Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 06:00 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontana_ View Post
There are a handful of videos on YouTube about pros and cons of Huntsville. #1 con was mosquitos and humidity. Iowa has mosquitos and humidity but not sure how it compares to Huntsville.
Humidity is no doubt worse here than in Iowa, and a lot worse than southern California. You'll often hear people say "95 degrees and 95% humidity". True, both of those occur - just not at the same time. It's hyperbole. Higher humidity, like anywhere else, happens at nighttime when temperatures are cooler.

You certainly wouldn't want to live here without air conditioning though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 07:25 PM

640 posts, read 698,097 times
Quote:
There are a handful of videos on YouTube about pros and cons of Huntsville. #1 con was mosquitos and humidity. Iowa has mosquitos and humidity but not sure how it compares to Huntsville.

Iowa is also at a higher latitude, so its hot summer days are a bit longer than in Alabama. HSV at 37.4 and CID at 41.9. For example on July 1st, CID's day is 45 minutes longer.

Not a huge difference to be sure.

5:37 AM
Thursday, July 1, 2021 (CDT)
Sunrise in Huntsville, AL
8:04 PM
Sunset in Huntsville, AL

5:35 AM
Sunrise in Cedar Rapids, IA
8:46 PM
Sunset in Cedar Rapids, IA

Old 01-15-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Iowa is also at a higher latitude, so its hot summer days are a bit longer than in Alabama. HSV at 37.4 and CID at 41.9. For example on July 1st, CID's day is 45 minutes longer.

Not a huge difference to be sure.

5:37 AM
Sunrise in Huntsville, AL
8:04 PM
Sunset in Huntsville, AL

5:35 AM
Sunrise in Cedar Rapids, IA
8:46 PM
Sunset in Cedar Rapids, IA

Huntsville's latitude is about 34.5 degrees (the Tennessee state line is 35 degrees).

Old 01-15-2021, 02:04 PM

11 posts, read 12,250 times
My dad used to talk about "90/90" days. Yeah those are brutal. At least in Huntsville there is a much milder winter than up north. Heat doesn't bother me, cold does.

We gave Phoenix strong consideration but their home prices are as high or higher than Inland CA. And they get brutal humidity in August with the monsoons.

Sunset times are quite noticeable for frequent travelers. Our weirdest was Panguitch, UT., which sits just on the Mountain side of the time zone line. July twilight is 10 pm.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:10 PM

640 posts, read 698,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Huntsville's latitude is about 34.5 degrees (the Tennessee state line is 35 degrees).

Oops typo, meant 34.7 from my google search. Thanks for correcting!

Old 01-15-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
My dad used to talk about "90/90" days. Yeah those are brutal. At least in Huntsville there is a much milder winter than up north. Heat doesn't bother me, cold does.

We gave Phoenix strong consideration but their home prices are as high or higher than Inland CA. And they get brutal humidity in August with the monsoons.

Sunset times are quite noticeable for frequent travelers. Our weirdest was Panguitch, UT., which sits just on the Mountain side of the time zone line. July twilight is 10 pm.
You will never see a day in Huntsville where the temperature is 90 degrees along with a humidity of 90%. That combination of heat and humidity yields a heat index of 122 F - it's never happened in Huntsville and never will (unless climate change really goes hog wild). Heat indices here rarely exceed 105, when they do you're into heat advisories, and at 110 into excessive heat warnings.

Super high heat indices do occur, in the 160s in some parts of the world, but not in the US.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:03 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
We gave Phoenix strong consideration but their home prices are as high or higher than Inland CA. And they get brutal humidity in August with the monsoons. .
Surprised that you did not give Tucson a serious consideration considering your employer. It's probably cooler and cheaper than Phoenix.

I visited a friend in Phoenix in one August. I arrived at 11pm and it was still over 100 degrees. We escaped into a sushi restaurant for a late dinner and some much needed AC, came back out around 1am and it was at 99 degrees.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:26 PM

11 posts, read 12,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Surprised that you did not give Tucson a serious consideration considering your employer. It's probably cooler and cheaper than Phoenix.

I visited a friend in Phoenix in one August. I arrived at 11pm and it was still over 100 degrees. We escaped into a sushi restaurant for a late dinner and some much needed AC, came back out around 1am and it was at 99 degrees.
Not really interested in Tucson, it has a different vibe. We also gave a lot of consideration to being Christian. Arizona is cool and all, and they have their percentage of Christians, but AZ is more of a libertarian conservative. It dawned on us that christian conservative is where we need to be, after the recent events and elections. AZ, TX and FL are purple. I'm in the 2nd half of my life now and I want to spend it around like minded folks. I look forward to visiting TN and enjoying places like Pigeon Forge.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:33 PM

148 posts, read 137,131 times
Quote:
Not really interested in Tucson, it has a different vibe. We also gave a lot of consideration to being Christian. Arizona is cool and all, and they have their percentage of Christians, but AZ is more of a libertarian conservative. It dawned on us that christian conservative is where we need to be, after the recent events and elections. AZ, TX and FL are purple. I'm in the 2nd half of my life now and I want to spend it around like minded folks. I look forward to visiting TN and enjoying places like Pigeon Forge.
Tucson makes Huntsville feel like Buffalo.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:03 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Understand. Just be aware. Huntsville makes a California Christian Conservative feels like a LIBERAL in comparison.

Using personal example, I consider myself as a Christian Conservative, pro-Christ, pro-guns, Rush Limbaugh follower, etc. But once I get to Huntsville and got involved in a church, I realized how much of my thinking was still influenced by California. Things like accepting others for who they are although I disagree with their faith, values, or sexual preferences. "Live and let live", etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area