Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 06:37 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Most of the news reports you hear are about Californians moving to Texas. Looks like they're moving to Alabama as well. Rocketdyne moved their headquarters here from California, but I think they may have been bought out by another company. The main thing Huntsville doesn't have is much of a SpaceX presence. I think they have a small business office but that's it best I can tell.
SpaceX's competitors have a presence here. Both of them have plans for manned space missions.

United Launch Alliance builds the Atlas V rocket in Decatur. It is being used for Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner.

Blue Origin builds the BE-4 and BE-3U rocket engines in Huntsville. Seven BE-4 engines will be used in the first stage of the New Glenn rocket. Two BE-3U engines will be used in the second stage of the New Glenn rocket. Like SpaceX it will land and reuse the first stage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 10:16 PM

458 posts, read 617,700 times
Quote:
Most of the news reports you hear are about Californians moving to Texas. Looks like they're moving to Alabama as well. Rocketdyne moved their headquarters here from California, but I think they may have been bought out by another company. The main thing Huntsville doesn't have is much of a SpaceX presence. I think they have a small business office but that's it best I can tell.
I think it'd be awesome if SpaceX moved into town but I doubt it'll happen. Elon cares more about efficiency whereas the "old space" companies seem to care more about spreading their presence into multiple congressional districts.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:58 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Baldwin County is growing like a weed, but I'm not sure why it's growing so fast. Is it retirees looking for a place near the coast? There doesn't seem to be a lot of industry there - just people. And they're not in the Mobile metro, which means that fewer than 25% of the workforce work in Mobile or Mobile County. I suppose a lot work in the service industry along the Gulf coast, but what do the rest of them do?
Its slightly more complicated than that.

Quote:
Under the current system—in which adjacent metropolitan and/or micropolitan statistical areas combine automatically if they have an employment interchange measure of 25 or more, while areas with an
interchange measure of less than 25 but at least 15 qualify with the support of local opinion
But to answer the bold ... in order;

1.Retail(12,801)
2. Healthcare(11,348)
3. Manufacturing (8,516)
4.Construction (7,722)
5. Hospitality/Entertainment/Accommodation (7,477)

These are like 2018 estimates.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:32 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,909 times
By “like 2018” do you mean they has been no job growth in these categories since 2018?

Old 05-20-2021, 10:44 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Quote:
Baldwin County is growing like a weed, but I'm not sure why it's growing so fast. Is it retirees looking for a place near the coast? There doesn't seem to be a lot of industry there - just people. And they're not in the Mobile metro, which means that fewer than 25% of the workforce work in Mobile or Mobile County. I suppose a lot work in the service industry along the Gulf coast, but what do the rest of them do?
Apparently even Baldwin county doesn’t know where they are #1 for migration or what RECENT industries are surging. Their commerce website has 2015-2020 estimates which should be finalize by now. Highest percentage was retail.

https://baldwineda.com/baldwin-by-the-numbers/

Old 05-20-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
By “like 2018” do you mean they has been no job growth in these categories since 2018?
No, more like the website I used had 2018 Census estimates. and while looking at that, I saw a tab for 2020, but it only went to 1 decimal place. so I just stuck with it. Sorry for not being clear.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Apparently even Baldwin county doesn’t know where they are #1 for migration or what RECENT industries are surging. Their commerce website has 2015-2020 estimates which should be finalize by now. Highest percentage was retail.

https://baldwineda.com/baldwin-by-the-numbers/
They do not believe in maintaining websites or upgrading them for that matter, lots of personal experience with this trying to find things, and then the website saying

" go to this physical address and ask for "john" for up-to-date information."

Old 05-20-2021, 12:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,222,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
They do not believe in maintaining websites or upgrading them for that matter, lots of personal experience with this trying to find things, and then the website saying

" go to this physical address and ask for "john" for up-to-date information."

Sounds about right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area