Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 PM

165 posts, read 508,753 times

Advertisements

Wow, I thought I was the only person around here who remembered Mugs Up. It was a drive-in type of place, like Sonic. It was next to the Krystal on North Parkway.

Here's another train of thought -- early '80s video arcades. At one time, Huntsville had about a dozen of them. The one I remember the most was in the building that had previously been the Brazelton sports car dealership. They carpeted the showroom, painted everything day-glo blue, and put the video games it. Had pool tables too, and a snack bar. It was pretty trippy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,314,299 times
My parents had some friends that lived on the hill just west of the Carriage Inn and it was said that they lived "in the country."

Does anyone know what school the current Annie Merts Center (Huntsville City Schools Main offices) was. Was it the original Huntsville High?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post

Does anyone know what school the current Annie Merts Center (Huntsville City Schools Main offices) was. Was it the original Huntsville High?
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Huntsville High has always been on the property where it is now (although the current building is not the original). The Merts Center was an elementary school, the name of which I've gone blank on.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
I'm pretty sure Huntsville High has always been on the property where it is now (although the current building is not the original).
"Due to growth in Huntsville in the 1920s, Huntsville High moved to a location on Randolph Avenue and White Street in 1927. This building served the high school until 1954, when a new building opened on Billie Watkins St. and Bob Jones [sic] Ave. This building served the school for 50 years, but also faced issues regarding the maintenance of the building. In response to this, the school board decided to construct a new building for the school on the current site, building on the space previously used as athletic fields. This new building, opened in 2004, provided a more traditional look for the school."

(I think they meant Bob Wallace avenue above.)

from

Huntsville High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some old photos of the original Huntsville High School in 1902 (used as a school in one form or another since 1822), 1927, and 1954

Huntsville in vintage postcards - Google Books

Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,704 times
Yep. The Annie Merts Center Building was originally Huntsville High. After HHS moved to Bob Wallace, that building became Huntsville Middle. Once the new HMS was built, the AMC was pretty much abandoned for several years. Then, after Stone Middle was burned down in 1984, AMC served as the home of Stone Middle for a couple years while Stone was rebuilt. I attended Stone at AMC for my 7th grade year. The paint was peeling off the walls and there were no kitchen facilities. Our food was shipped in from HMS. We had no place to have PE, so they would bus us to the regular campus for PE in the big field on Clinton Ave. Home Economics classes mainly consisted of us working class and projects kids strolling the streets of Twickenham and Old Town admiring houses we could never own.

Good times...

PS. Is Huntsville High's vice principal's name really "Barbara Devil?"

Old 09-27-2009, 12:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,220,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
My parents had some friends that lived on the hill just west of the Carriage Inn and it was said that they lived "in the country."
I remember when the Carriage Inn and Jordan Lane there was pretty much the edge of town. It really did use to be "the country" between Athens and Huntsville. I have a cousin out on Capshaw who once was out in the country, and I can remember walking down the middle of Capshaw Road undisturbed...

Now, his farm is absolutely surrounded...he has people in neighboring subdivisions who complain about the fertilizer, chemicals and tractor noise. He used to be polite and try to work with folks--now he just tells them he and his farm was there first, it was there when they moved in, and it'll be there after they move. If they persist, he tells them that becasue of them he is considering stopping growing cotton...and putting in a hog farm.

He did tell me he hates it, but none of his kids are interested in farming so when he retires, he'll sell it. But, he also says that thanks to all that growth, his place is worth more than it ever was!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 AM

173 posts, read 332,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Now, his farm is absolutely surrounded...he has people in neighboring subdivisions who complain about the fertilizer, chemicals and tractor noise. He used to be polite and try to work with folks--now he just tells them he and his farm was there first, it was there when they moved in, and it'll be there after they move. If they persist, he tells them that becasue of them he is considering stopping growing cotton...and putting in a hog farm.
A little like marriage, start trying to change everything after "I do".

Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,817 times
Milton Frank stadium construction started in 1962 and the facility opened in 1963. Before that, the property was usually cultivated for various reasons.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podadef View Post
Milton Frank stadium construction started in 1962 and the facility opened in 1963. Before that, the property was usually cultivated for various reasons.
What was it built for, primarily? High School Football? Something else?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What was it built for, primarily? High School Football? Something else?
It was intended to be a replacement for Goldman-Schiffman (or is it Goldsmith-Schiffman?) Field in northeast Huntsville. As it happened, they wound up using both fields for a time. I don't know if GS is still in use or not; it might be used for below-varsity sports. I haven't been over there in ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area