Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,648,987 times

Advertisements

Leslie Elder was always a fighter. But in a message to a friend in the waning days of her life, she seemed exhausted.

The note, written at a time of spiritual darkness, suggested defeat after a decades-long struggle for medical coverage.

Aware of 'no options,' woman dies fighting for medical coverage - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,613,618 times
Thanks for bringing this up John.

I'm about ready to start asking people with anti obamacare bumper stickers for their phone numbers so I can call upon them to shoot me if I get seriously ill before i turn 65.

And tell them don't EVER call yourself pro-life d%#*%^t.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,167,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Leslie Elder was always a fighter. But in a message to a friend in the waning days of her life, she seemed exhausted.

The note, written at a time of spiritual darkness, suggested defeat after a decades-long struggle for medical coverage.

Aware of 'no options,' woman dies fighting for medical coverage - CNN.com
According to the article....

"That terrifying litany of cancer diagnoses began in 1988 with a bulging tumor found in her right breast. Thirteen years later, the same diagnosis, this time in her left breast.
And in 2005, it was kidney cancer. The doctor's grim pronouncement, according to Elder: " 'Your right kidney ... it's breaking apart. You have a tumor ... and you also have a tumor in your left kidney.'"

Medicine failed her for 15 years, subjecting her to painful operations and treatment. Ultimately, she was classified as terminal in spite of all the treatment that she received. Instead, according to the article, she spend all the money she had, and faced losing her house and her savings to pay for an ineffective treatment. Now, she is FIGHTING to receive even more of that treatment, even though in the past is has not cured, nor prevented the cancer from returning and ultimately causing her death.

Are people crazy or what?

The "official" definition of being insane is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result. It never ceases to amaze me, the inability of people to think outside of the box.

Obamacare isn't going to fix the problem. If anything, it is going to make it exponentially worse.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,482,829 times
So your answer is that people should just give up, die and stop bothering the rest of us?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

"That terrifying litany of cancer diagnoses began in 1988 with a bulging tumor found in her right breast. Thirteen years later, the same diagnosis, this time in her left breast.
And in 2005, it was kidney cancer. The doctor's grim pronouncement, according to Elder: " 'Your right kidney ... it's breaking apart. You have a tumor ... and you also have a tumor in your left kidney.'"

Medicine failed her for 15 years, subjecting her to painful operations and treatment. Ultimately, she was classified as terminal in spite of all the treatment that she received. Instead, according to the article, she spend all the money she had, and faced losing her house and her savings to pay for an ineffective treatment. Now, she is FIGHTING to receive even more of that treatment, even though in the past is has not cured, nor prevented the cancer from returning and ultimately causing her death.

The "official" definition of being insane is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result. It never ceases to amaze me, the inability of people to think outside of the box.

Obamacare isn't going to fix the problem. If anything, it is going to make it exponentially worse.

20yrsinBranson
It never fails me when people who have never had cancer get up on their high horse about how ghastly chemo is, and why ever would someone subject themselves to it?

She had 3 different types of cancer - breast cancer 2x, kidney cancer, and Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hodgkin's is quite curable, especially at the early stages. I had the most disease my very seasoned oncologist has ever seen, and I still have a 75-80% chance of surviving - and that is very low considering *most* people with Hodgkin's have above a 90-95% chance.

And no amount of healthy eating, exercises, coffee enemas, etc will prevent or treat Hodgkin's. It comes out of the clear blue sky (some connection to mono/Epstein Barr virus, though I tested negative) and requires chemo. Medicine didn't fail her. Medicine gave her 15+ years. It should have given her even more time, but she was not allowed that option.

There are several tragedies in this story. 1. No one should face a life-threatening illness with money in mind. I lived it, and it's awful on physical recovery and emotional stability. 2. No one should not know what their options are. I had my fair share of ****-poor social workers - not entirely their fault, they are too often over worked and under paid to fully explore options with all of their patients. And when you are dealing with a life threatening illness, you don't have the energy to research this stuff on your own. Why did so many people fail her regarding what her insurance options were?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It never fails me when people who have never had cancer get up on their high horse about how ghastly chemo is, and why ever would someone subject themselves to it?

She had 3 different types of cancer - breast cancer 2x, kidney cancer, and Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hodgkin's is quite curable, especially at the early stages. I had the most disease my very seasoned oncologist has ever seen, and I still have a 75-80% chance of surviving - and that is very low considering *most* people with Hodgkin's have above a 90-95% chance.

And no amount of healthy eating, exercises, coffee enemas, etc will prevent or treat Hodgkin's. It comes out of the clear blue sky (some connection to mono/Epstein Barr virus, though I tested negative) and requires chemo. Medicine didn't fail her. Medicine gave her 15+ years. It should have given her even more time, but she was not allowed that option.

There are several tragedies in this story. 1. No one should face a life-threatening illness with money in mind. I lived it, and it's awful on physical recovery and emotional stability. 2. No one should not know what their options are. I had my fair share of ****-poor social workers - not entirely their fault, they are too often over worked and under paid to fully explore options with all of their patients. And when you are dealing with a life threatening illness, you don't have the energy to research this stuff on your own. Why did so many people fail her regarding what her insurance options were?
It never fails me(sic) when someone who has never tried nutritional an alternative therapies criticizes it and says that it doesn't work.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times
Quote:
It never fails me(sic) when someone who has never tried nutritional an alternative therapies criticizes it and says that it doesn't work.

20yrsinBranson

If you had a 75% chance of surviving from chemo versus a 0% chance of surviving from alternative therapies alone, which would you pick?

Most modern cancer centers now incorporate complementary therapies such as nutrition, supplements (my onc was all about the turmeric), yoga, and even acupuncture and yoga with treatment, if the patient wants it. But nothing was going to get rid of my cancer except for chemo. The same could be said for this woman.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you had a 75% chance of surviving from chemo versus a 0% chance of surviving from alternative therapies alone, which would you pick?

Most modern cancer centers now incorporate complementary therapies such as nutrition, supplements (my onc was all about the turmeric), yoga, and even acupuncture and yoga with treatment, if the patient wants it. But nothing was going to get rid of my cancer except for chemo. The same could be said for this woman.
First of all, whomever is making these wild "pronouncements" about survival is simply guessing because nobody knows for certain one way or the other how long a person is going to life with or without any particular treatment. So that statement is completely moot.

Secondly, I believe that your statement that chemo gets rid of cancer is pretty much wishful thinking, and if that is what you want to believe, I'm not going to burst your little bubble. But if it were MY life that was on the line, it would be completely out of the question, not even a consideration. Unfortunately, most people with the disease are so afraid that they will jump at any perceived "treatment". I hope you are strong enough to make it through the "treatment". So very few people are.

The lady in the OP proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that even after 15 years of treatment she is not any better than she was the very first day. How that elicits any confidence in the system is beyond me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-05-2012, 01:48 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,094,029 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
then who will--romney???

Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Quote:
First of all, whomever is making these wild "pronouncements" about survival is simply guessing because nobody knows for certain one way or the other how long a person is going to life with or without any particular treatment. So that statement is completely moot.

Secondly, I believe that your statement that chemo gets rid of cancer is pretty much wishful thinking, and if that is what you want to believe, I'm not going to burst your little bubble. But if it were MY life that was on the line, it would be completely out of the question, not even a consideration. Unfortunately, most people with the disease are so afraid that they will jump at any perceived "treatment". I hope you are strong enough to make it through the "treatment". So very few people are.

The lady in the OP proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that even after 15 years of treatment she is not any better than she was the very first day. How that elicits any confidence in the system is beyond me.

20yrsinBranson
Fine. But if you're already eating bran muffins and apples and still get cancer how are more bran muffins and apples going to help? Diseases, cancer especially, can just reach out and b-slapping you. WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL. Scary, I know. If you don't want to do anything with traditional medicine that's your call. Most people want to live and I've known plenty of chemo patients, including my dad, who not only handled "treatment" (quotes yours) well but were cured. It was lymphoma, and traditional treatment seems to have that down pretty well.

I'm all for doing whatever you have to do or want to do and don't look down on non-traditional medicine, but there are people who always seem to think it's either/or. I don't understand that.

Last edited by Ceece; 09-05-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance