Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM

898 posts, read 938,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Pence will declare jihad.
That's too bad. Even if these individuals aren't personally against it, the lengths they're willing to go to cater to the radicals in their respective parties is pretty troubling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,679,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnail View Post
I certainly don't care what you do, but if you're legally married, you can legally adopt......and I am firmly set against Homosexuals raising children. Life is confusing enough for children, without a childhood of controversy
Right, because heterosexuals NEVER screw up their kids...oh brother!

I'm willing to bet the US prision system is at least 97% full of inmates raised by straight parents.

Its the QUALITY of parenting that matters.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 PM

459 posts, read 485,669 times
All I can say upon reading the comments by Johnnail and Bideshi is that, in 15 or 20 years, they will likely look back upon these comments with regret and/or revulsion. Just as even the most racist of Southerners looked back on the comments they made about Civil Rights and interracial marriage back in the 60s or early 70s must have looked at their own comments decades later.

It's also of little importance; the demographic winds of approval have already shifted beyond the point of no return. Pence and his lot will lose, whether now or in five years. And our society is all the better for it.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:11 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,275,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
All I can say upon reading the comments by Johnnail and Bideshi is that, in 15 or 20 years, they will likely look back upon these comments with regret and/or revulsion. Just as even the most racist of Southerners looked back on the comments they made about Civil Rights and interracial marriage back in the 60s or early 70s must have looked at their own comments decades later.

It's also of little importance; the demographic winds of approval have already shifted beyond the point of no return. Pence and his lot will lose, whether now or in five years. And our society is all the better for it.
Or they will still be that way and the rest of us will just look at them as crazy, old coots.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:16 PM

934 posts, read 1,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Well, governor Pence is saying that marriages preformed legally in Indiana will not be recognized and will treated as if they never happened. Any bets the state doesn't refund these people's money, either?

Indiana agencies told to ignore gay marriages - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
I heard about that today. Thanks a lot Pence. I'm sure the $ will go to new roads....

Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM

136 posts, read 241,571 times
I think the states should be able to decide these issues for themselves, via vote. To my knowledge, every state that has been given a chance to vote on gay marriage has voted against it. Having lived in Indiana for one year of my life, I know for a fact that outside of segments of the state like Indiana University and Indianapolis, the vast majority of the state is heavily religious and would not support such a declaration.

I personally don't support gay marriage for more reasons than my own personal beliefs, but I'm not in the mood to get into argument again. I know from experience they never end and only irritate both parties. The fact of the matter is, we have far, far more important issues to deal with than gay marriage. Issues that affect 100% of the nation, not just 1 to 3 percent of people, depending on which figures you believe.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,367,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
Having lived in Indiana for one year of my life, I know for a fact that outside of segments of the state like Indiana University and Indianapolis, the vast majority of the state is heavily religious and would not support such a declaration.
Wow--one year and you are an expert on the opinions of all Hoosiers--amazing powers of insight and intellect.

Get your facts straight. Last fall poll after poll after poll showed the majority of Hoosiers, well over 50% and statistically significant, opposed putting a gay marriage ban into the Constitution. The ONLY poll that differed was one conducted by Republicans earlier this year. Statistically that poll was so different from all others that I read the questions. Having a bit of a background in how to write an unbiased poll, I can state that it was not unbiased. It was the usual Republican poll of asking questions, and using the responses in such a way that they got the answers they wanted.

Regarding support for gay marriage. Nationwide over 50% of all people support gay marriage with those numbers increasing steadily. In the midwest the figures approach 68%. In Indiana roughly 52-53% more support than oppose. Because real poll takers realize and account for error, in Indiana opinion might be about even, but support for gay marriage continues to grow around the state.

Oh yeah, I do live in that segment of the state that is home to IU, but I am not affiliated with the university other than being the parent of a student, a recent graduate and being an alum myself.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:05 PM

136 posts, read 241,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Wow--one year and you are an expert on the opinions of all Hoosiers--amazing powers of insight and intellect.

Get your facts straight. Last fall poll after poll after poll showed the majority of Hoosiers, well over 50% and statistically significant, opposed putting a gay marriage ban into the Constitution. The ONLY poll that differed was one conducted by Republicans earlier this year. Statistically that poll was so different from all others that I read the questions. Having a bit of a background in how to write an unbiased poll, I can state that it was not unbiased. It was the usual Republican poll of asking questions, and using the responses in such a way that they got the answers they wanted.

Regarding support for gay marriage. Nationwide over 50% of all people support gay marriage with those numbers increasing steadily. In the midwest the figures approach 68%. In Indiana roughly 52-53% more support than oppose. Because real poll takers realize and account for error, in Indiana opinion might be about even, but support for gay marriage continues to grow around the state.

Oh yeah, I do live in that segment of the state that is home to IU, but I am not affiliated with the university other than being the parent of a student, a recent graduate and being an alum myself.
The only poll that matters is the one that is conducted entirely in private. Even if you call a homeowner anonymously to poll their stance in gay marriage, many will feel obligated to say they support it because it's politically correct. Whenever the issue has reached the polls, the people have rejected it.

Polls are not accurate measurements IMO, I never give them much validity.

EDIT) It doesn't matter if you're affiliated with the University. There are an overwhelming amount of IU grads living in Bloomington. Liberals are drawn to Indiana University because many of the degrees they offer are generally attractive to left-leaning minds. Purdue for instance, is an engineering school and attracts more conservatives. Liberals gravitate towards english and communication degrees, in which IU thrives.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:51 PM

76 posts, read 144,297 times
Quote:
Having lived in Indiana for one year of my life, I know for a fact that outside of segments of the state like Indiana University and Indianapolis, the vast majority of the state is heavily religious and would not support such a declaration.
Um....did you forget about the state's second largest metropolitan area in Northwest Indiana and the evolving nature of Evansville, IN? These are two highly moderate areas of the state. Like other posters have said, the perceptions of many Hoosiers are changing on this issue.

Northwest Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Evansville, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 PM

934 posts, read 1,443,621 times
Quote:
I personally don't support gay marriage for more reasons than my own personal beliefs, but I'm not in the mood to get into argument again. I know from experience they never end and only irritate both parties. The fact of the matter is, we have far, far more important issues to deal with than gay marriage. Issues that affect 100% of the nation, not just 1 to 3 percent of people, depending on which figures you believe.
Understandable, but one of the goals of a democracy should be equality among its citizens; this way everybody can focus on larger issues rather than fighting for individual rights which should be allowed to every law-abiding, tax-paying citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana