Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times

Advertisements

Haven't had ants in my room since 1999. The pest people sprayed and now they're baby ants everywhere ! What the hell is that! Even in the damn laptop !!!! I don't eat or drink in my room but they aren't even around normal things . They in things like my jewelry , or coins, books and plugs. I can't even find the source of them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Sounds like ghost ants or crazy ants. Try the terro ant bait. It'll take a little while.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Ok going to look into it . I woulda been better off not gettin professional pest control argh!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times
I highly doubt this is true, but I remember my mother telling me (decades ago) that she believed exterminators fed the bugs, instead of killing them. Your post brought that back to my mind.

Sorry this has happened. It must be very frustrating.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I highly doubt this is true, but I remember my mother telling me (decades ago) that she believed exterminators fed the bugs, instead of killing them. Your post brought that back to my mind.

Sorry this has happened. It must be very frustrating.
LOL! I wouldn't put it past some of the fly by night (pun intended) outfits. Exterminators commonly use pyrethrums, which cause insects that otherwise remain hidden to come out and scuttle about.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! I wouldn't put it past some of the fly by night (pun intended) outfits. Exterminators commonly use pyrethrums, which cause insects that otherwise remain hidden to come out and scuttle about.
^^^This is quite true. Insects unless directly hit will move from a treated area to an un-treated area. Then the whole process is started all over again. Just like if you get your whole house treated for termites and your neighbor doesn't, they just move next door.

OP for the ants there are several treatments you can use, Terro and Androv are two of the best. I've used Amdov and the worker ants carry the granules to the queen and then they all die. Inside the house I've used foggers that get into every nook and cranny along with using the Androv around the perimeter of the house outside, and that has always been 100% effective.
Whatever you use, read the labels first.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Haven't had ants in my room since 1999. The pest people sprayed and now they're baby ants everywhere ! What the hell is that! Even in the damn laptop !!!! I don't eat or drink in my room but they aren't even around normal things . They in things like my jewelry , or coins, books and plugs. I can't even find the source of them.
Call them back!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM

These are new exterminators . They bought my old guys contract . When I had the old ones we didn't have any bugs for years . But I see I have to cancel this contract and move to a company that won't sell their business without alerting me

Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
These are new exterminators . They bought my old guys contract . When I had the old ones we didn't have any bugs for years . But I see I have to cancel this contract and move to a company that won't sell their business without alerting me
As a small, independent pest control operator I often sold or gave away contracts because they were no longer profitable, mostly because of increased operating costs that could not be passed through to the client. In each and every case I mailed a letter which introduced the new operator, and sometimes even followed that up with a phone call. This made for a smooth transition for all parties.

However, there were two situations in which problems arose at a home: the new operator might be using different pest control products, and his tech might arrive a week or two after the normal due date of service. In each case, moreso in the latter, the homeowner might see more critters than usual, and even find them indoors.

As for finding ants in other-than-normal places, welcome to the club. Ants can be found on a desktop, scooping up scraps of snacks which were consumed in front of a laptop or a monitor. They can be found in a purse in the boudoir, attracted there by a piece of gum. They can be all over the kids' toys because of chocolatey smudges, and on jewelry which may have acquired a perfume scent.

I second the suggestion to use bait, although I'm not opposed to spot-treating inside a business or residence. While I don't see why you have to cancel your current contract, as I'm sure the company can resolve the problem to your satisfaction, I can understand how you feel.

One final comment: I only used pyrethrins or pyrethroids to flush out cockroaches or to locate carpenter ant nests. Their repellant nature made them impractical for most control procedures. When Cypermethrin was introduced in the eighties a friend used it to treat the exteriors of office buildings in a large complex, and the ensuing ant problems within the buildings lasted for months.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
This is too funny. My friend swears her exterminator comes by and plants spiders around her house before he calls to see if she wants to schedule another spray! HAHA!

I was the only one around who never had a service come out and regularly treat my house and I never had too many problems. Once we had an ant invasion, this was about 20 years ago, but my FIL was a retired chemist and whipped up something in his garage with some off market chemicals and sprayed the parameter of my house and it was taken care of. Starting a couple years ago I started getting a huge variety of spiders around my house. Big, beautiful, nice webs, even a lime green spider! When we came home and saw a black widow on wall by the front door I decided I was done with spiders and have had a regular service since. We found smaller, dead black widows in the garage after that and I knew I made the right choice. Wish I had some of those old chemicals now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House