Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

Well, if you are planning on moving to Tahiti after Hawaii AND you only live once AND you are youthful and able to live on nothing, then why bother with Hawaii at all?

Actually, over the years, I've known a lot of folks who were "going to move to Tahiti someday". None of them ever left, so I dunno if Tahiti is attainable.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
Yeah, that's it. I didn't realize someone would figure out the Grand Master Plan that all current residents of Hawaii have secretly agreed to.

The so called negativity isn't just on this forum. Go to the California subforums. Check out the San Francisco forum. San Fran is equally expensive to Hawaii. You don't see a plethora of posts saying "yes, please come down here. It's easy to find a job and make a living."

I remeber hearing about people in oregon hating the californian's moving there way back in the 60's. no one likes to see there area fill up but people will always search out greener pastures even if they turn out not to be.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM

229 posts, read 929,290 times
Paradise Calling: I'd like to suggest that the negativity that you see is the result of answering the same type of question every day. A LOT of people come to the forum with stars in their eyes, wanting to come to the islands and live the good life, but not having all the facts. The members of the forum, over time, have taken on a predictable rhythm when answering these inquiries. Yes, they sound negative. But they are also based in fact.

Do what you want to do. Be as informed and prepared as you can be. Have an exit strategy, just in case things don't work out. (good advice no matter where you are)

Best of luck to you! Aloha.

p.s. Where are you in Mich.? I'm a Wolverine, class of '87.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM

12 posts, read 43,386 times
Paradise Calling said:
"I'm a firm believer that where there is a will there is a way. People do not become successful at anything by accident. It's 99% attitude. If you're a driven person you will find work anywhere. If you are stuck in a negative mindset you will only see negativity. Reality is subjective. Failure to adapt and thrive is a personal issue, not an attribute unique to a particular location."

Yes, PC. I think we can all concur with that. However, one also has a choice as to where, with whom, and under what conditions he or she will exert that attitudinal effort. This can make the difference between wisdom and folly!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:09 PM

30 posts, read 166,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
Where are you in Mich.? I'm a Wolverine, class of '87.
I work in Dearborn, but I make it out to Ann Arbor as much as possible myself.

Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad to see someone else who escaped this state.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually, the dirty little secret is that even in a bad economy you're probably very likely to get hired by a manager who has half a brain and who is sick of puttin up with the idiosyncracies of the local labor force (late or don't show up, smoke pot on the job, etc). I was in that position on Maui and I'd have loved to have staffed up with newcomers with a better work ethic than the locals. Unfortunately at the time there weren't many mainlanders who wanted to relocate there.
The problem being is that locals run most of the business so you're back to square one...

Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
There are plenty of mainland owned businesses there. Rental car companies, hotels, restaurants, etc. The locals generally own the mom and pops you wouldn't be working for anyway.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:00 PM

30 posts, read 166,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I remeber hearing about people in oregon hating the californian's moving there way back in the 60's. no one likes to see there area fill up but people will always search out greener pastures even if they turn out not to be.
The "don't come here, there's no jobs and we don't want you" attitude is very reminiscent of the prevailing sentiment towards immigration into the U.S. from Mexico. People have a feeling of scarcity and ownership of the land. Anything another person gains is somehow their loss.

Yes, resources are finite. This is the nature of the economy. More people does mean more competition for the same jobs and resources. It's how the world works though. People will always seek out what they perceive as a better life. It's unrealistic to think you can isolate your little patch of land from the rest of the world. Like it or not, globalization is inevitable.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There are plenty of mainland owned businesses there. Rental car companies, hotels, restaurants, etc. The locals generally own the mom and pops you wouldn't be working for anyway.
Do you live here?

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-20-2009 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: please be nice.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:24 PM

206 posts, read 466,360 times
When there are no jobs, it doesn't matter what "attitude" you have, and the many people who have lost their jobs here are not to blame for having the wrong spiritual attitude. The crisis in the greater economy is real, and thankfully, many employers would prefer to hire local people who are here permanently, not someone new who is only here shortly on their way to Tahiti. It is not, further, inevitable that places will refuse the idea of focusing on providing full employment to their own residents and utilizing zoning to prevent an unsustainable level of human habitation. The form that globalization can take is up for the people to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii