Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:39 AM

18 posts, read 86,029 times

Advertisements

Southside, Your very right about hispanics in our community. They are a very welcomed addition to our city.

I was responding to the comment regarding Illegal Aliens being a hardship on our community. Because it doesn't exist. There are a few bad apples, but, with any community or any race there are always a few.

For the most part, the Latino population, which is about 3% of our population, is very law biding, honest, hardworking productive citizens. I wish we had more like them.

Their culture has been introduced to our city and is thriveing within their many businesses.

I remember the TV 18 story on the Hispanic population in Indiana, This is something we contacted the station about. We wanted to showcase our diversity as a community.

There are a few people you could find, that will be more than happy to talk about the Hispanic population in a negative light. But, these people base their beliefs more on bigotry rather than facts.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,156,725 times
Kado
areas grow, develop and change in composition and texture. For example, I remember when there were few Asians in West Lafayette/Lafayette except for the Asian students attending Purdue. After the addition of the SIA plant here, all that changed.

and yes, we also have a growing percentage of Hispanics in the community with Wabash National Corp. employing many of them.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:41 AM

What would your asessment be for Lafayette regarding the Hispanic Population. Every community is different and we are lucky to have a successful integration with different cultures....but many communities have not been so lucky.

With your city being a college town, I bet a diverse mixture of people and cultures are more tolerated than most. With Logansport being only 20 thousand people, I thought we would have had a tuffer time with being open minded. I see the opposite of that here, surprisingly enough most people are very accepting and tolerant. And I have to admit the local law enforcement is very strict with the illegal immigrants, and they are few and far between.

Our hispanic population is well into their second generation here, so there is no language barriers, and that has to help.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado Downs View Post
What would your asessment be for Lafayette regarding the Hispanic Population. Every community is different and we are lucky to have a successful integration with different cultures....but many communities have not been so lucky.

With your city being a college town, I bet a diverse mixture of people and cultures are more tolerated than most. With Logansport being only 20 thousand people, I thought we would have had a tuffer time with being open minded. I see the opposite of that here, surprisingly enough most people are very accepting and tolerant. And I have to admit the local law enforcement is very strict with the illegal immigrants, and they are few and far between.

Our hispanic population is well into their second generation here, so there is no language barriers, and that has to help.
I would say that most of the Mexicans/Hispanics here can speak English but there are also those who cannot.

as for your question about integration, it would appear that many tend to stick together and form groups even in schools. Harrison High School in West Lafayette has had some problems and there have also been some at Lafayette Jeff. Obviously there is still much work to do in the area of mutual tolerance, trust and understanding.

it is true that Purdue University has helped to make West Lafayette/Lafayette much more culturally diverse. this is apparent when you walk into most malls, stores and supermarkets.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-20-2007 at 12:28 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,746,092 times
Kado, its nice to hear good things about Logansport. My Great-Grandmother was born & raised there. My family's roots in the area go back to the mid 1800's. I've been there a few times in the last few years, and her house is still there on Cicott Street.

I've got a lot of fond memories of spending summers with her. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Glad to here from you, if I may ask, what's your family's name? It would be interesting to know.

How long has it been since you were last in Logan? The city is going through positive changes within the last few years and there has been huge strides with protecting our historic structures and increasing the quality of life.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,198 times
Default A great place Logansport

Hello all: I have never done this before, but was surfing the net and saw this about our town. I am sure that you will say this guy is biased, but I guess I am. As I read though some of the links, starting with the person who wanted to come to our community and was interested in "bankers row" I say you are missing something! The homes that you are talking about are beautiful, I have been lucky to have been in them. If you want to talk about our community and the jobs, which the listing of local employers was taken from our website, I would be happy to. You can call my office at 574-722-5988 and as for "Skip" or Judi and we would be happy to help. Better yet go to www.ledf.com and look at our community. This blog would not have enough space for me to tell you about how good a place we live, and I am not a native, I moved here 15 years ago and I have not left. I would be more than happy to show you around our community and introduce you to a good place to grow. I will try to watch this blog and add my comments and also see watch what has been posted to add the truth or another thought to what has been posted. Again you can contact me directly at the phone number or e mail skip@ledf.com

Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,746,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado Downs View Post
Glad to here from you, if I may ask, what's your family's name? It would be interesting to know.

How long has it been since you were last in Logan? The city is going through positive changes within the last few years and there has been huge strides with protecting our historic structures and increasing the quality of life.

Her maiden name is Latz, daughter of Jacob & Eliza Myers Latz. She lived at 509 S Cicott, right before the curve that takes off to the West of town. While she lived in Richmond after she married, she moved back in 1940 after my G Grandfather died, and lived there til 1969 when she passed. She was nearly 92 when she died, so I had the good fortune of knowing her very well.

We've made several stop in L'sport in the last year. My husband & I spent a day at Mount Hope. Mike, the Sexton, gave me a map of all my ancestors graves, and we found every one of them.

Logansport will always hold a special place in my heart.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:21 AM

12 posts, read 41,657 times
I grew up in Royal Center, a small town about 10 miles north of Logansport. Like others have mentioned, I left the area after high school. I lived and worked in Lafayette for several years, but when my son was born, I came back to the Logansport community. I would much rather raise my son in this community than in any other. I work with Skip for the Economic Development Foundation, and love my job! Having a young son, it is great to be in a position that allows me to be involved in and informed about the things that are happening in the community - and to know that Logansport will have something to offer him in the future.

Southside - you asked about industry and new jobs. The Andersons will begin production at their ethanol plant this spring. It is one of the largest ethanol plants east of the Mississippi River. EC Tech is a brand new company to Logansport, brining new use to a vacant building on the west side of town. They hope to employ up to 120 people in 2-3 years. While new companies are a very visible way for the community to see growth, 70% of new jobs actually come from the expansion of existing businesses. CA Ross is an example that comes to mind. They were a division winner of a business planning contest sponsored by SUCCEED, a local collaborative effort that supports entrepreneurial efforts. Business for them is going well. They have doubled their workforce in just one year. An article in the Pharos Tribune says that their expansion could increase employment by 30% and increase wages by as much as 85%.

Don't let people fool you. Logansport is recreating itself.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 AM

Judi Lyn
I am happy to hear that life is being pumped back into Logan. It's about time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana