Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 08:04 AM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times

Advertisements

I thought the average price to buy small house was close to million dollars? Why are some going for $200,000 to $400,000

Looking at this
https://www.zillow.com/hi/

Also I thought hotels and airbnb where way more expensive a night than say US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There is a big difference in prices depending on the island and the city, but even Honolulu median home price is still just $700k because there are so many condos. For a single family home there it's $1,090,000 still about a 3rd less than here in Sammamish WA.) On the Big Island it's only $530k median for single family homes, and in Pahoa, you can buy a a brand new cottage for under $100,000. Like everywhere else it's a matter of where people want to live, and in Hawaii it's near the beach and/or nightlife. Where Hawaii is expensive is in everything else, foods and other products not produced there that have to
be brought in by ships.

https://www.redfin.com/HI/Pahoa/12-1...home/188439348

Old 11-07-2023, 08:38 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I thought the average price to buy small house was close to million dollars? Why are some going for $200,000 to $400,000

Looking at this

The first condo, while on Oahu, on your list is leasehold - you do not fully own the property, plus you have to make a lease payment.

The 2nd, in Hilo (lack of jobs) is unpermitted, off grid, and it looks like a rendering (not sure what's up with that).

The 3rd in Kihei is under 600 sq ft AND the leasehold is to expire in 2036, so no bank will give you a loan (at least they didn't used to), and you probably won't know what the lease payment will be then.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2023, 08:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post

Looking at this

Those cheaper homes FS on the Big Island are in hazard zone 2, very close to the active rift zone of Kilauea volcano. One appears to be in Pahoa town. In that case, seems like a good deal to me because it's a somewhat walkable little community.

However, the price of gas, food and everything else is very high everywhere in Hawaii. Also, the property crime rate is high. There are a lot of low lifes around, looking to rip you off. And yet, people keep moving into the Puna district. I sure wish they would STOP, as the quality of life has really taken a hit with so many more people added in the past couple decades.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
OP, A couple more notes of interest regarding those listings in Puna. It can be quite wet at times in this part of Hawaii. Average annual rainfall is well over 100 inches just about everywhere.

Also, you might be disappointed to hear that it's quite rare to see anyone in sweatpants.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:58 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
There's a general saying when talking about real estate prices - a place that seems much cheaper (less expensive) than what you would expect for an area is usually cheaper for a certain reason. It could be the condition of the property for sale, the particular location, or the nearby surroundings (people, nature, landscape hazards, industry, traffic, noise, smell etc.). Same rule applies in Hawaii as anywhere else. You sometimes have to dig into the details before the downsides of a cheap place appear, but they are usually not too hard to figure out.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is a big difference in prices depending on the island and the city, but even Honolulu median home price is still just $700k because there are so many condos. For a single family home there it's $1,090,000 still about a 3rd less than here in Sammamish WA.) On the Big Island it's only $530k median for single family homes, and in Pahoa, you can buy a a brand new cottage for under $100,000. Like everywhere else it's a matter of where people want to live, and in Hawaii it's near the beach and/or nightlife. Where Hawaii is expensive is in everything else, foods and other products not produced there that have to
be brought in by ships.

https://www.redfin.com/HI/Pahoa/12-1...home/188439348
Yea I thought some thing was up with prices being that cheap? The average price of $500,000 seem more reasonable on the Island and $700,000 in Honolulu.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Those cheaper homes FS on the Big Island are in hazard zone 2, very close to the active rift zone of Kilauea volcano. One appears to be in Pahoa town. In that case, seems like a good deal to me because it's a somewhat walkable little community.

However, the price of gas, food and everything else is very high everywhere in Hawaii. Also, the property crime rate is high. There are a lot of low lifes around, looking to rip you off. And yet, people keep moving into the Puna district. I sure wish they would STOP, as the quality of life has really taken a hit with so many more people added in the past couple decades.
Hotels are even worse at $300 a night and probably more expensive in Honolulu.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:39 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

I suspect the local were saying the same when you initially moved there.
Apologies if you were born and raised in Puna. But, I often see transplants immediately wishing people would stop moving in.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:53 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
I suspect the local were saying the same when you initially moved there.
Apologies if you were born and raised in Puna. But, I often see transplants immediately wishing people would stop moving in.
North Shore comes to mind.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii