Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,216,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Fine. But if you're already eating bran muffins and apples and still get cancer how are more bran muffins and apples going to help? Diseases, cancer especially, can just reach out and b-slapping you. If you don't want to do anything to try and save yourself once you realize that food didn't protect you that's your call. Most people want to live.
It takes considerably more than bran muffins and apples, unfortunately. You have to start by detoxing the body *especially* the liver. Then once that has been accomplished you have to feed the body fresh, clean, living food to support the immune system as well as assist further with the detox. There are also natural products which can assist with the process as well as fighting the cancer cells on a cellular level by maintaining a favorable ph level. There is a wealth of information out there if a person is interested in finding out the details. I strongly suggest that anyone with cancer watch two videos. One is called "The Beautiful Truth" and the other is "My Crazy, Sexy Cancer". You can search for them on youtube, if you are interested.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,559,638 times
Read the story and the follow-ups to the story people. This woman could have bought health insurance through the PCIP - but didn't know about it. The Daily Kos (not exactly a conservative "mouthpiece") blames everyone for this:

Daily Kos: Ignorance Meant Death for Leslie Elder. Don't Let The Same Thing Happen to Someone You Know.

Heck - even the news people who dealt with this woman apparently didn't know about the PCIP (maybe they'd rather have a "story" about someone dying without health insurance than telling the person how to get health insurance). Robyn

Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,534,310 times
I read this article when it first came out and this is what I do not understand.

Quote:
"I was under the impression that pre-existing (PCIP) didn't start until 2014," said Jim Elder in a recent interview with CNN.
"Under the impression?" I went to the PCIP website. Florida is listed as one of the states that recognizes it. There is an online questionnaire that explains how to fill it out and what to do. It does not say it begins in 2014. If that were the case, then why would it be giving this information for people to use it now? Have I missed something in the story?

This is indeed a tragedy if this poor lady's family had only realized help could have been just a click away instead of making an assumption it was not available. Of course there is never a guarantee that any additional treatment will save a life but the options would have been there at least for them to try.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,646,483 times
I think a lot of people didn't or don't know PCIP is already available.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,203,958 times
She had coverage..
"At a certain point, feeling like her pre-existing conditions were to blame for her soaring and unaffordable insurance rates, Elder gave up on coverage."

of course rates go up.. so does your home owners insurance and car insurance if you have to many claims..

We don't know the entire story though.. only the media spin.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,956,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It takes considerably more than bran muffins and apples, unfortunately. You have to start by detoxing the body *especially* the liver. Then once that has been accomplished you have to feed the body fresh, clean, living food to support the immune system as well as assist further with the detox. There are also natural products which can assist with the process as well as fighting the cancer cells on a cellular level by maintaining a favorable ph level. There is a wealth of information out there if a person is interested in finding out the details. I strongly suggest that anyone with cancer watch two videos. One is called "The Beautiful Truth" and the other is "My Crazy, Sexy Cancer". You can search for them on youtube, if you are interested.

20yrsinBranson
Steve Jobs, a case in which money was no object, rejected traditional medical treatment in favor of the phony baloney you are advocating and it didn't work out very well for him. (Yes, I am aware that a single case proves nothing).

However, medical science requires evidence before making claims. Medical researchers have to conduct double-blind (impartial) studies with meticulous record keeping to compare the results of two different types of treatment, or to compare a treatment versus a placebo. In addition, sufficient numbers of patients have to be enrolled in the protocols for the results to be considered valid. How does that compare with someone posting a video on Youtube? What are the credentials of the makers of the videos? Do you also reject the notion that the Earth revolves around the sun rather than vice-versa?
(Yes, I am aware that they actually revolve around a common center of mass, but the sun's mass is so much greater than the Earth's that essentially the Earth revolves around the sun. Oh, wait. Maybe that's just more "scientific" mumbo-jumbo that you don't believe in.)

Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,534,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
She had coverage..
"At a certain point, feeling like her pre-existing conditions were to blame for her soaring and unaffordable insurance rates, Elder gave up on coverage."

of course rates go up.. so does your home owners insurance and car insurance if you have to many claims..

We don't know the entire story though.. only the media spin.
I think you hit the nail on the head. From the article, it would appear that her family knew about PCIP but her husband was quoted as saying he didn't "under the impression" coverage didn't begin until 2014. "Under the impression"? In a life and death situation you don't play hunches, you find out for sure. That's what I do not understand.

I would make sense it they didn't know about PCIP at all but to second guess about coverage, well, I also do not think we are being told the entire story.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM

18,256 posts, read 17,007,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But nothing was going to get rid of my cancer except for chemo. The same could be said for this woman.
Most alternative treatment advocates say that the body can heal itself of anything, given the proper natural ingredients. I've heard from a number of sources that cancer absolutely cannot survive in an alkaline environment so the trick is to make your body alkaline and the cancer will die. Like most other alternative treatments it has its controversies. Dr.'s would call it quakerie. Holistics would call it gospel. What the truth? Does it work or doesn't it, based on case outcomes?

On the other hand, I question the 75% survival rate for chemo. Most people who undergo chemo on average buy maybe a year of survival. That's not an acceptable trade-off for the suffering---to me, anyway.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times
Those survival rates are jiggered. One can survive breast cancer and die eight years later of heart failure caused by radiation treatment used to cure breast cancer. This is a common occurrence.

I had a relative who survived Hodgkins Lymphoma, just radiation, no chemo, who died at 70 - 35 years later - because she had the lungs of a 85 y/o (calcified), bowels virtually nonfunctioning, all due to radiation for the Hodgkins. So, yes, the cure will very likely cause your death at some later time. But, the cause of death will not be tied back to the cure.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM

15,905 posts, read 21,531,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Most alternative treatment advocates say that the body can heal itself of anything, given the proper natural ingredients. I've heard from a number of sources that cancer absolutely cannot survive in an alkaline environment so the trick is to make your body alkaline and the cancer will die. Like most other alternative treatments it has its controversies. Dr.'s would call it quakerie. Holistics would call it gospel. What the truth? Does it work or doesn't it, based on case outcomes?

On the other hand, I question the 75% survival rate for chemo. Most people who undergo chemo on average buy maybe a year of survival. That's not an acceptable trade-off for the suffering---to me, anyway.
It very much depends on your type of cancer. For Hodgkin's lymphoma, 75% survival rate is in fact VERY LOW. The overall survival rate is something like 90%. It's people like me with extremely advanced disease that bring that rate down. Most people have more of a 95% survival rate.

I "bought myself" hopefully around 60 years. I wouldn't have lived to see my 25th birthday otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Those survival rates are jiggered. One can survive breast cancer and die eight years later of heart failure caused by radiation treatment used to cure breast cancer. This is a common occurrence.

I had a relative who survived Hodgkins Lymphoma, just radiation, no chemo, who died at 70 - 35 years later - because she had the lungs of a 85 y/o (calcified), bowels virtually nonfunctioning, all due to radiation for the Hodgkins. So, yes, the cure will very likely cause your death at some later time. But, the cause of death will not be tied back to the cure.
You don't think 35 years is good? I would *love* to see 70 - few people realize that age is a gift. I'm 24 and have the lungs of a 60 year old - but I'm alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance