Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 05:16 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,500,449 times

Advertisements

I had 2 yellow and orange kitchens when I was young, and chickens and hens were the decor in them. I also had each room painted a different color and was limited on what I could add to them. When I moved to a new, modern home in 2003 I wanted more modern decor. To this day I have beige walls and carpet and bring in color in whatever decor items I choose. My problem is when I love something enough to buy and decorate with it I don't get tired of it, so it is in place like forever. But I now am free to buy and add anything I want since I am no longer limited to one color per room. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 09:01 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
I'm laughing at this as my Aunts house looks like "Home Goods" had exploded in her house.
Word art everywhere, signs, all that crap, sickening, simply sickening.

Ugh, no, I don't want to read your walls and have it tell me to "live', "laugh", "eat", "home is where the heart is", and "fart"

I have a brain thank you very much.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:27 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I'm laughing at this as my Aunts house looks like "Home Goods" had exploded in her house.

Ugh, no, I don't want to read your walls and have it tell me to "live', "laugh", "eat", "home is where the heart is", and "fart"

Wow, I wouldn't have known I was in the laundry room without that big sign "Laundry". The washer and dryer, the dirty clothes in the basket, the clean clothes hanging to dry, none of that would have clued me in.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:38 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Her decor seems to have an affect on you.

My niece's house is the same, while not my aesthetic, it doesn't make me feel anything negative.

Her house gives her joy, and I'm happy for her.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-08-2024, 09:58 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
So much bitterness and anger here about other people's tastes. Never understood that.

And have to LOL at someone being "sickened" by wall art. I'm no fan of it, none of it exists in my house, but my constitution must be strong enough to withstand such a thing if I see it in the wild.

Last edited by rokuremote; 03-08-2024 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-08-2024, 04:57 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
I'd like to go full boho but....I'm too lazy.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:41 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley. View Post
i'd like to go full boho but....i'm too lazy.
lol

Old 03-09-2024, 05:11 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,546,655 times
Some people have a natural talent at curating and displaying, others not so much.

We are closer to minimalists, though we do display family photos. Eventually I may get involved in framing a collection of photos I’ve been saving for years and actually hang them on the walls. Mostly likely that will happen primarily in our study.

I like minimalism for a number of aesthetic reasons. For one, articles of personal significance, a family photo, a jar of shells from a vacation, a framed sport celebrity jersey, etc., stand out more in an open, uncluttered space with few or no others in the room. Sort of like a focal point.

Love Asian minimalism.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:22 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
So much bitterness and anger here about other people's tastes. Never understood that.

And have to LOL at someone being "sickened" by wall art. I'm no fan of it, none of it exists in my house, but my constitution must be strong enough to withstand such a thing if I see it in the wild.
It seems funny to me too. Everyone is different. But this thread is motivating me to finish a few decorating projects. I have a collection of my late Grandpa's pro golfing memorabilia that I'm going to put up by the basement bar area. And horrors, I got the big frames from Home Goods, hope no one notices and is sickened by that.

Old 03-09-2024, 09:00 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have noticed in general that the majority of individuals do not seem inclined to (or are afraid of?) of personalizing their living space through decor, especially on walls.

White "builders paint" walls will survive for years minus any artwork or via some manufactured object like catch phrase wall decals (cutesy quotes) or a random framed print chosen because it matches the sofa.

I guess my point is the lack of framed family photos including ancestors and accessories/objects with personal meaning like fine china pieces, vases, pottery, antique rugs and throws...the list goes on.

Is this all a victim of the ubiquitous "modern clean lines" movement?
Not me. I am an unapologetic maximalist. But all my walls will always be off white. Thats because I have more snit than Cracker Barrel on my walls. I have collected antiques and kitsch for over 50 years. I like it. Im keeping it. And I want it out where I can see it. Minimalists usually hyperventilate when they step inside.

I have 26 paintings in my dining room alone. Most are oils and prints from the 1800's. I only have 15 in the living room. The kitchen has old signs up to the ceiling and antique tins on top of the cabinets. Benefits of 12 foot ceilings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating