Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 04:13 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times

Advertisements

I like my home to feel warm and inviting. I display objects that have personal meaning of which some have been in my family for generations. I like less stuff than when younger because it’s quicker to clean. If a house is too sparse it doesn’t feel comfortable. I have accent walls for color as well as pictures, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 04:27 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That is not my experience at all.

In fact, too many have too many objects on the wall, including cheap art from Home Interiors and/or Pier 1 and the like.
Covering one's walls with cheap mass produced schlock from big box stores isn't what I'd call personalized decor.

Old 03-06-2024, 04:38 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Me! Me! Me!

I have a cheap mass produced painting from Pier 1. It's birch trunks, with red foliage at the bottom.

I've seen it in other people's houses. And I still love it.

Everything else is either derived from my photos, or local artists.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2024, 04:44 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Covering one's walls with cheap mass produced schlock from big box stores isn't what I'd call personalized decor.
Then we agree!

Old 03-06-2024, 10:18 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Me! Me! Me!

I have a cheap mass produced painting from Pier 1. It's birch trunks, with red foliage at the bottom.

Oh, heavens to Betsy!
Not Shlock!

Old 03-07-2024, 08:41 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
My decorating style is fun and comfy so we have lots of family photos, some mementos passed down from family and yes, some mass produced things that I like because they match the rooms and make me smile. I certainly don't buy a lot but I did recently pick up some wall art from a local artist at a small shop in a tiny town in the mountains. It looks perfect above the fireplace.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:09 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I'm one of you that has to surround myself with items which have personal meaning. After all these years touring my house is like reading a diary of our family.

Old furniture that made the long voyage from the homeland, souvenirs from vacations, items we've made. Outdoors found oddities like driftwood, shells, animal artifacts and interesting rocks. Gifts from favorite people. Over the years I decorated my four-bedroom home from the local fabric stores. Fun.

Unfortunately, arriving at our giving away years, thiis makes it much more difficult for me to declutter. I've started giving our kids' artwork back to them. Think it may hurt their feelings a little.

I really need to take pictures of everything and ship it all off to simplify my life.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:42 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
I have my parents' art adorning the walls of our living room, kitchen, and bedrooms.

The fireplace hearth, and mantel has some items we've gotten on our travels. Our style is western rustic.

We have a sofa table covered in framed family photos that is right at the front door for all to see as they come in the door. Our hallway and stairwell is full of framed family photos.

The house is still painted the same colors that were there when we moved in 15 years ago. Even the window treatments that were left behind are the same. All that we changed was our personal belongings.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:46 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Me! Me! Me!

I am similar in that I have 2 paintings which I love that came from Kirkland department store and were probably painted by a machine). The rest are local artists or photos.

I also became the queen of decluttering when I moved to a 855 sq ft condo. Through the years I have helped many friends and family empty their homes so I knew what was involved. Now when I die it won’t be a big job for my kids. I have to say that I don’t miss anything I got rid of. I also overestimated what was going to fit and after moving in had to get rid of some furniture and decorations.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:59 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
People do what they want. Everything from making their home look like a staged house ready to sell, all the way to the extreme "you never know what's going on inside a house" Zillow-Gone-Wild type stuff. And on any point on that spectrum, there are people spending loads of money to do it, and those who do a cheapo version. It's all out there.

I've never much cared about fashions or trends, except insofar as I might select little bits here and there from various ones as they pass me by over the years and just add them to the buffet of what I like, and what I don't. I was talking to my Mom about window coverings the other day. Mentioned those wooden interior shutters and she said, "Oh those are going out for 2024! They are not in style anymore!" So look, earlier that day I had an older woman on Facebook asking what is fashionable for her age to wear and I was just like...why not whatever you want?? The young people are doing a whole lot of "whatever they want" these days. Not waiting for some big retailer's seasonal line to tell them what they like. I almost feel like even trying to be "in fashion" is almost a thing of older women trying to be cool or something, I don't know. So with this comment of my Mom's, stacking on top of the fashion query of the woman on Facebook, I said, "So Mom do people like, completely renovate and redecorate their houses every year, or what? I mean, I don't know anyone who does that. Who is doing that?" And she said, "Well, rich people do, and those who work with interior designers. And me!" (Her house smells like her 14 cats, so...)

People do what they want. Some of them do this thing. Some definitely don't.

Personally, my closest inspiration is something like Guillermo del Toro's house. There are pictures and videos online. It's sort of a museum dedicated to all of the stuff he loves. Mine would have less focus on horror and certainly none of the mannequins or wax figures or whatever...but I will never be a minimalist of any sort. I have a lot of stuff and I'm happy having a lot of stuff. But it's all sort of...curated. There is intention and composition. From how books and objects are placed just so on shelves, to how I arrange my framed art and wall decor. Which includes originals and prints, large and small...swords, sculptures, rock band memorabilia, and a ton of references to film and TV things that just really spoke to me. Princess Bride movie poster. Giant Vigo painting. That one picture of Nadja from the opening credits of "What We Do in the Shadows." It's a lot, but a ton of thought goes into the placement, color balancing, and arrangement of it.

It's what I love, so I do it. And I have never worried about what anyone else thought of it. There's only one way in which it is a little bit problematic...my house is not child friendly. But honestly, I am not very child friendly. I do have a few friends and family members I would otherwise want to visit me, and it's not easy to say "but your small child...yeah, that's a problem, I'm sorry." That is one good argument for minimalism. And yeah, I do really need to get a plan together for who is handling what when I die. I am aware of that. But I'm not really willing to sacrifice my ability to live as I wish, just because I could die at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating