Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 07:19 PM

761 posts, read 318,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, most marijuana users aren't addicted. There's no physical addiction, no withdrawal. Even people who smoke daily can take a few days off and they aren't going to suffer. It's not like heroin or alcohol in that regard, which can cause serious physical withdrawal symptoms.

There is a potential for psychological addiction if a person is relying on smoking to deal with some emotional issue.
We are a society that seems as depressed and lonely as ever...and also one that likely consumes more marijuana than ever. We also communicate more than ever. It’s probably normal to hear more complaints about things going wrong with the mixture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 07:25 PM

761 posts, read 318,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That's certainly your perogative, and I won't have drug addicts or abusers in my life.

But would you not have anything to do with someone who owns and runs a manufacturing business with customers around the world, including restaurants you have eaten at and maybe eat at regularly? How about full-time university employees with graduate degrees, or the guy I grew up with who graduated law school? You probably already have people like that in your personal life, like I do (in the first two cases;I'd rather be alone than with a lawyer lol), and they just keep their mouth shut about it around you whereas they know I don't give a care as long as they keep their s*** together. I think you've probably been exposed to the criminal side so much you don't realize that very normal law abiding people use it too.

But I don't want to go too far in my defense either, I've seen it hurt a lot of people who abused it, including myself and I think a lot of hype around it today goes too far.

Ah, the mental clarity strain. That's a strain I haven't tried.
Perhaps there’s a difference between the nobody knows smokers and the everybody knows smoker? The nobody knows smokers probably smoke less and hide it the best...never interacting with law enforcement.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:30 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,746,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And the well adjusted, motivated, emotionally balanced, financially secure, physically fit, heavy drinker seems to be a very rare thing.

I'd go even further, and say that I've rarely known a well adjusted, motivated, emotionally balanced, financially secure, physically fit, heavy tobacco user.

Do you suppose, just maybe, possibly, it's within the realm of possibility, that heavy users of any mood-altering substance are self-medicating for mental/emotional problems that would exist regardless?

And conversely, that many people can and do use those same mood-altering substances to put themselves in a pleasant state on occasion, and then go about their well adjusted, motivated, emotionally balanced, financially secure, physically fit regular lives.
Plus 1.

Overuse of anything is probably indicative of problems. For some reason, tobacco flies under the radar when it comes to this. I have never met an emotionally or physically healthy chain smoker. Having worked as a nurse in a psychiatric hospital, chain-smoking is an epidemic.

There is nothing wrong essentially with mood-altering substances. People have been altering their moods since ancient times.

I have also met some people who abstain from anything - and brag about it - who have serious issues.

And no, I am not speaking about reformed drug users or drinkers. Hyper Religious Christians come to mind.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:31 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,105,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Ah, the mental clarity strain. That's a strain I haven't tried.
Me either, but that's what the catalog says. I would post a link but its not legal everywhere yet, so...Im not gonna do it until it is.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:40 PM

6,230 posts, read 4,693,997 times
To be honest, it seems like the "in" and currently socially appropriate thing right now to say it's okay, even a good thing, just like cigarettes were so prevalent in the 1950's through 1970's-80's, and craft beers and wineries are now, even though there are serious consequences involved with all of these things.

Last edited by Jowel; 02-13-2021 at 08:06 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 08:18 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,993,161 times
"I hadn't heard that theory about wild cross-pollination keeping THC low back in the day when that's all you could get was weed grown outdoors. It sounds possible, but then there be a corresponding increase in hemp THC too. I haven't heard anything about that happening, but not saying it hasn't."

https://apnews.com/article/41f16905e...0b4ab77115d143

"Department: Grower shredded hemp crop because THC too high"

Do any similar searches and you'll discover it happens all the time. They could probably breed a THC-free form of hemp but "nature always finds a way".

Last edited by terracore; 02-13-2021 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 09:51 PM

30,443 posts, read 12,035,746 times
People should be able to do whatever they want. Not everything is healthy. Twinkies come to mind. I know lots of friends who really swear by marijuana but its not for me.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:16 PM

5,784 posts, read 4,397,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"I hadn't heard that theory about wild cross-pollination keeping THC low back in the day when that's all you could get was weed grown outdoors. It sounds possible, but then there be a corresponding increase in hemp THC too. I haven't heard anything about that happening, but not saying it hasn't."

https://apnews.com/article/41f16905e...0b4ab77115d143

"Department: Grower shredded hemp crop because THC too high"

Do any similar searches and you'll discover it happens all the time. They could probably breed a THC-free form of hemp but "nature always finds a way".

Oh I don't doubt that cross-pollination happens and that it can increase/decrease THC, that's a given. I simply have never read that that's why pot was so mellow decades ago. I'm not sure hemp was even grown in the same places that grew our pot before it went indoors. Why would they grow hemp when pot was so much more lucrative and it decreased its potency? Serious question, I don't know the answer.

My alternate theory has always been (which also needs evidence) is that pot growing was less scientific and cannabis botany less understood, and storage was poor, and it often took a long time to reach the North American market, all of which contributed to lower THC. I don't know if cross pollination was part of the reason too, or if they just had weaker strains to begin with.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:44 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,293,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
Perhaps there’s a difference between the nobody knows smokers and the everybody knows smoker? The nobody knows smokers probably smoke less and hide it the best...never interacting with law enforcement.
I had a brother-in-law and best friend's son that both died right after they hit 50. The two of them had to smoke everything from cigarettes, to pot, to hash and they also drank heavy. I could not blame just marijuana for their problems, but it was their addition with addictive substances. Of course somebody will argue that marijuana is not addictive, but if you have a compulsion to smoke anything in front of you, then it is an addiction. Moderation is the key to survival. One also has to know when enough is enough and when to quit.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:26 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,105,076 times
Interestingly enough, early settlers grew hemp, and I have read that J. Edgar Hoover could see it growing wild along the banks of the Potomac River from his office windows.

Poor folks in Appalachia, who could not afford to waste money on alcohol to relax, also grew hemp to serve that purpose, as well as for medicinal remedies.

Although I have always been told that Coca is the drug of choice in South America, chewing the leaves helping people be able to work and live in high elevations, a Marijuana association was made with Mexican migrant workers coming seasonally across the border to work and bringing marijuana with them.

It makes sense if you look at the fact that migrant workers are typically poor, and like the people of Appalachia, they would be looking for a substance that would not hinder their ability to work (have you ever heard of a marijuana hangover?), nor waste what few dollars they were earning.

Notwithstanding the fact that poor & 'intellectual' whites also used marijuana, somewhere around 1925 racism entered the picture and marijuana became associated with black & brown people in the minds of the public. In 1930 the Federal Bureau of Narcotics was created. In 1937, J Edgar Hoover further villainized marijuana by writing an article about sex fiends and marijuana -

'By J. Edgar Hoover (Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations) "The Indianapolis Sunday Star-This Week Magazine Section" - "War On The Sex Criminal," Sep. 26, 1937'

Im sure we all know that sex crimes were not eliminated and probably did not decrease any once marijuana became classified a Schedule I drug along with heroin and cocaine.

It would seem that in a time where we are looking to evolve into one race - human - and correct past injustices, we could put marijuana in its proper perspective finally - on a Federal Level.

As an aside, it just became obvious to me that this was the birthplace of Big Pharma. The wealthy could still get their opiates and cocaine preparations via a doctor's prescription.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 02-14-2021 at 06:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness