Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 03:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,888,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock90 View Post
...I am curious about your emphasis on recruiting by Fortune 50 companies...
Recruiting based on performance in national industry-based competitions. The winners of these competitions receive a cash award, national recognition, and their projects are presented in industry publications and web sites. It's nice when interested corporations send you their resumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock90 View Post
Yes, but the evidence is an anecdote, not data about the quality of the school program. Your child may be an outstanding performer who would have done very well anywhere...
I agree, but anecdotal evidence is still better than opinion. Opinions were stated suggesting JPII students are "sheltered" and have trouble when they have to "interact with others." Rather than present an opposing opinion, I chose to present factual data challenging that premise. I haven't posted anything to disparage other schools, I'm simply challenging those negative generalizations stated in this thread.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,271,943 times
I think everyone should make the best decision for their child, period. JPII is a wonderful school from those I know that attend it. One of my son's best friends is a senior there and has been there 4 years, and I completely disagree with the social aspect comment that was made earlier in this post. She has absolutely loved it, has participated in athletics, dances, proms, etc. She's had a wonderful experience, and she is most definitely a "social butterfly". She just wanted a smaller school environment which is why she made the move when she entered high school.

I also know too many kids to count who have exceeded at both James Clemens and Bob Jones. My son has two friends who are National Merit Scholars at JCHS. All our friends who have kids at both schools have no complaints and all those kids have great social life and are involved in various extracurriculars...from band, to athletics, to the arts.

We made the decision to move to private from the Madison schools because my son wanted a smaller private school environment and he is just the type of kid that really thrives there. Not that he struggled at JCHS....he just enjoys private school better. Some kids are like that. Socially, he became much more involved in school clubs, athletics and activities once he began private school. I even have a friend who had one son at Madison Academy that just graduated and his younger brother is in the Madison schools. Her older son just wanted and needed a smaller environment but their younger son is doing great in the Madison school he is in.

So make the decision based on your family and what is best for your individual child. When it comes to education, one size does not fit all. Some kids do better in private...some in public....and some are going to excel no matter where they are.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 AM

169 posts, read 206,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Recruiting based on performance in national industry-based competitions. The winners of these competitions receive a cash award, national recognition, and their projects are presented in industry publications and web sites. It's nice when interested corporations send you their resumes.
Well, that's pretty cool and impressive. Nice job by your child. No corporation has ever sent me its resume. Good stuff.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,794,084 times
As someone who went to to both private and public schools, I think a private school will prepare a kid better for the academic aspect of college no doubt.

However, I think public schools will do a better job preparing a student for the social life of college, because it did for me. Just my 1c.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
...However, I think public schools will do a better job preparing a student for the social life of college, because it did for me...
Based on what, the opinion of a single individual??? Qualifiers like "my opinion" or "because it did for me" don't validate the assertion that public schools better prepare an individual for college life. It's certainly absurd to think ALL public schools do a better job than ANY private schools in preparing students for "the social life of college," based on the opinions of a few individuals.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Based on what, the opinion of a single individual??? Qualifiers like "my opinion" or "because it did for me" don't validate the assertion that public schools better prepare an individual for college life. It's certainly absurd to think ALL public schools do a better job than ANY private schools in preparing students for "the social life of college," based on the opinions of a few individuals.

Isn't that what we are talking about here, anecdotal evidence? Someone could say that private school better prepared them and they wouldn't be any more right or wrong. 1 piece of anecdotal evidence isn't much of a statistic. Success stories all across the country for both private and public education.

For me, it was eye opening going from a school with kids of little social and cultural diversity to one with wildly varying social and cultural diversity.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Isn't that what we are talking about here, anecdotal evidence?...For me...
That's not anecdotal evidence - it's opinion. Opinions and "feelings" aren't evidence of anything more than personal choice.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
...For me, it was eye opening going from a school with kids of little social and cultural diversity to one with wildly varying social and cultural diversity.
Another generalization. Why do you think kids in private schools have little social and cultural diversity?????? My wife and I aren't from the US, so my child has traveled to several countries. I really don't think one should use their own limited life experiences to judge the capabilities of others.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Another generalization. Why do you think kids in private schools have little social and cultural diversity?????? My wife and I aren't from the US, so my child has traveled to several countries. I really don't think one should use their own limited life experiences to judge the capabilities of others.
And just because you son had those same limited life experiences we should use that? Its not any more right or wrong to use mine, yours, or anyone else's life experiences when absent any statistical analysis between these two specific schools. But I think you are missing my point. I'm talking specifically about the overall culture and social environment of a school. Your child has had those experiences in spite of going to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area