Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

3 weeks to adjust. my best friend hates them and took them back.
he would rather be blind up close than use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
Good news here.. I had a cataract removed this week and the other one will be removed next week and will no longer need bifocals of any kind! (I'm going to miss them I am sure). I no longer need glasses for far away vision, the eye that was done this week has 20/20 vision for distance.. I will only need glasses for reading when done..

Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
They have to be made to fit the frames you choose. I had to take my first pair back. My husband likes the lines in his!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'm two hours into my new progressive lenses and just about ready to take the darn things back. Costco has a two week free exchange if I can't get use to them. But they seem really, really weird to me and I don't like them at all so far.

Seems like I have to be looking specifically at a certain spot, through an exact portion of the lense, and everything above and to the side of my focal point is blurry. Even reading what I am typiing here - I can't just move my eyes along a sentence, I have to move my entire head and look directly through the same part of the lense otherwise the sentence two or three words to the right or left looks fuzzy.

Questions:
1) Does it stay this way or do your eyes adjust in some way that become more tolerable?
2) If eyes do adjust, about how long should I give it before I give up and go back to regular bifocal lenses?

Thanks

Steve
I've had mine for about a month. I was very surprised to go from single lenses to progressive trifocals. My wife, on the other hand, was very amused and has enjoyed referring to me as the "Old Man."

Mine really bugged me for a couple days. I really disliked what they did to my peripheral vision. But I quickly became accustomed to moving my head up & down, and looking more directly at things.

I'm glad I have them.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
Your contacts are actually monovision--one eye for close up and one for distance.
I took to monovision like a duck to water. Maybe because I was so thrilled I could read again ...

Bifocal lenses, either contacts or glasses ... I couldn't take it! I felt like I was teetering on the edge of a cliff all day.

But my sister, who has nearly the same vision I do, couldn't stand monovision. Go figure.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
I still have not acclimated to progressives. Have switched frames and switched to the highest quality lens, had my eyes retested, the whole nine yards. My vision stinks compared to before, but I've become use to it, though not happy with it.

The one thing I haven't tried is a different eye doctor and a different lens maker. I've thought of that. I've also thought of reverting to bifocals and a separate set of computer glasses. But the Costco people told me that eventually, perhaps within 5 years, bifocals will be phased out and almost everyone will wear progressives, so it would be better for me to just get use to it.

But just yesterday, as I realized I couldn't read the road signs very well again, I thought about this very topic and wondered if I should get reexamined and try a different vendor.

Steve

Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
You know - WHY won't they do monovision with eyeglasses? I actually was naturally "monovision" most of my life as I was nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in another and the doctor said that my brain managed it [yes, I have no true 3D that way but you compensate for that as well] and felt I could easily adjust but nobody would do it.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,355 times
Quote:
I'm two hours into my new progressive lenses and just about ready to take the darn things back. Costco has a two week free exchange if I can't get use to them. But they seem really, really weird to me and I don't like them at all so far.

Seems like I have to be looking specifically at a certain spot, through an exact portion of the lense, and everything above and to the side of my focal point is blurry. Even reading what I am typiing here - I can't just move my eyes along a sentence, I have to move my entire head and look directly through the same part of the lense otherwise the sentence two or three words to the right or left looks fuzzy.

Questions:
1) Does it stay this way or do your eyes adjust in some way that become more tolerable?
2) If eyes do adjust, about how long should I give it before I give up and go back to regular bifocal lenses?

Thanks

Steve
I've worn progressives for years and love them...I will tell you this...if they don't measure the seg height (how high the bifocal portion is in the lense itself) correctly they will drive you nuts!

My first pair were measured correctly and they were wonderful from the minute I put them on. The last couple of pairs that I've gotten were measured incorrectly and I had to take them back and have them remade. But once that was corrected they were great!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
If you are having problems, keep going back to get them adjusted. However, there are always some people who just cannot adjust to this and will have to have a lined bifocal. It really does take some getting used to, especially if you are prone to motion sickness.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:58 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
I still have not acclimated to progressives. Have switched frames and switched to the highest quality lens, had my eyes retested, the whole nine yards. My vision stinks compared to before, but I've become use to it, though not happy with it.

The one thing I haven't tried is a different eye doctor and a different lens maker. I've thought of that. I've also thought of reverting to bifocals and a separate set of computer glasses. But the Costco people told me that eventually, perhaps within 5 years, bifocals will be phased out and almost everyone will wear progressives, so it would be better for me to just get use to it.

But just yesterday, as I realized I couldn't read the road signs very well again, I thought about this very topic and wondered if I should get reexamined and try a different vendor.

Steve
Well, I will say this...it has been my husband's and my experience (and we both wear progressives) that all eye doctors are NOT created equal. IMO, prescribing progressives a bit of an art rather than a precise science if that makes sense. Just saying...might be worth a try to use someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness