Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times

Advertisements

OK- clearly engineering is not a part of your repertoire. As I stated in my initial post, lateral loads come into play. Remember that term.

If you go to the manufacturer's website and download the "Installation Manual" it not only gives you the spacing dimensions but it also includes/shows the type of hardware to use. The brackets are fastened to the deck with lag screws. Those lag screws are designed with a specific shear/pullout rating.

So, lets imagine you have a 12' section of deck you want that bench on. At 24" spacing you will have a total of 7 brackets. If you use 36" spacing, you would only have 5 brackets. Theoretically you have increased the "lateral load" potential by almost 50%. In other words, you have DECREASED the holding power of the lag bolts.

Have you ever seen what happens to nails, screws, bolts, that are installed in wood that is exposed to the elements- especially on a flat surface? They don't stay there very long.

With all of this in mind, now consider a full height backrest/barrier/guard that is code compliant (as I mentioned in my initial post), the higher the lateral force is applied to the backrest the higher the fail rate of the bolt holding power. Think of the guard as a lever. All of this is basically why you don't see deck builders using or building this type of seating anymore.

Of course you can improve the attachment by adding substructure under the decking and using through bolts made of SS- but its no guarantee against failure, which could ultimately result in injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 04:20 PM
#41 #41 started this thread

126 posts, read 256,053 times
I completely understood what you were saying. Your point about endangering lives is laughable. I was just asking if anyone thought increasing the brace span by 12" would be doable. Kinda like how kayaks say 200 pound limit but you see 250 pound guys in them with additional gear.
The absolute worse that would happen would be the wood would bow a bit well before any type of "injury" unless 30 neighbors came over and jumped up and down on it.

But thanks for your "engineering" lesson.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #41 View Post
I completely understood what you were saying. Your point about endangering lives is laughable. I was just asking if anyone thought increasing the brace span by 12" would be doable. Kinda like how kayaks say 200 pound limit but you see 250 pound guys in them with additional gear.
The absolute worse that would happen would be the wood would bow a bit well before any type of "injury" unless 30 neighbors came over and jumped up and down on it.

By that you clearly don't get it. Cie la vie!

Old 12-20-2015, 03:43 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,350 times
Just wrap some 2x4's around the outside of some 4x4 posts cut to the height that you want the bench, and slap some 2x6's across the top to run the length. I built that on a friend's deck that had a vertical rail, and we used long wood screws to secure the bench to the railing posts so the bench didn't move. You could seat an elephant on the bench we made.

Is it up to code? I don't know, but I do know most people watch their toddlers while they're outside. Don't let kids climb on the bench and jump over the sides. If someone fell over the railing of my friend's deck, there would be a whopping 4 foot drop. A kid can get hurt worse on a plastic playground set. Of course the engineers and like-minded people are going to act like mass murder will occur, but in reality, all that will happen is you enjoying a sturdy bench.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
...Of course the engineers and like-minded people are going to act like mass murder will occur, but in reality, all that will happen is you enjoying a sturdy bench.
When you perpetuate the present without understanding the process, past and future, you lead persons into a false-sense of security. Do you like making yourself libel- especially when admitting you know nothing of the code for this particular situation?

Old 12-20-2015, 08:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
When you perpetuate the present without understanding the process, past and future, you lead persons into a false-sense of security. Do you like making yourself libel- especially when admitting you know nothing of the code for this particular situation?
Some people don't live in an area where there are code regulations and/or people to enforce them.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Just wrap some 2x4's around the outside of some 4x4 posts cut to the height that you want the bench, and slap some 2x6's across the top to run the length. I built that on a friend's deck that had a vertical rail, and we used long wood screws to secure the bench to the railing posts so the bench didn't move. You could seat an elephant on the bench we made.

Is it up to code? I don't know, but I do know most people watch their toddlers while they're outside. Don't let kids climb on the bench and jump over the sides. If someone fell over the railing of my friend's deck, there would be a whopping 4 foot drop. A kid can get hurt worse on a plastic playground set. Of course the engineers and like-minded people are going to act like mass murder will occur, but in reality, all that will happen is you enjoying a sturdy bench.
Thanks.

I ended up getting the brackets in my original post. Got them all in place and have some of the wood set up. It'll be rainy the next few days and then it's christmas so hopefully finish up saturday or sunday. So far, I am extremely happy with the way it looks.

Either way, the brackets are nice. They make it a bit easier (for me).

And I know what you mean about engineers. I work with alot of them. You have to ignore about 75% of what they say but they do have their place.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:41 PM

Finally finished up with the bench yesterday. Just wanted to say for anyone that might want to use these brackets, they really worked out great.

Still have to figure out if i am going to put a small rail on the side that is a bit of a drop off or a short rail. Even thought about some kind of planter but that side doesn't get alot of sun.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #41 View Post
...You have to ignore about 75% of what they say...

Gotta love ignorant statements like this-
We would still be riding bicycles and crossing rivers with a ferry if the world followed this kind of thinking.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Gotta love ignorant statements like this-
Quote:
If you want to take you own life in your own hands that's fine. But why would you do that to someone else???

yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House