Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 11:26 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,899 times

Advertisements

So sorry to hear about your struggles. I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but this changed my life. Give it a watch and see what you think:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2023, 12:24 PM

727 posts, read 599,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I think you need to give up those dates and bananas for awhile.
Dates are delicious, but they are just pure sugar bombs. One date has more sugar than a sugar cube, so for each one, imagine eating an over-large sugar cube. Like popping sugar cubes for a snack. Tasty, but if you're looking for a healthy snack, this isn't it. More like an occasional treat, and even then just a couple.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:35 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
My wife had the same problem of gaining weight because she couldn't exercise. Her problem was her back and hip. Ended up getting gastric sleeve surgery, taking out 80% of her stomach. Lost 100 lbs. A good friend of mine wanted to do the same thing but where she works (Walmart) will only pay if she goes to a gastric surgeon in Toledo, Ohio. We're in western Ky. But the dietitician in my wife's gastric surgeon's office gave her a diet similar to the one my wife was on to lose some weight before the surgery. Been on it a month and has lost almost 25 lbs. Might check with your doctor to see if he could refer you to a dietitician locally.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
My sister-in-law has the same problem. Her knees are shot but they will not operate and give her artificial ones until she lost 70 lbs. She is actually doing well, with about 10 left to go. but it's been over a year. She has a handicap placard, and cannot go anywhere without a small electric scooter, and uses the ones that are provided at Costco. How she has lost the weight according to her is a combination of eliminating carbs, and using exercise equipment. She has several big workout devices that take up a spare bedroom, and probably cost a few thousand. She can't do treadmill but the exercise bicycle is easier on the knees, and the other devices work other parts like arms and belly. One day when we went to lunch with them she had a cheeseburger but didn't eat the bun and salad instead of fries.

Old 10-27-2023, 03:02 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Exercise, especially aerobic, is a very small part of weight loss; it's mostly restricting calories. Even invalids lose weight if they don't eat enough. You can also still do isometric exercises (such as with stretch bands) to build muscle.

Old 10-27-2023, 06:38 PM

7,789 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Thank you for your encouragement and kind comments. While I was on Wegovy -- injecting into my thighs -- I was on a strict diet of 600-700 calories per day. I have copious records.
Wow. 600-700 calories and you couldn't lose weight? That's extraordinary. Unprecedented.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My wife had the same problem of gaining weight because she couldn't exercise. Her problem was her back and hip. Ended up getting gastric sleeve surgery, taking out 80% of her stomach. Lost 100 lbs. A good friend of mine wanted to do the same thing but where she works (Walmart) will only pay if she goes to a gastric surgeon in Toledo, Ohio. We're in western Ky. But the dietitician in my wife's gastric surgeon's office gave her a diet similar to the one my wife was on to lose some weight before the surgery. Been on it a month and has lost almost 25 lbs. Might check with your doctor to see if he could refer you to a dietitician locally.

Early on I had a referral such as you mention. The first opening is five months away!

Old 10-27-2023, 07:19 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Wow. 600-700 calories and you couldn't lose weight? That's extraordinary. Unprecedented.
Keep in mind my knees are trashed. Otherwise I could waltz around the neighborhood all day.

Because walking is exquisitely painful, I spend time on my bed or sofa and do leg lifts. It doesn't hurt.

A few months before the advent of the pandemic I was getting physical therapy once a week at the CORE Institute in Phoenix. I found it very useful. I would really like to get back into that, using stationary bicycles and working with resistance bands.

Thanks for your comment.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
2023 has been hell for me.

The orthopod I consulted (good guy) said I needed to lose 50 lbs before he would fix my knees. I have those extra 50 lbs because my pulmonologist put me on prednisone.

Right knee is bone-on-bone and it's getting worse. Left knee is slightly less worse. My husband has to support me to help me walk. I have to literally pull myself up the stairs to get to bed.

I can't keep living like this. How can I lose 50 lbs when I can't even exercise?
Pardon the unintended pun, fluffy, but can you "stomach" the idea of going on a diet of everything being only liquid or puréed foods for a couple of months? That could help to drop some pounds rapidly while still getting the same content of foods and nutrition you need.

Old 10-27-2023, 08:29 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I don't see how eating "the same content of foods," only pureed, would help anyone lose weight; texture doesn't matter. Fasting, however, could work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness