Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 01:28 PM

78 posts, read 93,845 times

Advertisements

How effective/useful are whole house suppressors that are installed at the panels? Or are they just make-work for electricians and are of marginal use? There seem to be a mix of views on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 01:47 PM

4,589 posts, read 5,720,314 times
Post No surge suppressor will protect against a direct lightning strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieGreene View Post
How effective/useful are whole house suppressors that are installed at the panels? Or are they just make-work for electricians and are of marginal use? There seem to be a mix of views on the internet.
How reliable/clean is your local electrical service?

Most use the same MOV technology as found in a power strip, just bigger and beefier.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
How reliable/clean is your local electrical service?
I don’t know how to evaluate that.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,828,345 times
Quote:
I don’t know how to evaluate that.
How frequently do you get dropouts (brief interruptions)?
How often do lights dim or flash a little bright?
If you have a computer UPS, how often do you hear it trip?
Do you have a history of small electrical devices and light bulbs failing prematurely?
How far out in the sticks are you - sub/urban, outskirts suburban, rural?

Those aren't absolutes, but generally if you haven't had any of those problems and are close in to the next level of the distribution grid, a whole-house protector won't do a lot of good. Most devices are fairly well protected and it's simple enough to plug TVs and other expensive, fixed gear into an individual protector.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:27 PM

I live in a pretty urbanized suburban area. I get a brief interruption, maybe once a week or two weeks. I heard my computer’s surge suppressor trip, maybe once? My light bulbs do seem to fail prematurely, but probably because they are mostly LEDs with poor quality control (some fail early, some have lasted years). They do dim occasionally whenever the furnaces or printer turns on.

I’m not worried about appliances that are connected to the surge suppressors, but for things such as washers, dryers, dishwashers, a/c, whole house humidifiers, etc. that aren’t on surge suppressors.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:42 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,828,345 times
Quote:
I’m not worried about appliances that are connected to the surge suppressors, but for things such as washers, dryers, dishwashers, a/c, whole house humidifiers, etc. that aren’t on surge suppressors.
Do neighbors report problems?

Whole-house units are oversold, I think. Go buy three or four really good local protectors - into light commercial grade, not what Best Buy has on sale - and put them on TVs, plug-in computers etc. Most big appliances are more immune/better protected, although control panels can be a little delicate.

The real destroyer is lightning, against which spike protectors are almost completely useless. Make sure your electrical service is as strike-protected as it can get, use those local protectors on delicate stuff, and move on.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:42 PM

517 posts, read 1,083,615 times
I do not like MOV surge suppressor strips at all, I consider them a fire hazard. I cannot tell you how many fire calls I have been to where the point of origin was a surge strip.

The risk from them comes from the way the MOV functions as a suppressor. When triggered by an overvoltage event they shunt the voltage to ground. An undesired side effect is sometimes the destruction of the MOV and smoke or fire that destroys the cheep plastic case igniting anything close by.

Of course overloaded plug strips also start fires so be safe when using them

Old 12-24-2018, 05:19 PM

4,589 posts, read 5,720,314 times
Exclamation Anything that has a MOV without a fuse or breaker is just a firestarter waiting to be lit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
I do not like MOV surge suppressor strips at all, I consider them a fire hazard. I cannot tell you how many fire calls I have been to where the point of origin was a surge strip. The risk from them comes from the way the MOV functions as a suppressor. When triggered by an overvoltage event they shunt the voltage to ground. An undesired side effect is sometimes the destruction of the MOV and smoke or fire that destroys the cheep plastic case igniting anything close by. Of course overloaded plug strips also start fires so be safe when using them
Thermal Runaway is fun, and is all the more reason to deploy one large whole-house surge suppressor in a metal casing!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Thermal Runaway is fun, and is all the more reason to deploy one large whole-house surge suppressor in a metal casing!
So I should get whole house surge suppressors? (I have two panels.)

Old 12-25-2018, 03:25 AM

11,124 posts, read 5,636,587 times
There's no more than one or two brief interruptions a year (that I actually notice) in our non-profit, public utility company's electrical service. A couple of clocks that need re-setting after an interruption, let me know when this has happened. Of course, there are other breaks in service, caused by wind and ice storms, but in almost 20 years, I've never suffered any damage caused by a surge, with no suppressors in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House