Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Uhh...GOOD! Put them in Zoos, keep them the F out of my backyard and away from my kids.

They aren't in your back yard though. They're in mine (occasionally) and we have no problems with them. Seriously...if the wildlife bothers people, why come here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 AM

464 posts, read 1,112,140 times
Misty,

I really don't have a problem with wolves. I have a problem with humans thinking they have a right to "re"introduce species that went extinct in an area. It serves no purpose...

I see coyotes and bears too - I have no inclination to go on a shooting spree. I just don't like the idea of humans forcing other humans to accept the reintroduction of something that was no longer part of the ecosystem, especially one that could eat human children or even adults!

I was also worked up over the "Bubba" slight. I have a brother who carries that nickname and I found the connotation use to be highly offensive. That really led me to a multiple comment diatribe for which I apologize to innocent bystanders for.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
They aren't in your back yard though. They're in mine (occasionally) and we have no problems with them. Seriously...if the wildlife bothers people, why come here?
One other thing. They may not be a major problem now, but you wait. It's been less than 15 years since they were reintroduced right? I watched a documentary on them a while back and the population has exploded. It would be a bit naive to not see that humans and wolves will clash more and more frequently in the coming years as the wolves move out of the national forests and into private property.

Who's rights are to be protected when that starts to happen? My money's on the wolves...at least that's how it would be out in my neck of the perverbial woods.

Rest assured, I can deal with wolves. I'm not worried about it. My point of contention lies with people forcing other people to accept certain actions even if those actions would cause those other people problems in the future. That's about as vague as I can be there.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
Quote:
Misty,

I really don't have a problem with wolves. I have a problem with humans thinking they have a right to "re"introduce species that went extinct in an area. It serves no purpose...

I see coyotes and bears too - I have no inclination to go on a shooting spree. I just don't like the idea of humans forcing other humans to accept the reintroduction of something that was no longer part of the ecosystem, especially one that could eat human children or even adults!

I was also worked up over the "Bubba" slight. I have a brother who carries that nickname and I found the connotation use to be highly offensive. That really led me to a multiple comment diatribe for which I apologize to innocent bystanders for.
I've argued my point on this ad nauseum in plent of threads here, Sac, but I believe that it does serve a purpose and so do many others, scientists, hunters, biologists among them.
I don;t believe the world should be tailored to fit what's most convenient for people, whether they're hunters, outfitters, ranchers or what have you. If people want convenience of life without predators, they should live elsewhere.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I've argued my point on this ad nauseum in plent of threads here, Sac, but I believe that it does serve a purpose and so do many others, scientists, hunters, biologists among them.
I don;t believe the world should be tailored to fit what's most convenient for people, whether they're hunters, outfitters, ranchers or what have you. If people want convenience of life without predators, they should live elsewhere.
I respect that view - I do. I'd like to learn about what makes this purpose so important to those people.

And as long as outfitters, ranchers, hunters, et al are allowed to kill these animals if they are on private property then I think that would maintain a healthy balance between the needs of the scientist/environmentalist types and the rest of us.

Forgive me, I just live and have lived in a place for so long where there is never an equal/healthy balance between the needs of two groups. It is ALWAYS one sided - it seems. Perhaps that is what makes me irate so often. One of my favorite songs is called "Crazy Train"...perhaps I am too quick to jump on that train at times.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM

You know, I have to be honest with myself too. I am so anti-anything California that whenever I see anything happening in Idaho that looks and smells like something they would do here in California I go crazy to destroy the idea. Even to the point of becoming totally irrational. lol

I've watched this state I used to love to go to hell in the last twenty years...now that love is associated with a state I've never been too - Idaho. Go figure. I'll try to tone it down a bit.

More honesty with myself tells me that I don't even give a damn about wolves - it was the principal of it all that was the driving force behind my rants. lol That and I despise certain viewpoints towards human activity that draws certain labels like that "Bubba" comment that really pissed me off...

Old 05-25-2010, 12:11 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,442,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
No joke.

I can't wait until they have to deal with a forest fire...
Whatever. I've dealt with plenty of fires in my time, and I'm not all that concerned with the Wolves unless they're doing something to me or mine..
I am new here, but from what I have heard and read bringing these wolves to Id. was a bad idea. I can have an opinion even if I am new here right?...

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM

674 posts, read 1,460,169 times
Quote:
Misty,

Maybe you should sit down and read the ESA.

Maybe you should also really consider where it is you are moving. You're moving to a state that is approximately 70% federal land. This is a state with some of the largest and most pristine wilderness in the US and perhaps the world. This is a state that respects its wild nature - and everything contained therein.

You also make a stink about natural processes and wolves no longer being part of an ecosystem and human management of that ecosystem, while at the same moaning about elk and other species that are also human managed that aren't even native to Idaho and wouldn't be here without human introduction, and then moan more about wolves posing a threat to your lifestyle here.

My god. It's all pretty nonsensical. Also, odds are you'll never see or experience a wolf in your lifetime. More importantly, we as humans better well begin to realize what endangered species really mean, especially species that are indicator species of other problems.

And, if you think wolves are a problem, wait until sage grouse get listed in the next few years. While that will probably have little effect on those up in NID, it will completely change the character of the Western United States. Completely.

As it's been said, if you don't like it go move to somewhere without potentially dangerous wildlife.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,230,522 times
Quote:
Misty,

I just don't like the idea of humans forcing other humans to accept the reintroduction of something that was no longer part of the ecosystem, especially one that could eat human children or even adults!
Sure, but what makes you special? I don't like the idea of humans forcing other humans to endure the eradication of other other animal species. You don't want to get eaten don't go to those places, stay all cudged up with those humans you love so much.

Honestly, the primary reason I carry a weapon is human animals. Well ok, and feral pigs if I'm in a state that has them. Disclaimer I am not in Idaho but am from Michigan which has similar issues and debates.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 30,441 times
Ya know SacTown, if you'd been here instead of California, you would have had an opportunity to air your views in all the multiple public hearings held around the state prior to re-introduction of wolves. You'll probably be disappointed to hear that wolves enjoyed wide and majority support at every single meeting held in Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho