Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,291,008 times

Advertisements

The woman with the hose pipe must sleep in. I was by there one my way to work around 7:30 and after reading these post, I intentionally stopped in the road to look at the house. She didn't come out, nor did I see her lurking anywhere in the windows. My son is returning to H'ville and I was checking out a prospective rental property for him. Reading what is being stated here, I'm not sure I want him to move into this neighborhood. As a Marine, I'm not sure how much of her mess he would put up with.

Does she own the old tire shop property that faces Oakwood? What a shame she can't focus some of her energies on razing that junky, eyesore of a building, rather than harassing passersby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
The woman with the hose pipe must sleep in. I was by there one my way to work around 7:30 and after reading these post, I intentionally stopped in the road to look at the house. She didn't come out, nor did I see her lurking anywhere in the windows. My son is returning to H'ville and I was checking out a prospective rental property for him. Reading what is being stated here, I'm not sure I want him to move into this neighborhood. As a Marine, I'm not sure how much of her mess he would put up with.

Does she own the old tire shop property that faces Oakwood? What a shame she can't focus some of her energies on razing that junky, eyesore of a building, rather than harassing passersby.
You may not want your son to move that way anyway.

The tire place is owned by the same man that owns the house (the deeds are fairly recently '07,'08). I think the business had seen "better" days just a couple years back (a sign, customers on the lot), it could be closed down now. The lady could've come with the house

Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM

308 posts, read 527,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeofmercury View Post
I disagree with you, FAL.

"Leaving her alone" is one thing.

Innocently taking pictures of a unique and historic house is another, and I would hardly call it "harassment".

If someone were taking pictures of my house, which has nothing special or historic about it, I would naturally be suspicious, as would you if it were yours. But If I lived in a historic LANDMARK to the community that is also incredibly beautiful and unique in style, I, as a SANE person, would not mind because I would realize that people are only admiring my house. I would take it as a compliment instead of garnering hatred by throwing rocks at everybody who passes by. And for that matter -her house isn't the only house people take pictures of. There are hundreds of historic houses in this community people take pictures of because they are admired - nobody minds - except this one bitter woman.

Harassing innocent passers-by who want to take a picture of your house in admiration of it is crazy and out of touch... and defending people who do that is equally out of touch.

Come on - you think she doesn't KNOW people are just admiring her house? The only explanation would be that she is just incredibly bitter or highly paranoid or both.

If the lady owns the property across the street, stay off it. But there's no law, as far as I'm aware, that forbids people, in public domain, from taking pictures of historic houses - even if they are lived in.

For the sake of being legally right, stay off whatever property is hers - but the next time this woman starts harassing anyone, throwing rocks, spraying the hose, whatever, even just yelling or cursing at you or behaving in a threatening manner - make sure you are within your rights and then CALL THE POLICE AND WAIT FOR CONTACT THEM. This woman needs to be sent a message that she can't be terrorizing our community for merely admiring the house she lives in.
The very logical solution would be that anyone wishing to take pictures of HER house, should first ask polite her permission.
If she says NO, or chases you of the driveway, then you should know to leave her alone and not to take pictures.
Anytime I want to take a picture sof private property, be it a house or a car on their property, I will always first ask for the permission of the owner.
It is just logical courtesy.

And you want to send that woman a message ???????
Maybe the picture takers should be send a message that it realy goes on someones nerves if there are all the time some rude people taking pictures of her house and harrasing her.

So NO, I don't agree with you.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM

119 posts, read 233,407 times
This is BY FAR the most amusing thread i have seen!
Makes me want to go snap a picture of her home..or ask the neighbor if we could get a telescope and see whats going on in there!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNOVA View Post
This is BY FAR the most amusing thread i have seen!
Makes me want to go snap a picture of her home..or ask the neighbor if we could get a telescope and see whats going on in there!
and that's how probably 50% of the people snapping pictures heard about the lady-reading on C-D : "I was just passing by, seen the turrets from the street (usually wintertime when foliage is gone), came home, googled it and got on C-D. Hm, next time I grab a camera and snap a photo, maybe the lady will pose in front of the house too... with a hose or a broom" . People's accounts of this lady's behavior make the experience exciting, otherwise there are pictures of the house available on line (others must have taken the brunt before)

Old 03-29-2010, 11:31 PM

339 posts, read 1,167,157 times
Went by "the house" today - it breaks my heart to see the roof. I still hope that some day it will be open to the public.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 41,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post
The very logical solution would be that anyone wishing to take pictures of HER house, should first ask polite her permission.
If she says NO, or chases you of the driveway, then you should know to leave her alone and not to take pictures.
Anytime I want to take a picture sof private property, be it a house or a car on their property, I will always first ask for the permission of the owner.
It is just logical courtesy.

And you want to send that woman a message ???????
Maybe the picture takers should be send a message that it realy goes on someones nerves if there are all the time some rude people taking pictures of her house and harrasing her.

So NO, I don't agree with you.
"Logical courtesy" would be what most people would expect from the lady who lives there, i.e, not yelling at, or chasing with a hose, innocent people passing by who are admiring the house, who are not even on her property. But unfortunately, there is nothing logical or courteous about that kind of behavior. What logical/courteous person would act that way in such a situation? Or for that matter, what logical/courteous person would think that kind of behavior is defensible? Hm....

And considering that this is a unique situation, no, I don't think it would be logical at all to try to ask the lady if I could take a picture. Why?? Because to do so, I would have to get onto her property and knock on her door to ask - which would clearly **** her off because she has a number of "NO TRESPASSING" signs on the edge of her lawn. So no - that wouldn't work. She'd actually have to approach me - and the last time she did that, she chewed me out for looking at her house. In fact, she was taking pictures of me while I was just sitting at the stop sign, in my car, looking at her house. Wtf? Paranoid much?

So really - the logical thing to do is just drive by and if you admire the house, take a picture of it. Stay off her property and don't do anything illegal.

Also, since we're talking about what's logical and what's not - it's not logical to call random people occasionally taking pictures of the house "harassment" either. Harassment usually is an offense that is repeated over a period of time by a specific person or specific group of people. A random person passing by could not logically be accused of "harassment" because one day they passed by, admired the house, and took a picture of it.

The fact that many people do this, also cannot logically be considered harassment. Just because it happens frequently does not mean it is being done by the same people - and certainly there is no malicious or threatening intent in someone taking a picture of a historic house? Or do you somehow see malicious/threatening intent? Please, I'd like to hear your "logical" explanation.

I mean, if I were standing in front of her house with a camera, taunting her, yelling at her to come out and do a little dance so I could take a picture, throwing things at her window - that would be harassing. But this hasn't been going on. There's been nothing "rude" about random people innocently taking a picture of that unique and historic house. If you can't see that, I think you've got a problem.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,005 times
It may be in everyone's interest if she hosted a one time open house event. That will hopefully feed everyone's need to take photos and ask questions, while giving her the peace of mind that she won't have to deal with as many folks snapping pictures and stepping on her property through out the year.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,867 times
Yeah, it doesnt take a rocket scientist, shes hiding ALOT. History reports says it was just a regular mansion owned by a cotton growing guy..everybody else in the cities says it was an old slave house where they tortured and killed slaves. well kinda fits. cotton fields in 1886 where worked by slaves, so im pretty sure the home builder/original owner/cotton field owner..HAD SLAVES. My girl is somewhat psychic, i just say that becuase shes real sensitive to energies and can target its location, if its strong enough like the time we walked through Twinkenham (historical downtown huntsville) and we had an incident walking by this one home. But she wont go down that street or near it, claiming that the last time she did she felt so much anger and hate vibes from the house, and her first conclusion was old slave house, tortured and hurting and EXTREMELY angry spirits. Perfect haunted house setup. As a fellow Huntsvillian, i know how this city tries to bury its racial history by speaking light of its past, and immediatly diverting you to where they want you to focus on which is our space and military. Few even know that the grounds of Alabama A&M a predom afro-american school was built on land where they hung, burned, and buried slaves. When diggin to build the foundation they found some of the bodies and moved them to the now slave cemetary off wynn dr. by oakwood campus. But back to the issue. She knows something, and will go to the death to keep ppl away from discovering this houses HORRIBLE and true past. And yes, the spirits have probably deteriated her mind. It happens. But DEFINENTLY something is wrong with this house.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM

889 posts, read 2,399,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephisto256 View Post
Yeah, it doesnt take a rocket scientist, shes hiding ALOT. History reports says it was just a regular mansion owned by a cotton growing guy..everybody else in the cities says it was an old slave house where they tortured and killed slaves. well kinda fits. cotton fields in 1886 where worked by slaves, so im pretty sure the home builder/original owner/cotton field owner..HAD SLAVES. My girl is somewhat psychic, i just say that becuase shes real sensitive to energies and can target its location, if its strong enough like the time we walked through Twinkenham (historical downtown huntsville) and we had an incident walking by this one home. But she wont go down that street or near it, claiming that the last time she did she felt so much anger and hate vibes from the house, and her first conclusion was old slave house, tortured and hurting and EXTREMELY angry spirits. Perfect haunted house setup. As a fellow Huntsvillian, i know how this city tries to bury its racial history by speaking light of its past, and immediatly diverting you to where they want you to focus on which is our space and military. Few even know that the grounds of Alabama A&M a predom afro-american school was built on land where they hung, burned, and buried slaves. When diggin to build the foundation they found some of the bodies and moved them to the now slave cemetary off wynn dr. by oakwood campus. But back to the issue. She knows something, and will go to the death to keep ppl away from discovering this houses HORRIBLE and true past. And yes, the spirits have probably deteriated her mind. It happens. But DEFINENTLY something is wrong with this house.
My guess is your "girl" wasn't a History major. Thanks for your first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area