Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 04:00 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We went that route for the entrance in DFW. Paint lasted not even a summer. Not using cushions? During "100 days over 100" I would have had a nice grill pattern on my rear:>) Was rehomed in OK.
Oh, yeah, PNW and I steer clear of the hottest days. I used to be able to handle it as I grew up in the desert. But, got very spoiled in the PNW. I wander around in a T shirt most of the year and the most I put on is a sweater. So, I went the opposite direction.

I have had my paint jobs last 3-4 years before they bugged me so much I had to repaint (and I am pretty buggable).

I might need to replace it because it's had too many coats of paint and the feet on everything does not slide so well anymore (22 years of aggregate concrete have abused them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 09:50 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
There might be overstock available online at a discount.

Best time to buy patio stuff is in July, everything summer goes on sale so they can make room for fall.

But I think your best bet is custom, with marine upholstery. Or if the marine upholstery is boring or sweaty, have one side of each cushion upholstered in pretty Sunbrella, but keep that side turned down except when using it.

Old 12-23-2023, 11:17 PM

I was just looking, and you can buy commercial grade cafe furniture that is powder coated. That's the way I will go to replace my $200 20-year-old Target stuff (not worth paying to powder coat that old stuff). I will probably string mine along another couple of years first though.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:14 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The furniture in the pic IS NOT “wrought iron”! It’s just steel- based on the statement of weight.
How would I tell for sure that this set IS wrought iron then? Neighbors say it is over 60 yrs old. Online resources show very similar sets described as wrought iron. Other advice is to 'strike' the metal and based on the color of the spark you can tell if it's iron vs steel.
Do you have any other suggestions? I still love the set, either way.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:24 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
How would I tell for sure that this set IS wrought iron then? Neighbors say it is over 60 yrs old. Online resources show very similar sets described as wrought iron.
Most people are ignorant about wrought iron and steel.
Difference Between Wrought Iron and Steel | Difference Between

Old 12-25-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Most people are ignorant about wrought iron and steel.
Difference Between Wrought Iron and Steel | Difference Between
^^that was informative! thanks....
but I'm still not sure how I am supposed to tell what I have. As I said, however, I guess it doesn't really matter because I am keeping it. It is very heavy and looks good.

Old 12-25-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
^^that was informative! thanks....
but I'm still not sure how I am supposed to tell what I have. As I said, however, I guess it doesn't really matter because I am keeping it. It is very heavy and looks good.
I would just have it powder coated and buy the cushions, have the marine fabric switched out after the original upholstery wears out and not put too much extra thought into it. It's what you want. So, go for it.

Old 12-29-2023, 04:04 PM

Okay, my 'test set' of cushions arrived today from Wayfair. See picture below.
I was so happy with these cushions that I ordered another set right away (for the bounce chair). The seat cushion is 6 inches thick and solid; the 'back' cushion is cushy but supportive. Fabric substantial and a true navy blue. They are about 2 1/2 inches wider than my seats, but smooshing them in a bit will work for me.
Bummer part is I need 3 more sets if I want to do the 3 seater, but that piece is 64 inches wide - 3 cushions will be too wide.
At least I got two taken care of.

https://www.wayfair.com/shop-product...piid=213182240

Old 12-29-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Okay, my 'test set' of cushions arrived today from Wayfair. See picture below.
I was so happy with these cushions that I ordered another set right away (for the bounce chair). The seat cushion is 6 inches thick and solid; the 'back' cushion is cushy but supportive. Fabric substantial and a true navy blue. They are about 2 1/2 inches wider than my seats, but smooshing them in a bit will work for me.
Bummer part is I need 3 more sets if I want to do the 3 seater, but that piece is 64 inches wide - 3 cushions will be too wide.
At least I got two taken care of.

https://www.wayfair.com/shop-product...piid=213182240

Very nice! I am surprised you made a fast decision and acted on it. That's rare on CD

Old 12-29-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Very nice! I am surprised you made a fast decision and acted on it. That's rare on CD
Well, they're on sale (not by much, although initially they showed at $179, now showing $149 ish regular).
I don't think I could even try to make them for that price and we want more comfortable cushions than we've had on other outdoor furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating