Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 10:30 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

2023 has been hell for me.

The orthopod I consulted (good guy) said I needed to lose 50 lbs before he would fix my knees. I have those extra 50 lbs because my pulmonologist put me on prednisone.

Right knee is bone-on-bone and it's getting worse. Left knee is slightly less worse. My husband has to support me to help me walk. I have to literally pull myself up the stairs to get to bed.

I can't keep living like this. How can I lose 50 lbs when I can't even exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 10:47 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Most people lose weight by restricting their calories. When I lost 50lbs 3 years ago I literally weighed and measured everything I ate or drank. To conserve my calories for food I mostly drink water. I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and count the calories for the milk I put in it. It’s really sad that you are in pain and can’t exercise but I read that exercising is good for your health but not the mechanism by which most people lose weight.

Old 10-25-2023, 11:08 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Weight loss happens mostly in the kitchen. You can lose weight if bedridden if your intake is correct for your (lack of) activity.

Swimming might help you feel some relief from the knees though.

Old 10-25-2023, 11:19 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Hey Terry,

Oh, I've been there done that. First it was Wegovy. After three months of one-shot-a-week, I didn't so much as lose an ounce even though I was eating very lightly... fruits and vegetables mostly. Even my PCP said it wasn't working so there was no point in going further. $3,600 down the drain.

Six months of my knees degenerating even further. Now I'm one of those motorized cart ladies who zips around in Costco.

Everyone has their own story.

Old 10-26-2023, 05:44 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
2023 has been hell for me.

The orthopod I consulted (good guy) said I needed to lose 50 lbs before he would fix my knees. I have those extra 50 lbs because my pulmonologist put me on prednisone.

Right knee is bone-on-bone and it's getting worse. Left knee is slightly less worse. My husband has to support me to help me walk. I have to literally pull myself up the stairs to get to bed.

I can't keep living like this. How can I lose 50 lbs when I can't even exercise?
Talk to the orthopod. I'll bet dollars to donuts...err, rice cakes...that he can hook you up with weight loss programs and dieticians who will work with you to lose this weight by via a calorie-counting diet and a proper exercise regimen. Not saying that it will be easy, but it can be done.

Old 10-26-2023, 05:54 AM

721 posts, read 597,690 times
There was an article recently (Washington Post, if I recall) about a weight loss study where they had two groups of people. Both groups were on a restricted diet. One group also exercised (combination of weight lifting, cardio and high intensity interval training under the instruction of personal trainers) and the other group did no exercise. They lost the same amount of weight after 6 months. The exercisers did benefit with improved blood measurements (cholesterol, triglycerides, BP, etc.) but the weight loss was near identical.

As a person who has had weight struggles all my life and who is a dedicated exerciser, I found that so interesting.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:18 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Is liposuction a thing anymore? Maybe that would help assuming you are not continually consuming too many calories. If too many calories there are certain surgeries involving your digestive tract that are successful.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:25 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Everyone's health situation is unique.

If prednisone is the issue then water retention is a major issue. The link suggests eating a low sodium & high potassium diet.
  • Eating foods that are high in potassium, like dates, bananas, cantaloupe, grapefruit, and lima beans
  • Reducing your sodium to less than 2,000 mg a day
  • Avoiding highly processed foods

Reduce calories
  • Eat fewer calories each day.
  • Eat several small meals a day instead of three large ones.
  • Eat more fiber-rich foods.
  • Eliminate or reduce empty calories, such as simple carbohydrates and processed sugars.
  • Make sure that most of your calories come from nourishing foods.
  • Don't drink alcohol.

For exercise - just do something to get your heart rate up. Maybe it's not walking... get some dumbbells and work your upper body. There are probably some "sit and be fit" videos on YouTube that can help as well.

You can get thru this. Keeping your spirit up and your attitude positive is probably the most important thing.

Blessings to you...

Old 10-26-2023, 07:40 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Are there any water aerobics classes near you? It's great way to get exercise without stressing your joints. The exercise is for more than just weight loss though - the more you move those joints, the less pain you'll have. I have OA in my back (SI joints), knees and feet. I bought a used massage table and use that to do PT exercises - much easier than getting up and down off the ground. I find that the more I move the less I hurt. Weight bearing exercises (dumbbells will work) will help you build muscle that helps you burn more calories. It's not a quick fix. It took me over a year of working out at the gym before I started to see those results, but I feel a lot better and stronger too. If you haven't already done physical therapy, it can work wonders too.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:49 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Fluffy, are you still on the prednisone? I had to go on high doses ten years ago and I blew up like a Macy*s parade balloon. Some of it came off right away, but the rest was very slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness