Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 07:18 PM

130 posts, read 105,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The owner needs to work on the lawn pictured in the link. The pride of ownership seems to be lacking.
I gave you rep points for that comment. That was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 07:29 PM

493 posts, read 712,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
Tudor homes are gorgeous and classy. They are very common in the Philadelphia suburbs- I have seen a lot of them in New England also but the homes you mentioned are not true Tudor homes-they are brick homes with Tudor accents.

This is what a "true" Tudor home in the Philadelphia suburbs looks like. The design and workmanship is much more intricate than the ones in those two subdivisions.

http://www.everyhome.com/blog/wp-con...7/09/jenk1.jpg

I understand the logic of the builders though- I am not sure there would be high demand for a true Tudor home in this market(yet) not to mention, they are expensive to build.
That all sounds about right to me. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Tudor homes are gorgeous and classy. They are very common in the Philadelphia suburbs- I have seen a lot of them in New England also but the homes you mentioned are not true Tudor homes-they are brick homes with Tudor accents.

This is what a "true" Tudor home in the Philadelphia suburbs looks like. The design and workmanship is much more intricate than the ones in those two subdivisions.

http://www.everyhome.com/blog/wp-con...7/09/jenk1.jpg

I understand the logic of the builders though- I am not sure there would be high demand for a true Tudor home in this market(yet) not to mention, they are expensive to build.
I'm NOT sure what I would call the style of the homes for The Summit at Monte Sano though. I made a typo in the post you quoted me on. I just edited it.

Old 09-05-2022, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
I'm NOT sure what I would call the style of the homes for The Summit at Monte Sano though. I made a typo in the post you quoted me on. I just edited it.
I would call it "modern duplex" homes. I have only been here for two months but I can already tell that developers here have to "water down" styles because people may not be ready yet for certain styles of homes.

The homes at Summit at Monte Sano are a watered-down version of a style that I see a lot now in Colorado mountain towns like Telluride, Aspen and Steamboat Springs, Jackson, WY built some of those right downtown- they are starting to show up in the Reno area and are very popular in California

In California, they are very popular in markets like LA, San Francisco, beach communities in Orange County like Manhattan Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach and Napa Valley- this is what they usually look like:

https://airrentalz.com/wp-content/up...04/Pic_220.jpg

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 09-05-2022 at 12:27 AM..

Old 09-05-2022, 12:36 AM

I watched the entire video where the developers had a Q&A section probably with the people who are trying to sue them now lol.

It is basically a bunch of old people with a lot of time on their hands worried about things that are just an inevitable result of the growth of this area. What do they expect? They want this area to grow and traffic to stay the same?

If you watch the video, you can almost tell who the guy is who probably decided to sue lol. I think a lot of it is ignorance, fear of change and a bit of that "they took er jorbs" mentality.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I would call it "modern duplex" homes. I have only been here for two months but I can already tell that developers here have to "water down" styles because people may not be ready yet for certain styles of homes.

The homes at Summit at Monte Sano are a watered-down version of a style that I see a lot now in Colorado mountain towns like Telluride, Aspen and Steamboat Springs, Jackson, WY built some of those right downtown- they are starting to show up in the Reno area and are very popular in California

In California, they are very popular in markets like LA, San Francisco, beach communities in Orange County like Manhattan Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach and Napa Valley- this is what they usually look like:

https://airrentalz.com/wp-content/up...04/Pic_220.jpg
They are definitely modern duplexes but the duplexes are only going to be on one side of the street in the Summit at Monte Sano. The other side of the street will have single family detached homes that are similar in style to the duplexes.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I watched the entire video where the developers had a Q&A section probably with the people who are trying to sue them now lol.

It is basically a bunch of old people with a lot of time on their hands worried about things that are just an inevitable result of the growth of this area. What do they expect? They want this area to grow and traffic to stay the same?

If you watch the video, you can almost tell who the guy is who probably decided to sue lol. I think a lot of it is ignorance, fear of change and a bit of that "they took er jorbs" mentality.
Apparently, they don't want this area to grow. I really don't think this new development being adjacent to their homes and connecting to their existing subdivision is going to lower their property values like they seem to think it will. I think that IF it affected their property values at all that it would increase them or stabilize them. It is going to be where phase two of their original subdivision would have been. If I was buying a house in a subdivision I would want to see all phases get built out and not left halfway unfinished. I know they said they are concerned about drainage but the city has a process in place for that. It was studied and discussed pretty extensively for this project.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:39 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:

I saw a car tire on the side of the highway about halfway between here and Birmingham- I tried to walk through the scenario where a person would think it is OK to do that- I could not get myself to even understand it because it does not make any sense.

Even if you do not find a immediate place to dispose of that tire, a "normal" person would put the tire in the trunk of their car or back of the pickup truck until they find a proper place to dispose of it.

My theory, it is probably a combination of ignorance, laziness, low self esteem and lack of pride.

Have you no imagination?

What is more likely has happened?

- An “ignorant” - according to you - guy makes a dangerous stop on the highway to dispose of the car tire …

OR

- “A normal person” - again according to you - had one tire fall out of the bed of his pick up truck or another truck transporting used tires?

I saw it happened in front of me - the tire jumped and bounced a few time - ending on the side of the road luckily. Completely in a different part of the country

Saw some tires which ended up in the middle of the lane too during car travels

It is an accident most likely.
Yet, you are back preaching “a lack of pride” in Alabama

It is like a broken record…

Old 09-05-2022, 08:25 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Took a quick look at the proposed homes, and I don't like (what I call) the ultra-modern design. That's not in and of itself reason to turn down the development, but I'd not buy one if I was in the market. The concepts seem totaly out of date to me, like something you'd find 50 years ago. Some may like them though, if for nothing else, the location. Building on the side of a steep slope has potential problems however.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Took a quick look at the proposed homes, and I don't like (what I call) the ultra-modern design. That's not in and of itself reason to turn down the development, but I'd not buy one if I was in the market. The concepts seem totaly out of date to me, like something you'd find 50 years ago. Some may like them though, if for nothing else, the location. Building on the side of a steep slope has potential problems however.

I disagree with the bolded statement, especially since the developer has experience building in Colorado-In places like Sedona, Arizona, all over Utah and Colorado, they build on the side of slopes all the time. I know this is an extreme example but this a home that was built in Telluride where he comes from. I have been to the top and it is pretty cool-what we have here in Huntsville are not even "real" mountains.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...size=750%2C395

I would not buy one of those homes either because that is a watered down version of a modern style. I understand the development's mindset though- it is extremely expensive to build the full version of those. In Jackson, Wyoming, a modern home with that style is often listed for $2 million minimum.

Even at the 500K price range, it would take a long time to find buyers-they are fully aware of what may or may not work in this market, these people are not amateurs, they have done their homework.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 09-05-2022 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area