Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 PM

512 posts, read 861,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
sorry ... my comment about leaving the state was in reference to CleoT's status quo statement about us just taking what the state leg is forcing down our throats. I stand by my brothers and sisters in the Wisconsin statehouse ... stay in Illinois!!!! I remember when Texas did this ...

I'll go ahead and say that Indiana will never ever ever ever ever ever recognize same sex unions EVER. I can live with it .. don't like it, but I can live with it. But this anti-choice malarky is truly insane.

But it does look like the arizona style immigration law is going to be ripped to shreds, by the GOP.
I never said or insinuated that! Reread my post and open your mind a little further. I was stating how lucky we were that we have freedoms such as picking up a moving to another state.

States have rights for a reason. At least they used to until the federal governement stepped in and began taking certain rights away. This uniqueness we have is what I was referring to, so you and others jumping on me for what you thought I meant is incalled for.

Geesh, this is why I hardly post. People can't have reasonable debates without being divided and conquered by both freaking sides!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:50 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
I'll tell you what's interesting. I posed a question about issues being black and white, which is a better debate than "the other guys are stupid hicks" and this is what you and others jump on. Interesting.
No, I did not. Now who is the one struggling to have a civil debate?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
No, I did not. Now who is the one struggling to have a civil debate?
You twisted what I said. I'm defending myself. This thread isn't about me, it's about debating the bills. Do you agree?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
You twisted what I said. I'm defending myself. This thread isn't about me, it's about debating the bills. Do you agree?
It is, and you offered no opinion, just that I was putting words in your mouth.

So, why bother at this point?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is, and you offered no opinion, just that I was putting words in your mouth.

So, why bother at this point?
Initially I did offer up an opinon.

I believe these proposed bills will not keep a diverse and educated workforce away. Just because people have certain beliefs doesn't mean they aren't non diverse and uneducated. Life isn't that black and white. I posed it as a question to keep up the debate, not cause people to put me in a nifty little compartment.

I've lived in other states and I can tell you, other than some areas on both coasts, we are more conservative, but you'd be surprised at how diverse and educated Indiana workers are. Yes, many Indiana graduates leave the state, but my husband and I are two of a vast majority who find their way back and bring with them the knowledge and expertise to help make Indiana a better place.

Lot of the cities/states that are compared to IN are having a LOT of political and financial problems right now. I think Indiana looks pretty good, but I wouldn't move to, say, California and push them to be what I want them to be. However, if I felt a connection to Californians and the way they live, I'd certainly be looking for jobs out there. That's all I was trying to say.

Try not to overlook someone because they don't believe a certain way. Most people in this country refuse to fit any group's mold, and I think people are starting to wake up to that.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:05 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I would never tell anyone to "exercise my freedom" and leave the state because of the politics of Indiana ... potatos, potahtos Cleo ... you're telling people to get out if they don't like it.

I loved what Rep Jackie Speiers said to my pelletheaded representative yesterday. Kudos to her!!! I'll echo the same sentiments ... how is this ultra conservative social legislation going to get Hoosiers back to work ... Cleo? Any answers to that???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2gylhdXRA

update ... hey Cleo! You should be very happy! that STUPID Pence amendment passed the house!

Last edited by domergurl; 02-18-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I would never tell anyone to "exercise my freedom" and leave the state because of the politics of Indiana ... potatos, potahtos Cleo ... you're telling people to get out if they don't like it.

I loved what Rep Jackie Speiers said to my pelletheaded representative yesterday. Kudos to her!!! I'll echo the same sentiments ... how is this ultra conservative social legislation going to get Hoosiers back to work ... Cleo? Any answers to that???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2gylhdXRA

update ... hey Cleo! You should be very happy! that STUPID Pence amendment passed the house!
How will Cap and Trade get people back to work? How will trillion + dollar deficits get people back to work? How will higher taxes get people back to work? How will Obamacare get people back to work? How will more regulations get people back to work? How will Card Check get people back to work?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:45 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
I thought this was supposed to be a discussion of statehouse issues?

Anyway, I'll try to diffuse this with something I posted on Facebook the other day -- We cannot tax our way to prosperity, but we cannot cut our way to prosperity either.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Initially I did offer up an opinon.

I believe these proposed bills will not keep a diverse and educated workforce away. Just because people have certain beliefs doesn't mean they aren't non diverse and uneducated. Life isn't that black and white. I posed it as a question to keep up the debate, not cause people to put me in a nifty little compartment.

I've lived in other states and I can tell you, other than some areas on both coasts, we are more conservative, but you'd be surprised at how diverse and educated Indiana workers are. Yes, many Indiana graduates leave the state, but my husband and I are two of a vast majority who find their way back and bring with them the knowledge and expertise to help make Indiana a better place.

Lot of the cities/states that are compared to IN are having a LOT of political and financial problems right now. I think Indiana looks pretty good, but I wouldn't move to, say, California and push them to be what I want them to be. However, if I felt a connection to Californians and the way they live, I'd certainly be looking for jobs out there. That's all I was trying to say.

Try not to overlook someone because they don't believe a certain way. Most people in this country refuse to fit any group's mold, and I think people are starting to wake up to that.
Of course this is not going to keep people away. We're in the midst of an economic depression, with prices going up and up. It's hard to get the exact numbers but, if you took 1 - [(people working/people able to work)], the real UE rate is probably 25%. People will relocate here for work, as they'll relocate wherever else they need to go.

If people think repealing the 2nd amendment while allowing gay marriage and killing unborn children is 'forward thinking,' let them think that and live elsewhere. Look at the 'progressive' philosophy: it's anything but. It's completely regressive. Imagine what life would be like if progressives got cart blanche. Taxes would be, what, 95%??

Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Of course this is not going to keep people away. We're in the midst of an economic depression, with prices going up and up. It's hard to get the exact numbers but, if you took 1 - [(people working/people able to work)], the real UE rate is probably 25%. People will relocate here for work, as they'll relocate wherever else they need to go.

If people think repealing the 2nd amendment while allowing gay marriage and killing unborn children is 'forward thinking,' let them think that and live elsewhere. Look at the 'progressive' philosophy: it's anything but. It's completely regressive. Imagine what life would be like if progressives got cart blanche. Taxes would be, what, 95%??
Give me one good reason why we need to add an amendment to the constitution banning gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana