Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,052,648 times

Advertisements

I'm two hours into my new progressive lenses and just about ready to take the darn things back. Costco has a two week free exchange if I can't get use to them. But they seem really, really weird to me and I don't like them at all so far.

Seems like I have to be looking specifically at a certain spot, through an exact portion of the lense, and everything above and to the side of my focal point is blurry. Even reading what I am typiing here - I can't just move my eyes along a sentence, I have to move my entire head and look directly through the same part of the lense otherwise the sentence two or three words to the right or left looks fuzzy.

Questions:
1) Does it stay this way or do your eyes adjust in some way that become more tolerable?
2) If eyes do adjust, about how long should I give it before I give up and go back to regular bifocal lenses?

Thanks

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 01:03 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,519 times
I've wore progressive lens for many years and twice I had that problem.. Take them back and tell them you NEED a higher quality lens! Sounds like they gave you the cheap, cut rate lens. The field of vision on mine was a narrow line down the center through the whole lens (about the size of a piece of thread). I couldn't read books, road signs or anything! I was so mad! I couldn't even iron my cloths while wearing them. I took them back and raised Holy Heck! It should be against the law to sell anything of that quality because people have to depend on their eyes for everything! The first time I had to pay to upgrade, the second time I DEMANDED they make it right at their expense because I told the girl over and over, I NEEDED GOOD QUALITY and that was what I paid for! (first time I didn't because I didn't know the law allowed such stuff to go on.)

They will be GLAD to upgrade you to a higher quality lens... for a fee of coarse. (Bait and switch)

Added note: I have wore galsses for most of my life and found that if they tell me my eyes "need to adjust" to a new pair, they are WRONG.. Yes, when you get the first pair of bifocals you may.. I needed them and didn't have to adjust at all to them. If my eyes don't work with a pair, something is wrong in the Rx of the lens they put in my glasses.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:16 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,850 times
It took me almost 3 weeks to get used to mine. I kept at despite feeling disoriented, headachy and just kind of weird and now I love them and can't imagine going back to my old glasses.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
The field of vision on mine was a narrow line down the center through the whole lens (about the size of a piece of thread).
That's exactly what it seems like. I will go back and ask about this. It the field of vision was wider, at least wide enough to read a computer screen or a paragraph in a book or magazine without having to rotate my entire head, I might be able to get use to it.

Steve

Old 04-12-2009, 10:43 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,030 times
Default Progressive Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'm two hours into my new progressive lenses and just about ready to take the darn things back. Costco has a two week free exchange if I can't get use to them. But they seem really, really weird to me and I don't like them at all so far.
Seems like I have to be looking specifically at a certain spot, through an exact portion of the lense, and everything above and to the side of my focal point is blurry. Even reading what I am typiing here - I can't just move my eyes along a sentence, I have to move my entire head and look directly through the same part of the lense otherwise the sentence two or three words to the right or left looks fuzzy.
Questions:
1) Does it stay this way or do your eyes adjust in some way that become more tolerable?
2) If eyes do adjust, about how long should I give it before I give up and go back to regular bifocal lenses?Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve: I have had transitional lenses for years and would never have regular bifocals. It didn't take me but a few weeks to adjust. With transitional lenses....the top portion is usually for distance, middle is called "shelf vision" and lastly the bottom portion is for reading and close work. It is difficult to work on a computer with transitional lenses, but I have learned to adjust. Some people do have glasses just for the computer.

The beauty of a transitional lens is that you do not have to deal with the "line" that a bifocal has. The lens "transitions" slowly from one vision field to the next...give it some more time. In the meantime, try not to work the glasses and let your eyes do the work for you. Moving your head to accomodate a certain vision range is not good..you won't get use to the lens.

By the way....I also have bi-focal contact lenses and love them. My left eye sees things up close and the right eye sees distance. I got use to them immediately. The eye doctor I go to said your brain will adjust to the two different sights if you relax and let it happen.

One last thing....make sure there is nothing wrong with the lens itself. I had one pair of transitional lenses that had to be adjusted several times. The lenses of glasses are so small now that it takes a real good technician to be sure that the fields of vision are all correctly lined up...go back and have the lens checked if this doesn't get any better.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post

One last thing....make sure there is nothing wrong with the lens itself. I had one pair of transitional lenses that had to be adjusted several times. The lenses of glasses are so small now that it takes a real good technician to be sure that the fields of vision are all correctly lined up...go back and have the lens checked if this doesn't get any better.
I would agree with this. Sometimes the lens is not done exactly right. Sometimes the frame just doesn't have enough vertical depth to accomodate progressives very well.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
I have worn nothing but progressive lenses for probably 15 or 20 years.
When I get a new pair, sometime my eyes adjust right away, sometimes it takes a week or so.
A couple of times they would just not adjust and I had to take them back and try a different kind of progressive lens.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Mine are still not adjusting. I don't like these at all. But I'm going to give it at least a couple of weeks then go back in to see what changes can be made to make a new set with a wider scope of vision down the middle.
Steve

Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I've wore progressive lens for many years and twice I had that problem.. Take them back and tell them you NEED a higher quality lens! Sounds like they gave you the cheap, cut rate lens. The field of vision on mine was a narrow line down the center through the whole lens (about the size of a piece of thread).
Very true...there are many brands of progressive lenses out there, and the cheaper they are, the worse they are. The best available are Zeiss but they come at a premium price of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
By the way....I also have bi-focal contact lenses and love them. My left eye sees things up close and the right eye sees distance. I got use to them immediately. The eye doctor I go to said your brain will adjust to the two different sights if you relax and let it happen..
Your contacts are actually monovision--one eye for close up and one for distance. True bifocal or multifocal contacts have each eye for all vision, not one eye for each. Some people can never adjust to these type of lenses so consider yourself one of the lucky ones! Also, you can get lasik vision correction done as monovision now...but if you've never tried it before, you would be required to try it with contacts first.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,048 times
I'm getting ready to get my third pair of transitional lenses. I had absolutely no problems with either pair I've had and I got them at Costco. It took no time at all to adjust to them. I just put them on and immediately noticed how much better I could see! It might be my age, but I've really noticed the past few years when my eyesight has changed. I know when it's time for new glasses even before I go for a checkup. I'll always use transitional lenses. I've tried contacts a few times and just don't like them. They're a pain in the rear for me. I don't see any benefit to get lasik surgery as I would have to use readers anyway. Glasses are just a part of "me"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness