Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 05:57 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTails View Post
Most of the homes in Madison under 250k are selling to cash buyers with no contingencies. It's insane. Another issue I'm seeing is that buyers lucky enough to get their financed (conventional, FHA, USDA, VA) offer accepted are seeing the appraisals come in significantly under asking.
Aren't appraisals based in large part on selling prices of comparable homes in the area? When will appraisals catch up with the true market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 07:05 PM

458 posts, read 617,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Aren't appraisals based in large part on selling prices of comparable homes in the area? When will appraisals catch up with the true market?
The only bids that seem to win anymore are ones where the appraisal contingency is waived. Which means the buyer has to cough up cash for any difference between the contract price and the appraisal. Many buyers are even waiving the inspection contingency which is insane to me.

Old 04-10-2021, 05:55 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
No, it's not true, and especially not true in Huntsville.

I believe in another post you said you'd like a few acres. That'll be had to find in Madison County, but if you do find it, it'll be well away from wherever you work in the aerospace/defense field. I have a relative that lives in NE Madison County almost to the Tennessee line, and she worked on the Arsenal before she retired. The 25 or so mile trip would take over an hour during rush hour - not LA or San Diego bad, but longer than I'd want to drive to and from work each day. The main problem is too many people trying to use roads that weren't designed to such traffic loads. They're trying to improve roads, but with limited funds (especially in this part of the state) and time constraints, it's hard to keep up with the somewhat rapid growth in the area.
For NW Madison county, once hwy 53 became 4 lanes thru Harvest, there is no hour drive, even from Ardmore or Taft in Limestone county let alone NW Madison county. There are many bailout roads even when there is a rush hour wreck. The new industrial park by the existing Toyota plant, Aerodyne and Facebook is a lot closer than Redstone too. Pulaski will likely need to become another 4 lane expansion. The “long commutes” are for houses west of county line road that try taking hwy 72 into town.

DC drivers recall a true hour’s drive...

Old 04-10-2021, 07:01 AM

294 posts, read 235,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTails View Post
The only bids that seem to win anymore are ones where the appraisal contingency is waived. Which means the buyer has to cough up cash for any difference between the contract price and the appraisal. Many buyers are even waiving the inspection contingency which is insane to me.
Yeah, that's exactly what we had to do last July (I did not, however, waive the inspection). And that was for a house with an acre outside city limits in Limestone County. it was crazy, there were multiple offers, we actually had to wait for one family to finish looking at it before we could get in to look, only a couple of days after it went on the market. Our agent recommended to waive the appraisal contingency, and believes that is why we won. Coughing up the difference wasn't so bad, as it was less that we had to pay when we sold our current house and paid off the new one.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:10 AM

59 posts, read 52,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Larry's Pistol & Pawn in Madison located on State Hwy 20 off the Greenbrier exit on 565. Best deal in town.

Madison | Larry's Pistol and Pawn
I saw a billboard for Larry's recently and it had "1,000s of guns and millions of rounds". made a mental note to get to Larry's!

Old 10-27-2021, 03:37 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruss575 View Post
I saw a billboard for Larry's recently and it had "1,000s of guns and millions of rounds". made a mental note to get to Larry's!
Great place, has become a tourist attraction. It is worth stopping and just looking even if you are not in the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area