Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:09 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,266,874 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with it? I wanted to do an ocean-themed, glass mosaic mural in my entire shower stall. I'm fine with putting together color patterns and the artistic side of the project, it's the tile part: (cutting, installing, tools, grouting, etc.) that I'm not too familiar with. Is it fairly easy to learn by watching "how-to" videos or should I take a class?

Thanks, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 12:00 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,860,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
Is anyone familiar with it? I wanted to do an ocean-themed, glass mosaic mural in my entire shower stall. I'm fine with putting together color patterns and the artistic side of the project, it's the tile part: (cutting, installing, tools, grouting, etc.) that I'm not too familiar with. Is it fairly easy to learn by watching "how-to" videos or should I take a class?

Thanks, Jay
I learned to tile by watching and helping a master tile setter and it was VERY useful for some of the textures of the materials (like thinset and grout). Knowing what it should feel like, how it should spread was far better than reading about it or watching videos.

I might start with a flat mosaic (like a tabletop) before working up to a wall, which is harder to tile.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I learned to tile by watching and helping a master tile setter and it was VERY useful for some of the textures of the materials (like thinset and grout). Knowing what it should feel like, how it should spread was far better than reading about it or watching videos.

I might start with a flat mosaic (like a tabletop) before working up to a wall, which is harder to tile.
Thanks!! You're right, I should start with a less complicated project like a tabletop before taking on an entire shower. I've been watching videos and reading about setting mosaic tile, but I think I'd learn a lot more from a master tile setter like you did, especially one with an eye for color and patterns. Unfortunately, I don't know any, but there is a mosaic tile class coming up soon in my area so I'll probably sign up. The instructor has 30 years experience according to the class schedule guide, so that's good!

Old 10-02-2016, 08:16 AM

17,483 posts, read 66,220,515 times
This maybe a good alternative-

http://www.musselbound.com/pdf/Musse...structions.pdf

With this you could create your mural on a bench (no thinset to worry about/dry out while the creative juices are flowing), cut it into sizes that are easily handled, and install onto the walls.
Again, no thinset to worry about. Once everything is in place, grout, and done.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This maybe a good alternative-

http://www.musselbound.com/pdf/Musse...structions.pdf

With this you could create your mural on a bench (no thinset to worry about/dry out while the creative juices are flowing), cut it into sizes that are easily handled, and install onto the walls.
Again, no thinset to worry about. Once everything is in place, grout, and done.
This sounds like a great product to try, thank you! With no thinset being used, I could focus more on the design and less on cleaning up and the risk of it drying out before setting the tile properly.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,232,838 times
Show us your mural when you get done, sound fun. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:07 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
I would take a class if I were you, OP. A good class would give you some hands-on experience, and an opportunity to learn the kind of thing a master tile-setter could teach you, like PNW gal said. I lOVE designing tilework! What a great project!

Old 10-03-2016, 12:14 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,525 posts, read 6,338,699 times
I agree start with something small. This is just a crazy thought. I have never tried this but I wonder if you could do your tiling on some kind of shower panels. Precut the panels to fit the shower then lay them flat to do your tile work. Install the panels on the wall when done. Don't forget to allow for tile overlap in the corners. Easier to work on a flat surface and with the shower panel backing you could be sure you had a good water barrier.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:51 AM

24,750 posts, read 11,078,306 times
Do a demo piece before starting your project.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:43 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice! I signed up for the mosaic art class and I'm very excited!!

Does anyone like this design?
Glass Tile Bathroom Gallery - Custom Mosaic Tile Design for Shower with Ocean Motif | Glass Tile Club

I have different plans, but I love the colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating