Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
IAnyways, what is everyone's favorite plate? There are tons of them out there. My fav is the Lewis and Clark plate. The Riley Hospital plate is cool as well.
https://myweb.in.gov/BMV/mybmvportal...Coalition.aspx

https://myweb.in.gov/BMV/mybmvportal...ommission.aspx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I agree that the fee-free issue isn't right. There should be a charge, even if it goes to the state's general fund. Of course, if they did that, there would likely be some kind of lawsuit against it because then government would be supporting a religion. Since we have faith based initiative groups at both the state and federal level, maybe the IGWT plate should cost more and that money goes to this group?

OFBCI: Home

Anyways, what is everyone's favorite plate? There are tons of them out there. My fav is the Lewis and Clark plate. The Riley Hospital plate is cool as well.
Definitely IU and Colts, but I'm biased.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
IU! ND second.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM

75 posts, read 176,078 times
As a Cincinnatian, I see quite a lot of drivers from Indiana and it seems the IGWT plates outnumber the regular plates 2 to 1. Are they really that popular in Indiana, or is it just because Southeast Indiana is more rural and conservative than the rest of the state?

Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
As a Cincinnatian, I see quite a lot of drivers from Indiana and it seems the IGWT plates outnumber the regular plates 2 to 1. Are they really that popular in Indiana, or is it just because Southeast Indiana is more rural and conservative than the rest of the state?
When I got mine, I just thought that was the new plate design that everyone was supposed to get. I don't have a problem with it, but I didn't specifically choose it because I wanted to send a message or anything.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
Quote:
I think they are popular not necessarily because of religious reasons. Some here have said the basic state plate is neat. We will just have to agree to disagree. The basic plate is boring. A one color plate, with a symbol that is really doesn't do much for Indiana. If you want to see what a cool basic plate looks like, check out the Wyoming plate from 2000-2008. They have a cowboy and Devil's Tower in the backdrop.

I have a current basic plate, and the only reason I have this is because I really don't care for the IGWT plate, and I am too cheap to pay for any of the special plates. However, if this state ever adopts a basic plate that has anything to do with basketball, I will gladly fork over the money for a Lewis and Clark plate, and if I am still too cheap, I will go with the IGWT plate.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,319 times
Quote:
It might be because it is more rural down south. I would say in Central and Northern Indiana it seems to be about 50/50 between the two plates.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
I think it's pretty obvious which plate I liked the most, but the greenways plate was also nice.
Quote:
I think that the conservatism is a factor, which, in my mind, is why the plate was created in the first place. Hence, you will see fewer God plates in less conservative areas.

Blue plates seem to be much more numerous than God plates in Indianapolis (at least on the north side). In Fort Wayne, I saw God plates more often.

I've noticed that cars from Lake County rarely have God plates.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
Personally, I think the God plates are in poor taste. I prefer the utilitarian look of the blue plates, with a simple identifiable emblem.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM

75 posts, read 176,078 times
My personal view is that the plain blue plates look classy. The IGWT plates seem a little pretentious to me. It's cool that you believe in God, but is it necessary to announce it to the world? That said, I'm not sure any state can beat Ohio's new plates for sheer ugliness. It looks like a cartoon barn sitting next to a rather dark and menacing city. Far too busy for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana