Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please read the post before choosing an option!
Grab a knife & keep squeezin' the cheese - it has to come out eventually! 0 0%
Leave it alone and hope it goes away (or lessens dramaticly as it has in the past, even if it reoccurs later) 3 20.00%
See a doctor - (please recommend smaller clinics that may specialize in this, rather than a huge scary hospistal) 11 73.33%
Click here to yell at me for not having health insurance. 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 40,427 times

Advertisements

I have read every single post in this thread. It has been very informative so thank you all. I have had a sebaceous cyst on my back for almost 10 years. It started out small but then grew to the size of a quarter. Initially it was not painful. It was just a hard lump under my skin. About 5 years ago my russian girlfriend who was a nurse at the time examined it and decided to remove it for me at home. She steralized a needle and made a small puncture in it and very slowly pushed all of it out. It was hard and white, like cheese and yes it smelled rancid. There was a minimal amount of blood that came out with it also. I was very relieved once she was done. I felt good knowing it was gone for good so I thought.

OK, fast forward 5 years. Over time the cyst slowly reformed in the same spot (i'm guessing because the SAC where the vile gunk is formed was not removed.) I asked my doctor several times in the last year to please remove it and he THE HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL, kept saying oh don't worry about it. If you are not in pain and it's not infected there is no need to have it removed, so of course he's the doctor so I took his advice. Well I woke up this morning in pain and guess what? So it's now a little bit larger than it was before and the reason I noticed it today was because it must have gotten infected because it is now red and painful, unlike the last one that was NOT infected. I consulted a Dermatologist today and this is what they told me.

Moderator cut: no names The cost for the removal of the cyst depends on what method they use. They may be able to inject it or they may be able to do an incision and let it drain or they may need to do a full excision depending on how big it is. I would recommend that you come in for a consultation; they can look at it and then they can give you a quote for treatment. There is an $85 charge for the consult, but knowing that you don’t have insurance, I will have them apply the consult fee to the treatment. Let me know if you would like to schedule an appointment.

Well i'm not messing around with this. I'm going in tomorrow to have it looked at. I would not mess around with these cysts people. Get it looked at by a healthcare professional. I'd like to save the money since i'm out of work but I would not reccomend a home remedy. You can give yourself a serious infection or worse. It's not worth it.

Final note: I watched the video and although it was very informative I nearly fainted and puked. I don't know how these doctors do it, but i'm happy they do cause there's no way I could. I'm actually scared to death to have it done cause I think they have to remove the sac so it wont come back and i'm a total baby when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for listening to my story. I'll let you know how it goes!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-23-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 104,770 times
Thanks Midwest Maven, not procrastinating having a Dematologist remove it (i can afford the cost, $200?). leaving soon for 1-2months in Florida camping, thought between being in the ocean (saltwater) would help it & being on Big Pine Key (FL.Keys) theres enough other people around that would help me rid of it, so could just wait & see a dermatologist down there remove it instead of up here, in Michigan. definately cheaper. not a problem finding a skin dematologist or schedule of free clinics (middle Keys) giving free skin tests. everyone who lives there (surrounded by the Sun) has skin cancer.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 39,199 times
I was told it is nothing to worry about had mine for 4 years , doc sed it is nothing so I let it be , now it has taken up my life no dresses just trousers so took meself back to doctors and am awaiting to have it removed plus skin grafts maybe next year I will venture a dress lol , it has just grown and grown but now becos of the size it is a hospital job thanks for all the information , was good to read most of it I tried myself , I too am a coward

Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 38,700 times
I have one of these on my face and it's really embarrassing. I have had it for a very long time but it has been growing over time and I have really had it! ( Trying to hide it with my hair is just not going to cut it anymore ) I want to slice it open but I have not had it diagnosed although everything you describe is what my bump is. Today I am searching around because I noticed it felt a bit painful and it's a bit red. Did the heat pad really do the trick?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
For one on your face, you need to go to a dermatologist. Seriously. It won't cost much and they have plenty of practice doing it right. Don't give yourself a nasty scar. If it is red and painful, DON'T TOUCH IT. Trust me, that only makes it worse. A heating pad will not help this type of cyst, they must be surgically excised. You may need a course of antibiotics first if it has become inflamed.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 38,613 times
I've had one on my ******* for about three years now. It was the size of a skittle and just under the skin. At first I punctured it with a sterile needle to see if it was fluid or solid. After I determined it was solid and most likely keratin, I made a small 2-3 mm incision with a sterile razor blade over the mass. With the aid of some sterilized tweezers, I squeezed and pulled the mass until it was outside of my skin then severed any attachment with the razor blade. I pulled out any remaining particles of what could have been associated with the mass out of the wound. I then cleaned the wound, applied iodine around it, anti bacterial ointment over it, then squeezed close the incision and applied water proof band-aids. I did all this just today, I'll let you know how it heals up and if anything reoccurs.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzeebug85 View Post
I have one of these on my face and it's really embarrassing. I have had it for a very long time but it has been growing over time and I have really had it! ( Trying to hide it with my hair is just not going to cut it anymore ) I want to slice it open but I have not had it diagnosed although everything you describe is what my bump is. Today I am searching around because I noticed it felt a bit painful and it's a bit red. Did the heat pad really do the trick?

You really should see a dermatologist. A sebaceous cyst is serious. It's removal is not for armatures.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 38,241 times
Hi, just thought I'd share my experience of a five year old sebaceous cyst. Mine was about the size of a skittle, not done anything until a few months ago when it became painful and was a little oozy....it's on my shoulder so would rub on my clothing. I googled it and realised what it was, but being a wuss, didn't want to have it removed at my doctors. I squeezed it and decided to try tea tree oil soaked in a cotton wool pad placed on it twice a day, then a plaster (sorry....I'm from uk....a band aid). I did this for a week until it dried out, then forgot to keep this going. Yesterday it bothered me again, when I checked it had a sharp thing sticking out, so I pulled it with tweezers.......the whole cyst sac just came out, no blood, clean, no pain at all.....now it's gone!!! No lump !! I'm just so pleased I didn't go to the doctors!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 37,547 times
I have 2 right now, and have had 1 removed in the past. Its a sebaceous cyst or 'wen' and you can't remove it yourself. well, safely that is. It would probably be around $800.-1,000. out of pocket to have removed. Its a simple procedure, they clip hair (on the scalp...thats where mine are/were) just a couple to see it better, and prob. inject a local anesthesia and make a slit to then pull the ball o' stuff out. its really real gross!! My doc showed it to me and cut it in half! Ew...just like a piece of white cheese or solid stuff. So yeah, you can't remove it yourself. don't even try!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercups jo View Post
Hi, just thought I'd share my experience of a five year old sebaceous cyst. Mine was about the size of a skittle, not done anything until a few months ago when it became painful and was a little oozy....it's on my shoulder so would rub on my clothing. I googled it and realised what it was, but being a wuss, didn't want to have it removed at my doctors. I squeezed it and decided to try tea tree oil soaked in a cotton wool pad placed on it twice a day, then a plaster (sorry....I'm from uk....a band aid). I did this for a week until it dried out, then forgot to keep this going. Yesterday it bothered me again, when I checked it had a sharp thing sticking out, so I pulled it with tweezers.......the whole cyst sac just came out, no blood, clean, no pain at all.....now it's gone!!! No lump !! I'm just so pleased I didn't go to the doctors!
You'll have to see if it comes back or not. If you did not get the whole sac that envelopes it, it will come back again. Hopefully you got it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness