Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 PM

170 posts, read 140,184 times

Advertisements

I have not received any "ooops" stickers to date. Probably because nearly everything we put in recycling is, in fact, recyclable. I always check and make sure plastics have the recyclable logo, anything paper goes in, anything metal goes in. About the only metal that goes in are soda and soup cans, both of which are recyclable.

We do not put garbage in the can loose as they want for two reasons. First, I don't want a dirty smelly garbage can in the garage. Second, we have a garbage and recycling trash can in the house. This has to be taken out to the cart, and thus there is a disposable garbage bag for that purpose. So, they are getting bagged recyclables in the cart. They will have to learn to deal with garbage bags. Hasn't been a problem for years so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 06:46 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
RANA's position seems to be self-defeating. In the end, there is an alternative to the **customer**; which is not to recycle. I would rather see all of us recycle or try to recycle; however, an "oops sticker" and a service held until compliance is provided seems rather childish. This along with my previous rants/stated irritation on the removal of oil recycling and the hazardous household waste collection restricted to M-F 0800-1700 leads me to say, good grief.
I'm not sure an "oops" sticker is even a real thing. They drive up with an automated truck, grab the cart, dump the contents in the truck, then throw the cart down. I don't ever see them getting out and inspecting the contents and then issuing an "oops" sticker ... it's just too time consuming. I'm sure they sort the good from the bad at the recycling center.

That said - we are careful to only put acceptable things in the cart, and probably trash some things that are recyclable. We even wash them out as requested. I never thought I'd see the day when I washed my garbage ....

Old 12-13-2019, 04:13 PM

640 posts, read 696,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
My neighborhood has folks that overfill their recycle dumpster. These folks alway asks if they can add to someone's dumpster at the curb the night before recycling runs. I always have extra room.

I would think if you crush your cans and bottles this should not happen to most folks. Remember that you are now allowed to leave the caps on plastic bottles, so crush the bottles and leave the caps on.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 AM

I now get a ladder and actually climb into my bin and stomp the recycling down. This buys me another week or so.

They need to just come every 2 weeks. Problem solved.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 3,723 times
After missing three months in a row, due to travel and one 'that was today?!?', my wife has all but written off recycling.
I'm still trying to make it happen, but once a month doesn't cut it. Both for quantity and ability to be around to set it out on 'Der Tag'.
Really wish they'd do every two weeks, as that would be the best solution for us. An extra can won't help when you're on travel/vacation.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:04 AM

271 posts, read 293,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garndawg View Post
After missing three months in a row, due to travel and one 'that was today?!?', my wife has all but written off recycling.
I'm still trying to make it happen, but once a month doesn't cut it. Both for quantity and ability to be around to set it out on 'Der Tag'.
Really wish they'd do every two weeks, as that would be the best solution for us. An extra can won't help when you're on travel/vacation.

I was out of town a few days before October pickup...I simply set it out before left.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I was out of town a few days before October pickup...I simply set it out before left.

HOAs can get annoyed when you do this.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 3,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post

Not to mention that you're basically broadcasting that you're out of town to whoever drives by...

Old 12-19-2019, 05:29 AM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
Ask a neighbor to put it out for you or pay a neighborhood kid to do it.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:19 AM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Default Operation Christmas Cleanup

The Solid Waste Disposal Authority (SWDA) & the Recycling Alliance of North Alabama (RANA), along with Operation Green Team, City of Huntsville, the City of Madison, and Madison County announce Operation Christmas Clean Up.

Operation Christmas Clean Up provides residents two special off-site collection locations to assist residents with recycling/disposal of these items which tend to be in abundance after the holiday season.

We will be accepting Christmas Trees, Electronics and Cardboard.

EVENT: Operation Christmas Clean Up, a Recycling Collection Event

WHAT WILL BE ACCEPTED:
Christmas Trees
Cardboard
Electronics

WHEN: January 4, 2020
8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
BAD WEATHER ALTERNATIVE DATE: January 11, 2020

WHERE: TWO LOCATIONS:
Joe Davis Stadium, 3125 Leeman Ferry Road, Huntsville, AL 35801
Madison City Schools Stadium, 211 Celtic Drive, Madison, AL 35758
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area