Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM

913 posts, read 4,344,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
That big game room window above is the limiting factor on how high they could raise the ridge on the porch roof.
correct. It could go up not higher than 2/12.

Quote:
I would be more concerned about whether, or not, that flashing at the wall is correct. The end of it next to the master windows looks odd in the picture.
Thanks for bringing this up. Here is the close-up. The (regular, not step-) flashing is there, underneath the hardi. I will however keep an eye on the game room window - if there is any moisture or water in future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 AM

344 posts, read 1,250,782 times
Are you adding gutters to the patio cover?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1 View Post
Are you adding gutters to the patio cover?
Yep. 5" gutters and 2x3 downspouts. Also French drain, probably all the way to the curb. Plus grading/leveling the site. Plus new sod (Zoysia (Z52) or Techturf perhaps, not sure yet).

"Perfectionism can carry any project to absurd." LOL

Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM

Patio update.
Tile is done. I will add a few more pieces of mosaic. Other than that it is ready.
Now the rest is on hold because the ceiling is mounted after the sun screens. And screens will take 2 more weeks to deliver and install.

Left:
- ceiling
- electrical and lights
- gutters
- insect/solar screen

Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,434 times
behtypa, what was the point of doing the patterned concrete earlier? Did you change your mind and decide to tile it?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
behtypa, what was the point of doing the patterned concrete earlier? Did you change your mind and decide to tile it?
Yes, I did not like how my contractor did it. It was not completely awful, but I have seen better (see pictures below).

I guess it did not turn out better because:
- a different, more liquid and finer concrete is used for patterned. They used regular.
- they probably used stamps with no lubrication. I guess some lube is needed to make sure stamps do not stick to fresh concrete. As a result the surface had some minor flaws. They called it "rustic". I called it "not enough experience". :-)
- I would rate the stamped as a 3 out of 5. Not completely bad, just could be a bit better.

I am still happy with my contractor.
1. The slab price was still lower than competitors. I did not loose anything.
2. The slab overall is well done, I wanted to redo just the surface.
3. To make me happy with the slab, my contractor has paid for tile labor. I am only paying for materials. It is an upgrade anyway. So I think it is fair.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
Yeah that looked rather bad, I don't blame you for tiling over it. What kind of tile did you use? Porcelain? It looks good. I want to tile (or stone) the patio at my new house.

When I had stamped and stained concrete done a few years back here's what it looked like:
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww239/RedlineJunkie_album/public/IMG_1421.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Yeah that looked rather bad, I don't blame you for tiling over it. What kind of tile did you use? Porcelain? It looks good. I want to tile (or stone) the patio at my new house.

When I had stamped and stained concrete done a few years back here's what it looked like:
It looks very good. I have got a few other quotes for a stamped concrete and it was significantly higher than what my contractor did for me. For the price difference I can afford tiles in a heart beat. :-)

I used porcelain, 18x18 in, 3/8 thick. Imported from Spain. V4 (PEI 4). The price was (drum-roll..) $1 a square foot (!!) (normally $3-4). I found this deal on craigslist. This flooring store on FM1960 is closing and they are selling tiles particularly cheap. There is another discount store nearby on FM1960 that sells similar for $1.40 or so. Still cheaper than retail. I can give you their info if needed.

I also bought V5 (PEI 5) from them - a commercial quality tile. I will use it in my garage.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
I am interested in this store if you can please. The garage tile also sound like an interesting concept and I am looking at epoxy right now. But tile may work very well, right? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
I also bought V5 (PEI 5) from them - a commercial quality tile. I will use it in my garage.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am interested in this store if you can please. The garage tile also sound like an interesting concept and I am looking at epoxy right now. But tile may work very well, right? Thanks
Porcelain tile is very strong, I bet it would work great for a garage floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston