Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 12,569 times

Advertisements

While again there is truth to Logan being on the upswing, we can't deny the fact that many in our community are lower class. Otherwise how do you explain that 73% of students at Columbia Elementary are on free/reduced lunch? That isn't because mom & dad are making a good living. It's because they don't have the money to pay for their kids lunch, nor much else. Not to mention the same school has a doctor and a dentist coming into the building to take care of kids health needs because mom & dad can't afford that either.

So before we gloss over some of the obvious lack in our community, why don't we admit that there are some shortcomings here and try to deal with those? These folks don't care about festivals and downtown redevelopment, they want good paying jobs and a way to take care of their families.

And make no mistake, I've reached out the hand of friendship many times only to have it slapped back. People here are just not very accepting of outsiders. And I'm not the only non-native that has experienced that either. Many others who have relocated to Logan have had the same experience. I guess there's just something about not being homegrown that makes us distasteful to those who are. A person only can take so much of that before they finally say enough and just go on about their business doing what they are led to do. Still difficult to know though that no matter what efforts an individual makes, acceptance will never come because it doesn't say LHS on their diploma.

Oh, and about some of those rednecks, I've encountered a few in my time here as well. Many times I've been cussed out by some hothead in a car because I didn't act the way he/she felt that I should be. Even though many times the other person was the one driving stupid. And many times this with my child in the car. Really lovely to have her see her mom being flipped off by some dummy that doesn't know how to drive. But that's not unique to Logan I'm sure, it just seems that there may be more per capita. As for the churches and the bars, also true. There are more churches per capita in Logan for a community this size, than any other community in the U.S. A distinction that was pointed out by a preacher on national radio several years ago. When I had spoken with my neighbor about his, he told me then that several decades ago it was the goal of many Christians to put churches across from every bar in this town. And so that's why there are so many. Really sad to think that there were THAT many bars in this town. It's too bad that some of those Christians don't practice what they preach. It would be a much nicer community to be a part of.

Last edited by notfrmhere; 02-23-2007 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: adding something I forgot

Old 02-23-2007, 05:28 PM

18 posts, read 86,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverms View Post
What the dickens is an ART ASS, I been in Indiana for 21 years and have never heard of that one.
I believe it was refering to the Art Association. It didn't take an Art Ass to see that one.

Last edited by Kado Downs; 02-23-2007 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-23-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrmhere View Post
While again there is truth to Logan being on the upswing, we can't deny the fact that many in our community are lower class. Otherwise how do you explain that 73% of students at Columbia Elementary are on free/reduced lunch? That isn't because mom & dad are making a good living. It's because they don't have the money to pay for their kids lunch, nor much else. Not to mention the same school has a doctor and a dentist coming into the building to take care of kids health needs because mom & dad can't afford that either.

So before we gloss over some of the obvious lack in our community, why don't we admit that there are some shortcomings here and try to deal with those? These folks don't care about festivals and downtown redevelopment, they want good paying jobs and a way to take care of their families.

And make no mistake, I've reached out the hand of friendship many times only to have it slapped back. People here are just not very accepting of outsiders. And I'm not the only non-native that has experienced that either. Many others who have relocated to Logan have had the same experience. I guess there's just something about not being homegrown that makes us distasteful to those who are. A person only can take so much of that before they finally say enough and just go on about their business doing what they are led to do. Still difficult to know though that no matter what efforts an individual makes, acceptance will never come because it doesn't say LHS on their diploma.

Oh, and about some of those rednecks, I've encountered a few in my time here as well. Many times I've been cussed out by some hothead in a car because I didn't act the way he/she felt that I should be. Even though many times the other person was the one driving stupid. And many times this with my child in the car. Really lovely to have her see her mom being flipped off by some dummy that doesn't know how to drive. But that's not unique to Logan I'm sure, it just seems that there may be more per capita. As for the churches and the bars, also true. There are more churches per capita in Logan for a community this size, than any other community in the U.S. A distinction that was pointed out by a preacher on national radio several years ago. When I had spoken with my neighbor about his, he told me then that several decades ago it was the goal of many Christians to put churches across from every bar in this town. And so that's why there are so many. Really sad to think that there were THAT many bars in this town. It's too bad that some of those Christians don't practice what they preach. It would be a much nicer community to be a part of.
number of churches in Cass County: 126
number of bars in Cass County : 31

Do some research before trying to make a point , it will be alot better recieved. I certainly hope your negative attitude isn't the reason for your self imposed exile.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:34 PM

And as for Sully Gardner, it's obvious he's a little upset about getting pulled over and arrested for a DUI in Logansport. Aparently he enjoyed Logan a little too much. And by reading the other posts by this genious, he never has a good thing to say about anyone or anywhere. So as I see it...no slam dunk there.

And not from here....I don't know what to tell you. After a decade of having no friends and and being isolated from people that meets your high standards has obviously taken a toll on you. Good Luck! Perhaps Quicksilverms can invite you over to color. Maybe you two can grab lunch afterwards and discuss the finer works of Sully Gardner.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:26 PM

52 posts, read 188,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado Downs View Post
And as for Sully Gardner, it's obvious he's a little upset about getting pulled over and arrested for a DUI in Logansport. Aparently he enjoyed Logan a little too much. And by reading the other posts by this genious, he never has a good thing to say about anyone or anywhere. So as I see it...no slam dunk there.

And not from here....I don't know what to tell you. After a decade of having no friends and and being isolated from people that meets your high standards has obviously taken a toll on you. Good Luck! Perhaps Quicksilverms can invite you over to color. Maybe you two can grab lunch afterwards and discuss the finer works of Sully Gardner.
ouch! getting a little touchy up there on the north side, take a chill pill, everyone is entitled to an opinion whether good or bad, I just find it amusing to see the petty squabling going on over such an innocent question.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,156,725 times
there's a rumor afoot that they are going to tar and feather Sully for his negative comments. He'd better not be driving around town smelling like alcohol after a church communion service.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,746,092 times
He drove around town counting damaged roofs? 90 houses? Sounds like he was on a mission.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
there's a rumor afoot that they are going to tar and feather Sully for his negative comments. He'd better not be driving around town smelling like alcohol after a church communion service.
Someone asked a very innocent question regarding a home in Logan, and in return got driven away by very bad advise and wives-tells.

It's very shameful and I'm sorry if I can't share your humor in this situation.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:59 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,156,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado Downs View Post
Someone asked a very innocent question regarding a home in Logan, and in return got driven away by very bad advise and wives-tells.

It's very shameful and I'm sorry if I can't share your humor in this situation.
Kado
what Sully Gardner wrote about Logansport was posted on the Internet last fall and it's still out there. a Google search takes you right to it.

I am not out to 'sully' anyone's reputation.

Maybe the good folks of Logansport need their own 'Town Hall Net' forum where they can post about different things going on in the town or about what should be going on to make it a better place to live and work. Of course, they should be able to use either their real names like Sully Gardner or screen names if they are fearful their reputations may be sullied.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-24-2007 at 07:57 AM..

Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 12,569 times
You know what Kado, you're right. You & the Chamber & the LEDF and all those people. What can the rest of us possibly know?

Amazing how well acquainted you are with my situation that you can totally see all aspects and sides of it. Maybe next time you see me, you'll actually say hello instead of walking on past.

I have better things to do with my time, so I'll bid adieu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana