Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,767,945 times

Advertisements

Based on my experience, I've put together a list of qualifications one should have in order to be a successful recruiter:

1) be a moron, a jerk, preferably both
2) capable of telling someone, with a straight face, "I'll call you back" and then don't follow through
3) able to write convincing, yet fake, job descriptions, in order to collect resumes
4) enjoy wasting people's time

On the scum scale, I rate headhunters worse than debt collectors.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 PM

27 posts, read 114,941 times
I got the job I currently hold through a recruiter, but before I got the job I also spoke with several other recruiters trying to find anyone that could help me in my job seach. I was a recent grad btw and most told me that they probably would not be able to help me.

I really think its a mixed bag. When looking for a job you've got to use all the resources that are available for you and that can include recruiters.

But yes, some people out there are scumbags. This seems to be particularly true when someone is peddling a product or service.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Based on my experience, I've put together a list of qualifications one should have in order to be a successful recruiter:

2) capable of telling someone, with a straight face, "I'll call you back" and then don't follow through
3) able to write convincing, yet fake, job descriptions, in order to collect resumes

Agree. I found many recruiters that I used to deal with extremely arrogant and disingenuous. Not saying that all are bad, but many do not have half of the integrity of a used car salesman.

The worst are the ones that frequently call and email, knowing full well that they're not interested in hiring you. They are trying to meet their "contact quota".

Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 PM

299 posts, read 903,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Agree. I found many recruiters that I used to deal with extremely arrogant and disingenuous. Not saying that all are bad, but many do not have half of the integrity of a used car salesman.

The worst are the ones that frequently call and email, knowing full well that they're not interested in hiring you. They are trying to meet their "contact quota".
I agree with both points. Most recruiters are even shadier than used car salesmen, and that's saying something.

In the past, I've had my resume uploaded to sites like careerbuilder and monster (bad idea ), and been bombarded with phone calls and emails from recruiters with schemers like American Income Life and Primerica that are just trying to meet their monthly "quota."

IMO, if a company has a strong brand name and a good reputation, there is no need for them to have any recruiters.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
I agree with both points. Most recruiters are even shadier than used car salesmen, and that's saying something.

In the past, I've had my resume uploaded to sites like careerbuilder and monster (bad idea ), and been bombarded with phone calls and emails from recruiters with schemers like American Income Life and Primerica that are just trying to meet their monthly "quota."

IMO, if a company has a strong brand name and a good reputation, there is no need for them to have any recruiters.
Not exactly true.

Recruiters have their place. In my previous life, I have worked as both an internal recruiter and a headhunter.

One thing that people need to learn is that the recruiter is not there for YOU.

They are only there for their client company. Once you digest that working with a recruiter is a lot easier and you can manage your expectations.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Is this thread just an excuse to blame someone for all of the jobs you didn't get?

If a recruiter didn't call you back maybe you should work harder to look more attractive to them. That is their job. Take your big-boy pill and deal with it. They aren't there to coddle you.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:28 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Recruiters don't have a favorable image either for candidates or clients, but occasionally will come up with a good match. I have gotten several jobs through them so don't write them off.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:59 AM

151 posts, read 569,881 times
Let's not confuse recruiters from staffing agencies with executive recruiters from decent firms. Recruiters from staffing agencies where you work through them are typically of a lower class than recruiters from firms who get paid directly through the company to place talent. I agree I loathed dealing with them and their staffing games like those scam interviews where they call you in even though they have no jobs so they can ask where have been applying and the names of past managers to call and sell their services to.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:

These days most recruiters are scum, but not all of them.

Your problems stem from your own actions not those of the recruiter.

To fix your problems, take action:

1) You should talk with the recruiter a bit before using them. That way you may find out they are a moron or a jerk before you rely on them for anything.
2) Again if you take some time talking with the recruiter before using them in your job search you'll find out if they returne phone calls.
3) If the first thing you do is send a resume in response to a job ad you're asking for problems, so really you're getting what you ask for.
4) You're not making sure to get something from them before you send a resume and that's just plain bad job hunting.

The best way to find a job is networking. You don't ever need to deal with a recruiter. Every company *loves* to find people that will bring value to the business and either make the owner money or make the organization run better!

If you meet a recruiter or two that's fine. Just be sure they are gonna' work for you. Many people say recruiters work for the hiring company, not the job hunter. Make no mistake, the recruiter is working for *theirself*!!! But, a good recruiter matches the right person to the right job so the recruiters job is to help both the company and the job hunter.

Also keep in mind with sales (and that's what you're doing when job hunting, you're selling yourself) a 2% response rate is good. So if you are sending bunches of resumes (which is stupid) you should only expect 2 responses out of 100 resumes sent.

You should be finding companies that you want to work for. Then researching those companies to make connections to show your value. Every knucklehead out there is sending hundreds of resumes, are you a knucklehead? If not, use a different approach to your job search.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:

A headhunter is not the same thing as a recruiter for a staffing firm.

Headhunters are great if you have a specific career path, are at a managerial level, and earn an "above average" salary for where you are. They are the ones who are quietly looking for candidates for companies who don't want to advertise their open position. (For instance, maybe they want to fire the guy who is currently working there.) These jobs tend to pay well. I am looking for a new job, and have been putting the word out with headhunters. That said, this is one of many job hunting techniques I am using. I would not rely on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search