Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM

763 posts, read 2,607,256 times

Advertisements

You're entering into that forbidden "too much experience" category. I've been in it for about 15 years now.

Quote:
4. Less qualified people getting the job. I have managed to Google and snoop on various sites to find the person who ended up with the job. In many cases it is someone more qualified than me and I understand this. However more often than not the person is much less qualified, including recent grads. I have seen a lot of jobs go to visa workers too.
In RED: This is because they work cheaper than you would. Unfortunately, companies and businesses will sacrifice experience and quality work to save $$$. Pretty pathetic, IMHO.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 PM

216 posts, read 476,032 times
Default looking for a job

I would like to add that some corporations include in their background screening things like
medical problems of you and your family, workman's comp claims and any legal action
against a previous employer.

Illegal aliens whose identity is only a year old and never file workmen's comp claims
have a real advantage in some job categories.

I loved the HR interviews though because I was in the early years of comp sci and I was a programmer. If they just slid me through to the manager
I'd be nice and polite; but if they played games, I got nasty.

One lady asked me what I'd like to be when I grew up. (I was 40 at the time)
and I decided I had enough.

I said anything except working in personnel.

When she asked me why, reminding me that everything I said was going on
her report, I just responded with a smile that I wouldn't feel very secure in a career
when the company could replace me with a call to any temporary clerical office.
I got the job offer, turned it down.

Yes, Personnel hated all us computer geeks with a passion; The pay scale was white collar
but they showed up in jeans and combat boots. I didn't. The managers really
hated us, especially when it came to salary guidelines. I was averaging 50% per year increase
just by jumping jobs..

Working for an airline once I was given my yearly review
of zero out of 10 and asked what I was going to do about it. I said I would need
a 50% percent increase within two weeks. I laid my latest job offer on the desk.

That was a little awkward because after they matched it and I agreed to stay
I quit a few months later and then on the way home from my new job which fortunately
wasn't far away, I dropped in and maintained their systems for free otherwise the flights
would fly empty and the airline would go bankrupt and I owned a lot of stock.
It took them five months to get a replacement up to speed.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrunner View Post
I would like to add that some corporations include in their background screening things like medical problems of you and your family, workman's comp claims and any legal action against a previous employer.
How could an employer obtain medical information on an applicant OR their family? That's a strict HIPAA violation and an applicant would have to sign an authorization allowing a prosepctive employer to do that, but they could not sign one for their family members. In all my years, I've never had a prospective employer ask about mine or my family's medical history.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,955,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
How could an employer obtain medical information on an applicant OR their family? That's a strict HIPAA violation and an applicant would have to sign an authorization allowing a prosepctive employer to do that, but they could not sign one for their family members. In all my years, I've never had a prospective employer ask about mine or my family's medical history.
Well, there is the Medical Information Bureau. Here's a link that explains it more in detail

The Medical Information Bureau - How to Access the Medical Information Bureau

I've pulled mine and it dad have family history included.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Well, there is the Medical Information Bureau. Here's a link that explains it more in detail

The Medical Information Bureau - How to Access the Medical Information Bureau

I've pulled mine and it dad have family history included.
WOW. That's horrible! WTH happened to privacy?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,391,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Resources Expert View Post
Here are some scary trends in hiring being brought up in the recruiters group I belong to:

8) Require a college degree for administrative support positions
What exactly is the point of this?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It's interesting about the HS part of the application. When I filled out mine, which was after I was hired for the purpose of a background check, I skipped filling in any information about my HS creds. It's unnecessary information in my line of work at least, so I didn't bother with it and nobody asked about it.
I did the same. I have a bachelor's and a master's. Who cares about my high school diploma?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I did the same. I have a bachelor's and a master's. Who cares about my high school diploma?
Exactly. If you have a degree(s) listed, what's the point of listing HS information?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,664,733 times
I think you made these points up.

Reject anyone with a foreign-"sounding" name? for real? lol

Old 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Another thing I hate is when they not only ask about my high school education but they want the full address.

For what? Its in Baltimore, MD. Google it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.