Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 03:34 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times

Advertisements

TxDOT is apparently going to spend $1.7B to buy out the private operator of the 288 toll lanes. This is probably a good thing if it eventually results in lower tolls more in line with the rest of the system. I don't see the point if its still going to cost $13 from Pearland to the Medical Center. HCTRA and BCTRA should have built those lanes instead of some foreign company - I don't understand why this deal ever came about in the first place.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-19372016.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 03:42 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
TxDOT is apparently going to spend $1.7B to buy out the private operator of the 288 toll lanes. This is probably a good thing if it eventually results in lower tolls more in line with the rest of the system. I don't see the point if its still going to cost $13 from Pearland to the Medical Center. HCTRA and BCTRA should have built those lanes instead of some foreign company - I don't understand why this deal ever came about in the first place.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-19372016.php
Sounds smart for a change.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:31 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Why not just let the market decide instead of making all tax payers pay for it?

Old 03-29-2024, 07:35 PM

If we are losing money with this purchase … why is TXDOT buying it back?

https://abc13.com/amp/highway-288-to...ffic/14589604/

About eight years ago, TxDOT signed a contract with a private company called Blueridge Transportation Group that allowed them to build and run the toll lanes on 288.

The deal was supposed to be good for 50 years, but now, the state is going to pay that company $1.7 billion over the next few months for the lanes. That total is more than $600 million more than it cost to build and maintain, according to our partners at the Houston Chronicle.

Buying back the tollway, and creating a nonprofit corporation to oversee it could, in the long run, make the state money

Old 03-30-2024, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If we are losing money with this purchase … why is TXDOT buying it back?

https://abc13.com/amp/highway-288-to...ffic/14589604/

About eight years ago, TxDOT signed a contract with a private company called Blueridge Transportation Group that allowed them to build and run the toll lanes on 288.

The deal was supposed to be good for 50 years, but now, the state is going to pay that company $1.7 billion over the next few months for the lanes. That total is more than $600 million more than it cost to build and maintain, according to our partners at the Houston Chronicle.

Buying back the tollway, and creating a nonprofit corporation to oversee it could, in the long run, make the state money
Because the state can make money on tolls indefinitely. These types of private concessions on roads aren't allowed anymore, and for good reason. They were simply a way to finance road construction at a time when the state was relatively strapped for cash. That's not the case anymore, so they are righting a wrong that should have never happened in the first place.

I'm not a fan of toll roads in general and generally believe roads are one of the things taxes should pay for. With that said, if you have to have toll roads, low tolls are better than high ones.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:15 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Because the state can make money on tolls indefinitely. These types of private concessions on roads aren't allowed anymore, and for good reason. They were simply a way to finance road construction at a time when the state was relatively strapped for cash. That's not the case anymore, so they are righting a wrong that should have never happened in the first place.

I'm not a fan of toll roads in general and generally believe roads are one of the things taxes should pay for. With that said, if you have to have toll roads, low tolls are better than high ones.
The folks in Austin will never raise taxes enough to pay for roads. So, we get toll roads instead.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Isn’t that the idea of a toll road?
Let a private business build it and charge whatever they want to use it?

That’s what I’ve been told for years by republicans
But the moment that a toll road is not profitable, the private business is bailed out and tax payers are stuck with the bill “because it wasn’t profitable for them”

Old 03-31-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Isn’t that the idea of a toll road?
Let a private business build it and charge whatever they want to use it?

That’s what I’ve been told for years by republicans
But the moment that a toll road is not profitable, the private business is bailed out and tax payers are stuck with the bill “because it wasn’t profitable for them”
I think the distinction is that when the state or a local toll road authority like HCTRA builds a toll road, it's tolled to recoup the costs. When a private company builds a toll road, it's built to make a profit, hence the much higher tolls. I saw this in Virginia as well when a private company converted I-66 to a toll road for certain hours of the day. $40 tolls for a 10 mile stretch were not uncommon.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I think the distinction is that when the state or a local toll road authority like HCTRA builds a toll road, it's tolled to recoup the costs. When a private company builds a toll road, it's built to make a profit, hence the much higher tolls. I saw this in Virginia as well when a private company converted I-66 to a toll road for certain hours of the day. $40 tolls for a 10 mile stretch were not uncommon.
If a government agency is going to build the toll road
Why not just use tax dollars, it’s the same thing.

I don’t see them building toll roads for small towns
It’s always toll roads where millions of city commuters need to drive to work.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:03 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
The 288 tolls are so high its not worth it. Its not like the Beltway, Hardy, or Westpark which have more reasonable fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston