people will say.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 06-20-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM

159 posts, read 368,019 times
My folks are in Holland, where rain is the standard. Needless to say when I called them and said "It's official, we're moving to Hawaii!". First response was "You don't have the guts to sell everything and move". Then "Oh my, you're serious. Great sunny place and we've seen all off LA, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Tahoe over the years. A new SUNNY place to explore."

ME...

Next morning, "We'll be there in Nov for a month!". THANK GOD, they rented a vacation condo in the same complex. Also TG to the fact we only could afford a 1 bedroom. LOL

Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,448,817 times
i get this alot comeing from a few friends ..when is your place going to be done so i can come and vist or can we use your place since your not there ..

i told two friends this statement and they know i dead on when i say it ..no one is going to sleep in my bed before me so remember i first and everybody else is second when it comes to sleeping in my bed there in my house in Hawaii ..

plus i do not think it island envy i think it more along line in my case is they are watching to get away and trying to do it as cheap as they can because of them not makeing alot of money now that they are retired

Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 PM

209 posts, read 722,816 times
Some people just can't stand to see other people being happy, with whatever it is they're doing that makes them happy . I've come to a conclusion that it's a secret envy of those people. They wish they could up and move to a tropical paradise, but are too afraid to leave their comfort zone. Therefore; it makes them feel better to question the reason of the other person's move. It's crazy, but it seems to be the way it is .

Aloha!
Kelly

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM

521 posts, read 1,153,535 times
Default don't know what to say about that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Yes, I have to laugh, and tell them " well we bought your run of the mill $300,000 starter home" in an older neighborhood......and I still don't make in a year what I made in Las Vegas. but I love it and don't miss places with 4 seasons at all since I loathe cold weather and short days with a passion. I feel most fortunate and blessed to be able to live here, not cocky or condescending at all which I hope is conveyed easily to our friends and family "back home".
we always felt fortunate to have moved to Hawaii too, but very few of our family ever came to visit. though some of them would go to other countries.. on work...
well, I cannot say.. envy is a strange but powerful emotion.

I remember one summer, going to live in Bermuda, and my best friend seemed very jealous of me, but didn't say much about it.
Hawaii is a great place to live.. send me a coconut, would ya? lol

Last edited by DanaMarley; 06-23-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM

217 posts, read 641,179 times
i get a lot of visitors at my beach here. the only negative is that people's feelings get hurt when i don't take MY vacation days while they are here. i try to explain - i use MY vacation days to go to the beach - In HAWAII! - if I took my vacation days while I had visitors, I'd never get to go anywhere... I don't mind having the visitors, I just don't want to have to take off work every time someone says "oh, she's got a beach house, let's go to HER house!"

Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM

521 posts, read 1,153,535 times
Default that's an interesting read Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
It's not just island envy, it's also (insert any desirable location or action) envy. When you managed to achieve the things most people couldn't or wouldn't have the courage to do, you could count on being the recipient of a few negative remarks.

When my wife left to live in Europe, (I stayed behind for another 3.5 years to finish my 30-year labor in the workforce), people said: "How can you leave your children behind? Why can't you wait for your husband to go with you? Do you only care about yourself?" Then they came to visit her, and after oohing and ahhing, said, "Why did you buy an 800-year-old house, it's pretty now that you fixed it up, but it can't be very comfortable, can it? And why are your furniture not antique to suit the house?"

When we left for a three-month voyage as the only passengers on a freighter, people said, "What a reckless thing to do at your age. What if something happen to you in the middle of the ocean, away from everything? Pirates always target cargo ships, don't you know?"

When we got rid of most material encumbrances, including the house, people said, "You are going to rent? That's throwing money down the drain every month. What are you going to do when you are old and have nothing to show for?"

When we returned to the States after seven wonderful years abroad, people said, "You shouldn't have left in the first place, we knew you would realize your mistake. Well, you've already missed many changes in your family; you must have felt some regrets."

When we moved to Florida, people said, "It's not enough to deal with earthquakes in California most of your life, now you decide to live in hurricane area?" Then they came to visit, and after oohing and ahhing, said, "It's beautiful, but there's nothing to do here, aren't you bored at all?"

This time next year, we will be living in Hawaii for another chapter of our life. I know what people will say.
Sounds to me, like you've lived in interesting exciting life.
You are making me think things over people!
I used to love to travel.. Now it's all about possessions, and I don't life is as amusing or enjoyable as it used to be.

I remember having a list of all the things I needed/wanted to buy, when I lived in Hawaii... but I'll tell you this.. though I had less material possessions, I always did enjoy my life in Hawaii..
I think life should be an adventure, not just stability. There's no guarantees in life anyway.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,596,740 times
Aloha,

It's all about size and the Island i live on is the bigger one

Old 06-24-2011, 03:28 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,420,588 times
Wink For us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
After six months in the Islands, I have noticed that some family and close friends seem overly envious and jealous of the move we made to HI. Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do about it?

I have kept the move on the "down low" and realize we are lucky to live here; I haven't made a big deal about it and have consciously made the effort not to "rub it in" when the weather on the mainland is bad.

I imagine the newness of the move is partially to blame and it'll subside eventually.

Thoughts, experiences, stories? Mahalo.
It was a private decision for us. When I eventially gave my two week notice to my employer she told me how envious she was that we could just 'pick up and go'...well...she was a bit shocked to find out that we had been preparing for nearly two years and that half the family had been shipped to the Big Island nearly two months before I even gave notice...lolol... I was really surprised that my sudden change to Aloha Shirts and khaki's for nearly two years didn't give the whole thing away... by the way... you certainly do find out how popular you are w/folks who you didn't even think knew you were alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: