Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 03:41 PM

13,095 posts, read 9,647,092 times

Advertisements

We were playing golf today at Sunset Landing, and I heard a fairly high-pitched sound coming from the 565. Looked up, and it was a motorcycle, speeding at what must have been around 100 mph, estimated on his speed relative to other traffic. And he was doing a wheelie the entire time we watched. Periodically, on 565 eastbound going into Huntsville, there is a similar motorcycle (perhaps the same one) winding in and out at a very high rate of speed, almost clipping cars. Is there no limit to stupidity? Where are the police when you'd like them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 08:39 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,132,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
We were playing golf today at Sunset Landing, and I heard a fairly high-pitched sound coming from the 565. Looked up, and it was a motorcycle, speeding at what must have been around 100 mph, estimated on his speed relative to other traffic. And he was doing a wheelie the entire time we watched. Periodically, on 565 eastbound going into Huntsville, there is a similar motorcycle (perhaps the same one) winding in and out at a very high rate of speed, almost clipping cars. Is there no limit to stupidity? Where are the police when you'd like them?
What you observed is called a squid. It is a acronym that means “speed quickly until I die”.

https://badasshelmetstore.com/motorc...efer-ride-way/

Riding style:

This is more of a defining trait. Squid riders generally tend to be rash and irresponsible while driving. They attempt stunts and wheelies in crowded traffic areas or on other roads despite having no expertise in the area. They will often attempt to overtake other riders, not even stopping at blind turns. On straight roads, they tend to accelerate to speeds that are over the permissible limits. Many squids often have no control over how they ride, eventually crash and then have their Squid Card forever.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:56 PM

130 posts, read 106,915 times
Quote:
I detest motorcycles and I have no problem saying it out loud. About 2 years ago, in Colorado, I was on I-70 West heading from the West suburbs of Denver towards the mountains, one of these idiots decided it was cool to go really fast around a section of I-70 that is a steep 7% grade full of sharp switchbacks near Evergreen, CO, needless to say, he crashed into the guardrail and is no longer with us- that caused a backup that lasted for 3 hours, some people are just not very bright.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 09-23-2022 at 09:04 PM..

Old 09-23-2022, 09:26 PM

23,647 posts, read 70,643,418 times
Quote:
It should be obvious by now that, no, there is no limit to stupidity. Why, I just gave thousands of dollars in charitable contributions this month to stop stupidity here on the forums!

Chasing one of those would end up being more dangerous to the public than letting one face plant a skid mark on the pavement.

The Dolphin Expressway in Miami was a favorite of such nuts. It would be bumper to bumper 15mph traffic and two or three would come roaring in between the lines of cars. More than once I was tempted to open my door (to hear better what the noise was, of course...).

Last winter, in the dark, one of them rounded a corner at speed and clipped my rear view mirror. It was fine, but I'm pretty sure his shoulder wasn't after that.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:04 PM

130 posts, read 106,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It should be obvious by now that, no, there is no limit to stupidity. Why, I just gave thousands of dollars in charitable contributions this month to stop stupidity here on the forums!

Chasing one of those would end up being more dangerous to the public than letting one face plant a skid mark on the pavement.
I-25 North between Denver and Fort Collins. I am driving in the furtherst right lane about to exit, suddenly I hear something zoom by- this idiot on a motorcycle decides to pass me on the right side going probably 100 mph inside my lane- Had I not been paying attention, or had I moved one inch to the right and not seen him, he would be six feet under.

I was so pissed off that I chased him for a good half a mile but then decided, it was not worth it. I would be surprised if he is still alive today.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 09-23-2022 at 10:39 PM..

Old 09-24-2022, 07:21 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,815,672 times
We have them come across Monte Sano in small groups, up from Governors Drive, across Monte Sano Blvd at really high speeds and then down Bankhead to slalom the curves.The daytime riders aren’t usually too bad but in the middle of the night they scream across. Just a few days ago one crashed in someone’s yard at like 1am, and this is not the first time it has happened in the last few years. The police say there isn’t anything they can do because by the time they get the call and get there, they are long gone. Also, even if they do see them they usually can’t catch them. I think about the only thing they could do is set periodic checkpoints at the bottom of Bankhead to deter them, but they will just move on to somewhere else until their scouts tell them the checkpoint isn’t there.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:23 AM

24,780 posts, read 11,150,461 times
Wheeeeee smack - here is your card! Police has no chance to catch them. And what if they do? It is often a dare. The good ones survive. The copy cats get their card.
On the other hand I have seen them go into rescue situations cars could not get into.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
What you observed is called a squid. It is a acronym that means “speed quickly until I die”.

https://badasshelmetstore.com/motorc...efer-ride-way/

Riding style:

This is more of a defining trait. Squid riders generally tend to be rash and irresponsible while driving. They attempt stunts and wheelies in crowded traffic areas or on other roads despite having no expertise in the area. They will often attempt to overtake other riders, not even stopping at blind turns. On straight roads, they tend to accelerate to speeds that are over the permissible limits. Many squids often have no control over how they ride, eventually crash and then have their Squid Card forever.
Yep, that was it exactly.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Wheeeeee smack - here is your card! Police has no chance to catch them. And what if they do? It is often a dare. The good ones survive. The copy cats get their card.
On the other hand I have seen them go into rescue situations cars could not get into.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. Even a high speed chase after a car is typically more dangerous than just leaving them alone, unless they've already committed an egregious crime like murder.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

The Dolphin Expressway in Miami was a favorite of such nuts. It would be bumper to bumper 15mph traffic and two or three would come roaring in between the lines of cars. More than once I was tempted to open my door (to hear better what the noise was, of course...).

Last winter, in the dark, one of them rounded a corner at speed and clipped my rear view mirror. It was fine, but I'm pretty sure his shoulder wasn't after that.
I think that's called "splitting traffic". I believe it's illegal in Alabama, but legal in California where, on the freeways, cars are sitting still as often as moving, with a yellowish-green haze hanging in the air. I suppose it makes sense there as long as the delta speed is within certain limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area