Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 06:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I'm in VT. Summers are pretty good here and our deck is new and covered, although if it rains from south to north we get some rain. I won't let it rain on the cushions. We spend most of the summer out there so it will be worth it to pay for good cushions. I'm researching marine upholstery in my area now. We do have Lake Champlain and many folks have boats. Custom though may be out of my price range.
And if I spend that money, the cushions will be stowed away for the winter.

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were out West in Washington.

Yeah, I really liked her idea about the marine upholstery (makes sense). Less maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 06:38 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
This place seems pretty reasonable…
https://cushionsxpress.com/

I can’t remember the name of the place I used, but I replaced all the filling in my patio furniture cushions for $100. It didn’t include the covers, but that place made covers too.

Old 12-23-2023, 06:55 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This place seems pretty reasonable…
https://cushionsxpress.com/

I can’t remember the name of the place I used, but I replaced all the filling in my patio furniture cushions for $100. It didn’t include the covers, but that place made covers too.
This looks interesting!! Gonna surf around.
Edit: This looks promising! thank you

Old 12-23-2023, 07:08 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Quote:
Wow!!! I never knew these were so expensive. Went to one place to have a bench type cushion made for a small divan I have on my front porch and (foam and cover) would have cost me more than the divan itself!

I'll need five bottom cushions and 5 back cushions. 3 sets for the three seater because I'm not sure I can find one long bottom/back set for that piece, unless I get that custom made. We shall see.
that's why they were out at the curb with a free sign on them.

Old 12-23-2023, 07:31 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
The furniture in the pic IS NOT “wrought iron”! It’s just steel- based on the statement of weight.

If you want it to last a long time without rusting- I’d look for a place that does powder-coating. They can sand/soda blast the furniture and powder-coat it. Will literally last longer than you.
Other than labor, cushion expense is in the “filler”. There is a whole plethora of foams- some intended for outdoor use- others not so much! The fastest drying cushions usually tend to be poly-filled… water just runs right through them.

Coverings can run the gambit…
Sunbrella, is considered the king of outdoor materials. Just have to make sure it’s actually “Sunbrella”- there are a lot of knock-offs, and other companies that claim to be “as good” or better- not that I’ve seen. I have some Sunbrella on my boat. But all the cushions in the saloon, and berths are “Ultraleather”. It’s also very good for outdoor cushions- but I chose not to use it for the cockpit cushions because they get walked/stepped on quite a bit; along with extended sun exposure make them rather hot to bare skin (at least dark colors).

Old 12-23-2023, 08:21 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
The prior owners said it was wrought iron but I suppose they could be wrong. I tried looking for maker marks on it and was not able to find any. Even so, it is heavy duty and will last us a long time, too. They were the ones who painted it with the bronzy/taupey color which I like alot and won't change unless I need to.
Agree about Sunbrella...and making sure the fabric is genuine. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The furniture in the pic IS NOT “wrought iron”! It’s just steel- based on the statement of weight.

If you want it to last a long time without rusting- I’d look for a place that does powder-coating. They can sand/soda blast the furniture and powder-coat it. Will literally last longer than you.

Other than labor, cushion expense is in the “filler”. There is a whole plethora of foams- some intended for outdoor use- others not so much! The fastest drying cushions usually tend to be poly-filled… water just runs right through them.

Coverings can run the gambit…
Sunbrella, is considered the king of outdoor materials. Just have to make sure it’s actually “Sunbrella”- there are a lot of knock-offs, and other companies that claim to be “as good” or better- not that I’ve seen. I have some Sunbrella on my boat. But all the cushions in the saloon, and berths are “Ultraleather”. It’s also very good for outdoor cushions- but I chose not to use it for the cockpit cushions because they get walked/stepped on quite a bit; along with extended sun exposure make them rather hot to bare skin (at least dark colors).

Oh, that's what I need to do because my Rustoleum painting efforts now have such diminishing returns.

Old 12-23-2023, 02:54 PM

They actually make wrought iron furniture that looks exactly like the $200 set I bought at Target in 2002. It looks just like the mesh metal I have; but, it's likely much heavier and it comes with the powder coating that's being explained above. Example at Kettlers.

Old 12-23-2023, 02:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Wow!!! I never knew these were so expensive. Went to one place to have a bench type cushion made for a small divan I have on my front porch and (foam and cover) would have cost me more than the divan itself!

I'll need five bottom cushions and 5 back cushions. 3 sets for the three seater because I'm not sure I can find one long bottom/back set for that piece, unless I get that custom made. We shall see.
You may be able to use seat cushions for the back as well. That is what we ended up doing and it worked well on a 2-seater. Beg for a discount! A 3-seater 1-piece can be ordered. Ballard's may be a good start. You got the furniture for free! I would go to a local outdoor store where you can pick fabric, foam density and can go back with issues.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have metal chairs and a metal table (not wrought iron) and I just use them without cushions (completely comfortable). Oh, and I do have the unused sunbrella cushions for them stored in the garage. Every 2-3 years I have to spray paint them. I purchased them in 2002 at Target (the whole set for $200). So, I got my money's worth out of them. If I cannot paint them and clean them up any longer I might need to actually buy the wrought iron ones (go thrifting for that)... b/c outdoors... who cares...
We went that route for the entrance in DFW. Paint lasted not even a summer. Not using cushions? During "100 days over 100" I would have had a nice grill pattern on my rear:>) Was rehomed in OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating