Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 AM

114 posts, read 302,433 times

Advertisements

I believe Eagle patio covers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 AM

114 posts, read 302,433 times
Or Leo Garcia from Texas construction plus

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 AM

48 posts, read 86,791 times
Check my Private post

Old 04-07-2015, 01:12 PM

913 posts, read 4,350,790 times
OK, guys. Sorry if I respond to your PMs belatedly. I will try to answer your questions whenever I can.

Someone recently brought up a good issue: ROOF WATER TIGHTNESS if the pitch is LOW. This is the case with my patio, for example.

Here is by take:
IMO, it is a MUST to keep the roof shingles closed. No vents, no openings, unless you have a serious reason for it.
because with a low roof pitch, the roof does not evacuate rain water as fast as higher pitch roofs. So you would have a higher risk of roof flooding/roof damage/mold, etc.

To mitigate this, a person has suggested a Roof Leak Barrier (i.e. GAF Stormguard). You don't really have to cover an entire patio roof with it (especially since it is kinda expensive @ $80 per roll). But installing it in the valley, ridges and whenever there are MDF seams or weak points would be fine.

I did not install it. And there was no issues without it so far. But if I did it again, I would probably spend an extra $200-300. And again, the Stormguard is promarily needed for a LOW pitch roofs, where water stays longer.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 PM

913 posts, read 4,350,790 times
UPDATE:

10 years after I started the thread, here is a few comments in my initial design:

ISSUES OVER 10 YEARS

1. Motorized screens are still a good idea. They are very convenient and protect from mosquitoes and (partly) sun. However, the rails shift over time and require readjusting. Because the screens either sag or become too tense and do not move.

I have also replaced one motor, it fried. All this requires an access to motors. Plan to have a removable cover, so that you would not damage and replace a hardi-plank later.

Costs:
- to readjust rails - $400
- to replace Somphi motor - $500 motor + $400 labor
- to replace hardi plank - $200 (or DIY)

2. The slab edges are covered with plaster. They stood out 10 years (howah!) but gradually peeling off. Not much maintenance but requires to keep an eye.

3. Heavy rains flood some wires (above ground? inside the columns? not sure) that trips GFCI protection. Although it is not good, it is easy to fix bu resetting GFCI. However, I would use better conduits (aluminum hard pipe) instead of aluminum flex-tube conduit if budget allows. For both, above and under ground wiring.

4. Fan wings sag over time and break. Buy a few extra sets (!) to replace in the future. You may not fin the same fan model few years down the road. I had at least 6 wings broke over 10 years. (!!)

5. Fans and lamps break too. So buy an extra few if needed.

That is about it. Other than that no visible problems over the 10-year period.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 15,740 times
I really appreciate you for the post and especially for the 10 year update.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 147 times
Hi-

Thanks for the Information. we are planning to extend the patio and interested in this store if you can please share that will be helpful.

Also, do you mind sharing the contractor that you used for Patio.

Thanks,
Isas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston