Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times

Advertisements

I usually sleep on my right side, or on my belly. For a couple times now, when I wake up- whether in the middle of the night or in the morning but while it's still darker outside/inside, I have vision trouble in my left eye. It's not blind- when I cover my right eye, I can see out of my left, but the sight is "dark, dim"- I can't see things well at all. I don't know if I would say blurry, my first thoughts are it's like someone pulled a dark transparent sheet over that one side of the eye- I can make out shapes, but everything's darker and I can't see well at all. I wouldn't get up and walk around if it was in both eyes- it's that close to seeing really nothing- no light really gets through. My right eye is fine. After getting up and turning the lights on, it goes back to normal.

Coincidentally, I just went to my eye doctor for my yearly eye check up, last week, so I had the whole normal eye testing done. I totally forgot to mention this issue to my eye doctor! But, they didn't see anything wrong- my normal everyday vision did get a little worse in my left eye- I do wear glasses 24/7 for long distance...but nothing out of the normal popped up for them.

No, I don't have any headaches or anything like that. I am not overweight.

Has anyone experienced the same thing, or has any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 04:37 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Vision problems can be an early sign of MS. Go to an opthalmologist. Tell them when you make the appt. why you are coming.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I don't know the reason, but, your symptom is major. It's your eyesight! Your vision! Not to be treated casually. Go immediately, if not sooner, to see about it.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I googled eyesight darker in one eye

Also Vision darker in one eye.....was amazed how many links there.
Good luck.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Vision problems can be an early sign of MS. Go to an opthalmologist. Tell them when you make the appt. why you are coming.
^^Agree. If you have any unusual vision symptoms, speak with your ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.).
My wife has MS and has her eyes checked regularly by an opthamologist. It's the optic nerve that's troublesome.
There are so many situations from lazy eye, torn retina, cataracts, floaters, etal that only the eye doctor can determine what is happening.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 209,455 times
I have a very similar experience!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 209,057 times
Default Same thing

I had the same thing happen. I researched on some other forums and a lot of people have asked about this. One thing I noticed to be in common on a few and mine was exposure to light from a tv or computer just prior to the incident. I didn't realize this till some else said they had been watching tv before it happened. For me I had been using my phone for a bit and it was dark and shortly after i put my phone away I started having the same issue and only in the dark my left eye felt like it had the dark transparent curtain pulled over. I'm betting its something to so with that sort of light being viewed. Maybe?? Just a guess...

Old 12-24-2013, 06:51 PM

532 posts, read 958,626 times
Sound's like what I had. I sleep on my stomach with my hand on my face. I had it happen twice, you wake up and you're not blind in that eye, but it is very hard to see, I would blink once, twice and everything was fine. Looked in the mirror and my eye looked just like the other eye.

Didn't think much about it the first time, but the 2nd time (about a month) later really scared me. Wondered if I was losing my sight, or a tumor, or as someone said MS.

I had just had my regular eye exam a few months prior and everything was fine.

Called my eye Dr and I was able to get in within a few days.

Told my Dr., he put me through the regular eye exam (which even though I had just had), gave me some peace of mind.

He said my eyes were fine, then said he has the same thing happen to him!!!!!

He said I bet you sleep on your side or stomach but always with that side of your face on the pillow (yep), he said it's from putting too much pressure on the eye (similar to cataracts), he said the only thing he doesn't know is if it can become cataracts (which they can treat).

He was able to change the position he sleeps in (I can't), he did suggest to wear an eye patch (similar to what you wear after lasik surgery), they come in different thicknesses.

He gave me one to try and I have to confess it's been several months and I haven't tried the patch yet, it's happened once or twice since, but after talking to my eye Dr and 2 eye exams in under 6 months, I choose to go with what he said and try not to let it bother me.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 201,150 times
Any update to this? I have the exact same symptoms. I go to sleep, wake up and my right eye is dimmer than my left. Also, I have these 2 glow in the dark stickers in my room about 2 feet apart on a wall, if I try to look at one with just my right eye I can't see it but I see the other and then if I try to focus on the other I can only see the previous one out of the corner of my eye.
It's the same as you described too. After I turn on the light everything goes back to normal. I even tried just flipping on the light for a few seconds but that's all it needs to return to normal.
It does however not 'feel' normal. It doesn't hurt but I can just tell it's not the same as the other.
I wear contacts and what worries me is that I sometimes wear them longer than recommended (not any more after this)

Old 09-24-2014, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 192,537 times
I have this happen. My last eye appointment I had a scan done because every member on my fathers side ended up with a torn retina. What do you know, the results came out that I have thinning retinal tissue in that eye. My dad has the same thing happen to him in the eye he had all the surgeries in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness