Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times

Advertisements

After six months in the Islands, I have noticed that some family and close friends seem overly envious and jealous of the move we made to HI. Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do about it?

I have kept the move on the "down low" and realize we are lucky to live here; I haven't made a big deal about it and have consciously made the effort not to "rub it in" when the weather on the mainland is bad.

I imagine the newness of the move is partially to blame and it'll subside eventually.

Thoughts, experiences, stories? Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
The way I'd handle it would be to point out that Hawaii has its disadvantages, and other places have their advantages: "Yeah, the weather is great, but I know I'm gonna miss having four seasons," or "One thing you can do that we can't is get in a car and drive 300 miles in one direction," or "You just can't find a good New-York style pastrami sandwich here," or "You wouldn't believe how much electricity costs here." If they persist in their jealousy over time, say, "If you're really that jealous, then make a plan to move here, and find a way. We did, and there's no reason you can't, if you want to badly enough and are willing to make whatever sacrifices you need to make."

Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,713 times
I think when one moves here, everyone you left behind is somewhat jealous and envious of your move. It is a big move and Hawaii is a place that alot of people only dream about visiting, let alone moving. Some people save for years to just take a 2 week vacation and spend a small fortune to do that when you can take a 2 week vacation on a shoestring budget if you do your research and planning. Most of the people who say they would love to live here probably will never make the move or even vacation here because of the fear of being so far away from everyone they know and love. It is a big leap to pack up and move here, one I have never regretted. But as in anyplace like Honuman says there are advantages as well as disadvantages. I have noticed that we tend to have alot of visitors from the mainland, people who otherwise would probably never travel to Hawaii. Must be because they have a free place to stay.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
With a big resounding YES!!!! lol

I have a bunch of friends that have givin us some sort of attitude and a few that just wont talk to us anymore to the point that one of my closest friends that thought he would beat me to living in Hawaii has admitted that he has be so jealous of us that he doesn't talk to us sometimes. We talk it through and all is good but we have to watch what we say when we talk and visit the friends from the mainland

Aloha Koa

Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 PM

140 posts, read 407,352 times
the one way to defuse the issue is to invite them to visit, if you have the space. i noticed when the husband and i go to north dakota, ppl always mention the weather and how beautiful it is here. right off the bat the husband will invite them out. hosting them and providing them with a car cuts the cost of a vacation greatly. it makes their dreams of coming here a lot more affordable.

his parents actually like to come during the winter season. during christmas he has a lot of time off and can play host. other wise we arrange for them to use one of our cars and setup activities for them. it works out great for them.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM

229 posts, read 928,917 times
Oh, man, is that ever true! I had told my friends and neighbors that they must come visit, that it was their Christian duty to make sure I didn't get lonesome. Some of them come, some of them talk about it, but they know they are welcome. What I didn't see coming was the response from my extended family. OK, one family in particular, who make comments about "living large" and "you must be richer than we thought". Rich, indeed, considering that they all have higher household incomes than we ever did. We just made different choices.

When they start throwing those comments my way, esp. on a public forum like facebook, I make sure to tell them that:
1. The house still needs work, so bring a paintbrush and your tool kit.
2. There are still homes available here in the price range at which we bought ours, we'd love to have you as neighbors.
3. Bring your sleeping bags and air mattresses. Our house is half the size of yours.
4. Sometimes, out of spite, I throw in a photo of a centipede, or the price board at the Chevron station.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Yes, I have to laugh, and tell them " well we bought your run of the mill $300,000 starter home" in an older neighborhood......and I still don't make in a year what I made in Las Vegas. but I love it and don't miss places with 4 seasons at all since I loathe cold weather and short days with a passion. I feel most fortunate and blessed to be able to live here, not cocky or condescending at all which I hope is conveyed easily to our friends and family "back home".

Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
So true.

I just answer direct questions without embellishing. If they really want to know how great the weather is, I ask them if they really want to know...they usually answer no. lol

Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Had 2 relatives in Oklahoma text me today about the 104 degree heat wave. That's seriously dangerous weather in that part of the country. One wanted to trade, one wanted to know "how's the weather over there"!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Shootz, we've moved about twelve miles away from where we were and some of my neighbors near the old house are all miffy at me for "moving away". Of course, their weather is better than the new weather so sometimes they rub that in, but it makes them feel better.

Mainland folks, we always invite them over whenever the mainland weather is miserable where ever they are. I also send them a Hawaiian calendar so they can look at pretty pictures all year long. Somehow a pretty picture on their wall and the invite to go visit there seems to keep them happy. Still, not many of them visit since it's pretty expensive even just airfare here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: